Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Model X can tow an airplane, what can a Cybertruck tow?

I tried to look for what's 14,000 pounds (7 tons):

• 1 T-Rex
  • 3 Rhinoceros
  • 4 Cars
  • 9.5 Cows
  • 12 Grizzly Bears
  • 14 Grand Pianos
  • 15 Horses
  • 85 Beer Kegs
  • 500 Gold Bars
14,000 is the rated towing for safe highway speeds. The cybertruck can probably pull a 747 intercontinental fully loaded at low speeds.

Palladium S/X. Mostly because of their higher pack voltage. As you know, Watts = Volts x Amps (10% higher pack voltage = 10% ↑ chg)
Only if voltage drop in cables was the limiting factor (W=I^2×R) or they changed chemistry (allowable C rate)
Otherwise, just putting the same cells in series instead of parallel (more volts, less amps, same kWh) does not increase charge rate.

Reactions: hacer and JRP3
Benzinga - today: Tesla Aviation

Headlines only:

Morgan Stanley On Tesla Aviation: Firm Believes The Chance That Tesla Does Not Ultimately Offer Products And Services To The eVTOl And Unmanned-Aircraft Markets Is Remote As Potential Skills Transferability And Network Adjacency Too Strong To Ignore

Morgan Stanley On Tesla Aviation: Firm 'Not Convinced' That Tesla Will Have Road Presence, Underground Presence, And Space Presence, But No Aviation Presence

So long as Tesla, SpaceX. etc (i.e. Elon Musk) does not become arrogant major success will ensue. The day hubris appears disaster will soon follow.

We all need to be very careful lest we lose all that we have gained. We do need to understand history.

Elon Musk is the last person who would be likely to become arrogant. Arrogance is in direct opposition to first principles thinking. Yes, Musk could change for the worse by becoming arrogant, anything is possible, but my impression is that looking at the world through first principles is so ingrained into the very way that Elon has looked at the world since he was a small boy, he's probably not going to change. Another way to say this is the very basis of Elon's success is because he's not arrogant. If success was going to change that, it would almost certainly have happened by now.

As to thinking that Tesla will "grow endlessly at high levels to take over automotive and renewable energy", it depends upon the meaning of "endlessly" and "take over". Certainly it's possible for Tesla to grow for decades and be the primary dominate force in both energy and automotive for as far as the eye can see. Likely? Maybe not, but I also wouldn't bet against it. Endless growth? No, nothing created by man is endless.

That said, while I've observed that some people think fantastic success is a 100% sure thing, that's silly because nothing is a sure thing, I've not observed anyone who thought Tesla's growth was "endless". To my way of looking at the world, it's all a matter of probabilities and none of us can predict the actual outcome. Elon knows this too. As an investor, I put my money where I see the best risk/reward ratios. And I manage risk by not putting all my investable assets in the one investment that I judge to have the highest reward/risk ratio.

Last edited:
This is only due to the fact that our government is run by special interests instead of collectively seeking for the best possible outcome. Things could change quickly for the better if society wanted it that bad....
True, but with gerrymandering and voter suppression, it would take about a 98% majority to achieve rather than the 60% that it should be.

I’m assuming Samsung & LG are making 4680 format cells using a traditional wet electrode process? Or at least not the same dry electrode process Tesla has developed for its own cell production.
I would expect so given how new it is for Tesla. However given the cost savings it offers, Tesla may need to licence it to LG et al just so they can buy cheap cells.

Whatever higher powers y'all pray to....please start praying for these people in this 'survey'
1626370077816.png

Ford is beta-testing V0.1 Overcharging in Norway:

"a salesperson based in Eidsdal confirmed that the incidents did involve Ford Mustang Mach-Es. “I have had six salvages of the same car model in 14 days,” he said. Since the vehicles were stopped, Rønneberg noted that the Mach-Es had to be transported using a tow truck. "​

Towed to the dealer: OTA updates, 1970s-style. :p

Cheers!

“We have been made aware of a very small number of Mustang Mach-E in Norway, where the electric motor has stopped on steep downhills."

A "very small number"? I think I can translate that:

"A very small number" = every single Mach-e that has attempted to drive down Eagle Road to the popular tourist spot at the bottom had to be towed back out.

It also sounds like Ford is claiming their OTA update system cannot update this problem OTA until a planned software upgrade this fall. So Ford's OTA update system is still not functional.

Whatever higher powers y'all pray to....please start praying for these people in this 'survey'
View attachment 684785
I had to double check this is not from the Onion.

This is equivalent of asking horse owners what they love about their horse, and they say it’s the smell of horse waste…

Last edited:
Good points. There are some real advantages to the tax credits, I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Like everything in this world, it's a matter of being efficient with our financial resources. IMO, we are way beyond needing tax credits to encourage the transition to EV's, what we need is better infrastructure to maximize the benefits of the transition and to accelerate it. Tax credits have already served their role in jumpstarting the transition, they are not an efficient use of resources any longer. But lobbyists lobby for them and tax credits will happen because they get paid to grub for money.
Yeah, I agree that there could be better ways to spend the money. But it's our government, we get what we get. If I had my druthers we would just end all the fossil fuel subsidies (direct and indirect) but said druthers are rarely had.

Good points. There are some real advantages to the tax credits, I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Like everything in this world, it's a matter of being efficient with our financial resources. IMO, we are way beyond needing tax credits to encourage the transition to EV's, what we need is better infrastructure to maximize the benefits of the transition and to accelerate it. Tax credits have already served their role in jumpstarting the transition, they are not an efficient use of resources any longer. But lobbyists lobby for them and tax credits will happen because they get paid to grub for money.

I sort of agree. But I think a $3000-$5000 tax credit would do as much to spur real adoption and $7500+ is just over the top. Tesla has positioned prices to take advantage of the extra unnecessary money as they can sell full production with zero credits. A simplified credit of $3000, available to all vehicles with 150+ miles epa range , with no price caps or manufacturer limits would do the most for the money. At $10k credit, the cybertruck wait list will be 5 years. Every Model 3 that can be made will be sold at $39k+, because it becomes a $29k car with a resale value similar to net purchase price after 3 years. And no Model Y SR would be introduced in the USA.