Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shortz have to attack today. This may be their last chance to scare off buyers of the Model Y and the 3 SR by trying to convince them the company is falling apart.

Well buoys, here's some news: TSLA is not the company! People don't give a *sugar* about your stock shenanigans. People want those CARS.

And by Monday morning, Tesla will likely have racked up about $50M in Autopilot/FSD sales, and taken in about the same in ORDERS for the Model Y. That's a $100M in a weekend, howzat?

P.S. Tesla don't need you know mow. Buh-bye. :p

Indeed. Who will buy an I-Pace or E-tron now?

Variety is attractive, the question is at what production numbers does it remain profitable? This is a really big market, though.

Let's see, where do they like/need high ceilings.... body, no? So that they can have robots both overhead and underneath, right? So I'd guess that the tall section is body.

Body stamping requires gigantic machines in all dimensions.
I'd also guess filters above the paint shop take up volume.

Maxwell acquisition offer extended by about 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

Maybe they got counter offers? Or want to wait for a judge to reject the lawsuits filed by some Maxwell shareholders?
SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

I’m no acquisition expert, but I’ll note that the filing states that only 4m shares have been tendered out of about 46m shares outstanding. Have shareholders been voting? Or tendering?

If it takes 3.5 years from the production start date of the Model 3 to the same for the Model Y, which have approximately 70% parts in common, how long will it take to design and bring a truck, which will probably have 5% parts in common, to production?

I'm guessing 2024 to 2025. Anyone else have a guess?

I never wanted Apple to buy Tesla, but oh my, what could Elon do with several billion dollars at his disposal? I'm starting to think Tesla being bought is the only way we're going to see some real progress towards a full lineup of vehicles for Tesla. I don't have an entire lifetime to wait on this - I had already used about half of it up when Tesla got started!

The Semi doesn't need to be built at the same speed, so the ramp up is much less complex. If you mean pickup, each time they ramp up a production line, they gain experience, so it's possible to cut significant time off of future, mostly non-interchangeable parts, because they already know the method.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Volkswagen — The automaker and former CEO Martin Winterkorn have been charged and sued by the Securities and Exchange Commission, accused of perpetrating a "massive fraud" in connection with its diesel emissions scandal. The SEC said the automaker issued more than $13 billion in debt in U.S. markets when executives already knew about software that allowed diesel cars to exceed legal emissions limits.
One could think VW is second auto-manufacturer (after Tesla) to invest fully in BEV. I'd like the regulators to go after other auto giants, now that VW has made the switch. As far as I know, no ICE on the market actually respect the emissions limits: it's just that a defeat device has been found and the some persons responsible for it have been charged for the crime. I guess VW allows other fossil manufacturers to deflect public's attention on one scapegoat.

IMG_1557.png IMG_7461.jpeg IMG_3446.jpeg Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 7.26.58 AM.jpg
At 56, this is the best shot I got at sexy...
IMG_1514.jpeg
Happy to loan Elon $2,500 if he can help me there.

First SUV/CUV that looks good to me.
But then, I'm anti-SUV.
As long as it has high seating position, my guess is it will sell well.
BTW, my wife is excited to get smallish CUV that can seat 6+ in a pinch. She never wanted Model X because of how big it is.

I agree. The driving dynamics will be those of the M3. Which means more satisfying than any CUV competition for the next several years at least. All the things that make the M3 a revolutionary vehicle are also in the M3. It should sell very well in Europe since more modestly proportioned vehicles are preferred.

In my opinion people here who were expecting MY to be revolutionary in comparison to M3 were not getting what Tesla and the world need right now to continue the ICE disruption and Master Plan part 2. Tesla will be able to sell as many as can be produced the first few years after it first rolls off the lines. Very likely that the advanced wiring modules will be cheaper than what M3 has now and can be automated on the line, margin can be larger than M3 and it will be an even better cash cow than M3 is now becoming. The advanced wiring is not the only production cost improvement. Less complex battery pack is another we know about and there will surely be others.

I don't expect last night's reveal will lead to much SP increase. Both due to the time line layed out for its introduction and because the last thing the myopic analysts are going to recognize now is MY will be another big step in Tesla solidifying it's future growth into the dominant EV manufacturer. Surfing the sweet spot of the 50 foot wave that will be the ICE to EV transition over the next ten years.

Anybody else think that the new GF3/Shanghai render looks eerily like Lathrop? All those docks/bays lining the sides of the building are the fingerprint of the Sprung structure style of manufacturing pioneered in Fremont with the GA4 line. Seems to me, that's the same style used for the new Tesla facility in Tilburg, NL too.

View attachment 386619

By this line of thinking, Lathrop itself could/should then be the next GF (for Semi/MY).

Given that MY is feature complete, it seems "late next year" is surprising - so either under promising, or it has to do with resource/capital allocation, or osbourning M3 sales.

Putting aside I really dislike the design. I have to ask “y”?

The mission is to electrify the worldwide fleet. Why not pick the most popular CUV/SUV style/shape to sell to the masses that already has proven curb appeal?

Eg...Mazda cx9 or cx5...Volvo Xc90/60, BMW X3/5, Mercedes....Honda..Toyota...ford etc. People like em. They sell. Take the body style..,and put an electric motor in it. Yes it will have a bit less range...but also on the flip side more utility ( sloped roof anyone?).

I really do feels the answers will comes in fits of cohesive design language, but underneath it all i do question wether any designer given a blank slate like Franz had, could set aside their ego and follow in someone else’s footsteps, rather than create their own jellybean like mold.
Apologize if already addressed but Franz didn't have a clean sheet of paper to start. They purposely shared a significant DNA with the Model 3 for reasons we've beat to death. Not uncommon for large scale production.

By this line of thinking, Lathrop itself could/should then be the next GF (for Semi/MY).

Given that MY is feature complete, it seems "late next year" is surprising - so either under promising, or it has to do with resource/capital allocation, or osbourning M3 sales.

"Sokath, his eyes opened!" - Dathon at El-Adrel :rolleyes:

My take on the 2020 fall production timeline:

1. Under promise and over deliver. No more self inflicted wounds.

2. 2020 instead of early 2020 will minimize the potential near term Osborne effect on Model 3 sales. If undecided on 3 or Y right now, fewer people will wait for Model Y.

Once SR Model 3 production kicks it up into the high gear, the organic sales should be strong enough to counter any Osborne effect.

Model Y seems great, good reveal.

General question: why does Tesla/Elon deem it necessary to unveil the car 1,5 years before start of production? It seems to me there are way more disadvantages than advantages.

I'm thinking mainly to reduce the possibility of leaks, but other than that... Any help from people with more of a business background? Other car manufacturers do the same so there must be valid reasons. I just don't know them.

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
I was disappointed by the presentation in that it ruined my nights sleep. I turned up for the "one other thing" which I thought could be super exciting, but there wasn't anything...

The Model Y looks exactly like the Model 3 but a bit taller so a bit of a non-event. However, that is actually what Tesla needs, if the Model Y were way better than the other models then it would Osbourne them!

I couldn't be happier with my Model 3, I think it is a bargain at the EUR78,000 I paid, for half that price this thing is the most revolutionary product ever!

My wife will be ordering a Model Y because she likes the taller seating position as she is small and its easier to get the kids in and out. We will get the long range rear wheel drive one to take on road trips so we can take more stuff than in our M3P.