Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like who didn’t profit off that? I know I loved seeing my SCTY shares change to TSLA shares. Lots of people here made ‘free’ money on that merger.
plus there was an odd but predictable oscillation of SCTY and TSLA share prices that gained me a few extra shares that was pointed out by someone here.

The most satisfying - and one of the absolutely most lucrative in light of the sheer numbers - TSLA trade I yet have made was waiting until the last few hours before the proxy takeover vote on Sept 16, 2016, to pick up an ungodly amount of SCTY at very, very close to the low print.

I think it was at $14.10/sh for SCTY, as I see my cost basis for the TSLA shares they became is $31.026, adjusted pre-split that was $155.13….and it was an 11:1 conversion, was it not?
Yes. 11:1

'The reports originates from a couple of South Korean publications and claim that Samsung’s camera modules will be used by Tesla’s latest electric vehicle that was unveiled in November 2019, i.e., the Cybertruck. The prototype vehicle showcased on stage wasn’t equipped with conventional rearview mirrors, but instead, it used an array of cameras connected to the dashboard’s displays. The production model shouldn’t be all that different from the original prototype, and these reports further confirm that the Cybertruck will have a mirrorless design.'

Indeed, there was a point where the arbitrage was set and one could get some $TSLA for free, the only risk being that the shareholder vote went against it. I didn't bite myself, but regretted it afterwards

What is certain is that $SCTY was heavily shorted and Tesla buying them out burnt a lot of shorts - as I understand it, much of $TSLAQ is made up of Solar City short-sellers

Yup both GJ and Chanos came via Solarcity ;)

Quite an impotent MMD, if there even was any effort. I guess this is just the unwinding of last weeks irrational but predictable holiday week push down. They don't call it a "short trading week" for nothing!

I guess the SEC is perfectly fine with this. It's totally within the purview of a small handful of market makers who are simply trying to help out the masses by flattening out volatility. Where would we be without these wonderful public servants?

4680 production is at Kato Rd in CA.
You have quoted me without context. Here’s what I said:
Suppose Bill was making 4680 cells in Nevada, knowing they were destined to be made into packs at Fremont. He sees the signed pack photo and goes "ahah, there it is, confirmed", not twigging that the makers of the 18650 non-structural plaid pack were equally proud of their work.

I think Fremont is making 4680 packs and maybe Nevada is making 4680 cells, but the photo is of a non structural 18650 pack. The other possibility is that Bill went to Kato Road where he had his hands on 4680 cells. Photos are nice, but it's the facts that matter.

Exclusively Kato Rd? We don’t know. What we do know is that Bill says he had his hands on the contents of a 4680 pack, and that Bill works in Nevada. Inconclusive, but worth remembering should further clues emerge.

Edit: another possibility is that Bill did not go to Kato road, but that the cells went from Kato Rd to Giga Nevada (to be made into pack?).

Last edited:
Reactions: AZRI11
Yeah, not sure what damages they are trying to claim. I have seen quite the opposite with my shares.
Fully agree as I was working to acquire both TSLA and SCTY - although I did chose poorly on my last purchase after the announcement was made as I purchased more SCTY instead of TSLA.........the difference in the long run was buying TSLA at 240 instead of 180 after all was adjusted, so I could have had about 1/3 more TSLA on that last purchase IIRC. But I do not feel compelled to blame anyone but myself for the outcome of that dice roll.

However, IMO the much bigger story of this BS court case is being completely overlooked in the mainstream media - and many sources must know more of the story than the ‘Elon hate’ they are simply printing for clicks now. The planet is burning up, the entire west coast is in triple digit temps and covered with forest fires, and not a single word during this case about the stories that made TMC at the time all this went down - such as Warren Buffett and NV Energy’s behind the scenes efforts to destroy net metering and all solar incentives to protect their precious coal plants supplied from Buffett’s precious coal train investments that deliver Black Death from their precious coal mines across the country. SCTY was a sincere existential threat to this perfect model of owning the entire coal process. And despite SCTY having yuuuge demand in NV and a climate-friendly plan & product......it was rubbed out in its previous form. Could there be a connection there?

In a more perfect world the media sources that pretend to care about Climate issues for clicks would consider leading with a story that compared the Carbon Footprint of SCTY to NV Energy, and of Elon/TSLA vs Berkshire Hathaway, and then they would discuss this all in a manner to help educate the public of all the benefits of growing residential and commercial rooftop solar all across the desert Southwest to create a far more stable Distributed Grid that could help supply the entire West Coast grid during an unprecedented moment of need in this heat wave and fire mess that has everyone living with potential rolling blackouts - heck, those same residential and commercial rooftop solar installations that might have been killed off by Protectionism could be benefiting Texas too if they learned anything from their last catastrophe.

Yep - when I see Elon on the stand - once again taking it for the team - it makes me sincerely angry at sources like the NYTs and every news channel that leads with a fear mongering climate story but won’t lean in to help the most important entrepreneur of our time who is doing more than anyone else I am aware of to help transition us to a more sustainable future. At this moment they should have Elon’s back - and thank him for the chance at a better world he is giving their kids and grandkids. If it wasn’t for Twitter and YouTube I sometimes wonder if Elon would have lasted this long. If it wasn’t for Twitter, Michael Cannon-Brookes & Elon could have never made South Australia’s battery paradigm shift happen. Thus I am never surprises to see more conventional media sources crying about Twitter and YouTube.

All this is my opinion - an opinion based on following ‘everything TSLA’ very closely for the last decade - for better or worse. But that is why I enjoy still spending time on TMC - because there is a large group of people here that try to share and understand ‘the rest of the story’. Let’s hope some of the rest of that SCTY story that was shared here over the years surfaces to a broader audience before this court case is over, instead of just another well-timed Elon court case for Elon-bashing purposes. It would be sincerely interesting to learn if there was any truth behind the Darker side of the SCTY end-of-times, and it would be sincerely refreshing to see anything in the main-stream media begin to educate the public on the benefits of a Distributed Grid powered from residential and commercial rooftop solar and storage instead.

Why is ARKK investment not doing quite so well compared to TSLA when they are presumably holding slightly over 10%? These 2 stocks breath together usually for me.

1626108750865.png

Today seems different, something happened at Tesla. Oh, FSD and Model Y news?

Something tells me they're not done with surprises.

(Edit: Added chart)

Reactions: FireMedic
Q2 Deliveries are 9% higher than Q1 but GAAP Earnings for Q2 will grow by 72%.
For those interested in what is driving this 72% growth, I have a post here explaining it:
Does this take into account that Elon took out the radar? COGS game of pennies changed to $50/car.

Yup both GJ and Chanos came via Solarcity ;)

Chanos has been around a little longer than that:

Oct 7 2013: Chanos Lays Out Bearish Thesis on Tesla

Chanos Lays Out Bearish Thesis on Tesla

Nov 19 2014: Short-Seller Jim Chanos Took A Swipe At Tesla At A Conference In London

Short-Seller Jim Chanos Took A Swipe At Tesla At A Conference In London

Jan 15 2015:Jim Chanos makes cases against Tesla

Jim Chanos makes cases against Intel and Tesla

Oct 9 2015: Short-Seller Jim Chanos Makes Tesla’s Tough Week Even Worse

Short-Seller Jim Chanos Makes Tesla’s Tough Week Even Worse

Sep 13 2016: Kynikos Associates founder Jim Chanos’ best stock idea: Short Tesla

This shows why Tesla-SolarCity is a 'crazy' merger, Jim Chanos says

Chanos has been around a little longer than that:

Oct 7 2013: Chanos Lays Out Bearish Thesis on Tesla

Chanos Lays Out Bearish Thesis on Tesla

Nov 19 2014: Short-Seller Jim Chanos Took A Swipe At Tesla At A Conference In London

Short-Seller Jim Chanos Took A Swipe At Tesla At A Conference In London

Jan 15 2015:Jim Chanos makes cases against Tesla

Jim Chanos makes cases against Intel and Tesla

Oct 9 2015: Short-Seller Jim Chanos Makes Tesla’s Tough Week Even Worse

Short-Seller Jim Chanos Makes Tesla’s Tough Week Even Worse

Sep 13 2016: Kynikos Associates founder Jim Chanos’ best stock idea: Short Tesla

This shows why Tesla-SolarCity is a 'crazy' merger, Jim Chanos says
Jim Chanos will go to his grave claiming that "Tesla is worth zero" as he has repeated delusionally many times over the years. When his time finally comes, it will hopefully be him that is actually worth zero.

I'm somewhat surprised that Bill Wright has been an open source of insider information without any hand slapping by Tesla. Does anyone remember Vicki Salvador? She worked in the paint shop at Fremont and was regularly posting updates on the goings on and production numbers as an insider. She was mostly positive in her postings but it was somehow in violation. It was rumored that there is some modicum of discretion or maybe even a watered down NDA upon employment which she violated and was eventually fired. She has since become much more critical as could be expected, sour grapes and all.
How does Bill seem to be doxing himself and still allowed to make public announcement without similar consequences? How much longer before he suffers the same fate as Vicki?
Production number is too relevant to financial result, wouldn't surprise me to get slapped for it

I was expecting Mainstreet Media to create a list of FSD Assists and quirks like this, but it's out so soon? We're over a week from earnings still.
The good news is that many more will hear that FSD Beta 9 is being tested, the movies have started again, and one just made it down Lombard Street at night.

Those Waymo fails are abundant and boring. But it's those Tesla videos that blow my mind by how quickly the future got pulled in. I mean... how old were you when you could first drive a car? And now how old is FSD? Does anyone see a trend here?

Many of those scenarios were on downtown city streets which are the most complex roads. Most people aren't going to encounter planters or huge rail pylons in the road when driving. The one way street was also in a parking lot. Not saying it isn't important that these scenarios are solved, just that most people will not come across these things often. This gives fsd more time to figure these corner cases out as it solves more commonplace issues that the majority of drivers come across now.