Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Car And Driver numbers at least are USA-only (or perhaps inc Canada, I am unsure), and are 6-month YTD, i.e. Q1+Q2. The Car And Driver text seems fairly clear that they are Q1+Q2 when I read the text and look at what we know of sales data. For sure we can see that they cannot be global numbers by comparing them with Tesla Q2 P&D numbers which are 382,140 for Q1+Q2 for 3/Y vs the 127,939 for the 3/Y shown here. Anyway here are the Car And Driver numbers in a table. The Teslarati article is best ignored.

View attachment 686546

How did they come up with 6200 model X sold this year? Tesla reported 2000 S&X for Q1 and 1800 for Q2 including likely zero model X, and those figures are worldwide. Hmm.

Maybe this is registration data so it’s on a bit of a lag and includes some December sales?

How did they come up with 6200 model X sold this year? Tesla reported 2000 S&X for Q1 and 1800 for Q2 including likely zero model X, and those figures are worldwide. Hmm.

Maybe this is registration data so it’s on a bit of a lag and includes some December sales?
Indeed, my guess is that it is reg data, hence the numbers/lag-term.

On a related subject - now that EV-Sales-Blog has gone dark, perhaps now it is appropriate for TMC to collectively collect global EV and PHEV sales (registration) data on a country-by-country and model and brand basis to create a substitute picture of what is happening out there.

I appreciate there are some individual country efforts within TMC, but is there an appetite amongst enough people to try and solve every country every month. It would likely need to be a Google dcs effort with a motivated and reliable team. Basically we would be creating a substitute for the EV-Sales-Blog people.

What do peoples think ?

(drop me a private message if you'd like to volunteer, noting which countries/areas you can contribute to)

Then how is it that Tesla currently provides a CCS2 adapter for older Model S & X to charge on v3 superchargers in EU/AU/NZ that only have a CCS2 plug? I imagine the adapter required in the US would be similar to this with a CCS1 male to tesla female adapter and the necessary microprocessor to communicate between the SC and a Tesla billing app.

View attachment 686444
This caused me to take a closer look at CharIN's position paper which has this table:
charin.png

So it seems that CharIN has not taken a position on making adapters FROM CCS chargers TO cars that lack CCS connectors. Instead they are steadfast against allowing adapters FROM non-CCS chargers TO cars which have CCS connectors. This throws in a new wrinkle on a lot of the discussion here about Tesla making an adapter to allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at superchargers.

So my original post which was about a Combo2-to-US-Tesla adapter was wrong, at least regrading CharIN's position paper.

I guess CharIN is willing to accept tapping into Tesla's customers but certainly will not approve of Tesla tapping into their customers.

Last edited:
@The Accountant If that prior tax, loss related adjustment* is done this quarter, doesn’t that works as offsetting the bitcoin impairment?

Yes. If Tesla recognizes any portion of their deferred tax asset benefit this quarter it would partially or fully offset the bitcoin impairment.

What are the odds that the adjustment will be made this quarter? Can it be done across multiple quarters, or only once ever?
Copying @st_lopes on this response as he has much more tax expertise than I do.
We have seen other companies in this situation take most of the benefit at one time and not spread over several quarters. But it can be taken over several quarters/years.
However, there is one factor that may be different for Telsa now than with the other companies in the past.
In 2018, the US tax law changed so that there is no expiration on using past losses to offset future tax income starting with the 2018 tax filing..

The table below is not 100% accurate but directionally Tesla's $2B deferred tax benefit can be outlined as follows:
1626868502529.png

Of the $2B in Deferred Tax Benefit, about $200m from 2018 and $133m in 2019 have no expiration.
So perhaps Tesla can take the position that $333m ($200m+$133m) will more likely than not be used in the future and book $333m to income in Q2.
Contrary to what TSLAQ claims, Tesla takes a conservative approach with their accounting so I am not counting on this. But it's possible.

Last edited:
Then how is it that Tesla currently provides a CCS2 adapter for older Model S & X to charge on v3 superchargers in EU/AU/NZ that only have a CCS2 plug? I imagine the adapter required in the US would be similar to this with a CCS1 male to tesla female adapter and the necessary microprocessor to communicate between the SC and a Tesla billing app.

View attachment 686444
One thing that's interesting about that adapter is that it's intended to be used with CCS superchargers, thus both sides are Tesla designed and built. Do you know if this adapter works at non-Tesla CCS charging stations?

Edit:
And could @cliffski buy this adapter to charge his old model S at UK CCS superchargers?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax
Here's another thought that will cause some orgasmic behavior from wall street.

Tesla Supercharging Access Subscription Service
-Free for Tesla owners
-19.99/month for non Tesla owners

2.4 billion dollars/year of free money on 10 million non tesla subscribers
Average spend of 30 dollars/month supercharging is another 3.6 billion dollars/year

Tesla will end up making MORE profit from a car build by another car manufacture over the life span of the car of 15 years than the car manufacture.
Interesting.

Seems to me this could include Time Of Use considerations.

3 prices.

1 off peak use
2 off peak and edge times
3 all access

Alternatively, access could be in the form of an auction for access priority based on charge tokens renewed monthly.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Reactions: Robertj
Bad news....Ford has perfected autonomous driving, GM is almost there, and Tesla is nowhere in sight.

Ford and Argo AI to launch self-driving cars with Lyft by the end of the year

If you actually believe that "Ford has perfected autonomous driving," I have several bridges in Brooklyn to sell you

This caused me to take a closer look at CharIN's position paper which has this table:
View attachment 686559
So it seems that CharIN has not taken a position on making adapters FROM CCS charges TO cars that lack CCS connectors. Instead they are steadfast against allowing adapters FROM non-CCS chargers TO cars which have CCS connectors. This throws in a new wrinkle on a lot of the discussion here about Tesla making an adapter to allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at superchargers.

So my original post which was about a Combo2-to-US-Tesla adapter was wrong, at least regrading CharIN's position paper.

I guess CharIN is willing to accept tapping into Tesla's customers but certainly will not approve of Tesla tapping into their customers.
The CharIN positions are not so simple as shown in the chart. There is a distinct thread for that, but from an investment perspective Tesla has numerous options, none fo which are technologically difficult. CharIN provides for standard communications and payment variations, with existing charging solutions having regular glitches when some manufacturer or provider does not quite get the software perfectly.

Skipping the endless technical papers of CharIN (that is where everything relevant happens there, it's built for technicians and engineers) it is the Tesla membership in CharIN that is most relevant. Supercharger sharing is not even difficult, nor is payment arrangements. The only issues are how others OEMs will pay and how their customers will pay. There are ZERO technical problems to solve since all the required technical solutions have already been designed.

For non-EU uses among us, back when EU Superchargers had CCS installed and Model 3 had native CCS, it cost ~500 Euro to adapt Models S and X to CCS. They had to have both hardware and software changes. For other OEMs to use Superchargers similar adaptations will be required.

Certainly Tesla will end out pricing all this to make money, not lose it. Much accelerated Supercharger deployment is happening anyway, and this will accelerate the growth.

Reactions: Tim S and dhrivnak
Well Nancy Pelosi bought a lot of call awhile back

"The options were bought at a stake price of $500 and expiration of March 18, 2022. Pelosi paid between $500,000 and $1,000,000 for the options, according to the disclosure."
I believe it was her husband who bought those calls. I picked up several when I saw that news, last I looked mine were underwater since they were purchased later.

This tiny news seems irrelevant but it is not.

Singapore has vastly outsized influence among prosperous people rationally from The Middle East to Hong Kong and beyond. They've famously refused to cooperate with Tesla until everything was 'just so'. The Supercharger is located in a small mall on Orchard Road where once was located the best outdoor Hawker Center located in what was the Orchard Road car park.

I think the location and existence of that Supercharger and Tesla sale will end out being the catalyst for greatly expanding Tesla sales in other parts of Southeast Asia plus the Gulf States, Saudi and others. For some decades Singapore's influence as been based on superb infrastructure, pristine public areas, safety and security plus vast arrays of consumer goods and cultural heterogenous choices.

Perhaps I overstate this, since Dubai now serves much of that role, but I don't think so.

For the record: I spent many years as an Orchard Road car park customer and kept my cars in a nearby free parking garage. Owning a car in Singapore is a luxury, subject to many restrictions. That is partly why I think Tesla being established in Singapore is a major step.

I recall back in 2013 Elon stated something like; "It isn't the car makers who made the most money, it was those that supplied the fuel".

IIRC both the oil industry and auto manufacturing are about $2-3t each.

Electricity is alot cheaper than gas, so this wont be the case with EVs. 200,000 miles of gas costs ~$20,000 for the average 28mpg car. 200,000 miles of electricity is about $6,500 for a 4mi/Kwh EV.

Bad news....Ford has perfected autonomous driving, GM is almost there, and Tesla is nowhere in sight.

Ford and Argo AI to launch self-driving cars with Lyft by the end of the year

quote from story said:
Self-driving rides with safety drivers will begin this year in Miami.

I do not think perfected means what you think it means :)

Does anyone know of a good deep dive into Electrify America's business plan and structure? I'm trying to figure out just how real of an operation they are/will be. I'm particularly interested in what it would look like if VW can't/won't maintain operations and funding. How screwed would the other brands be if EA had (more) issues? That's a risk to the mission but a possible benefit to Tesla's core operations.

I believe it was her husband who bought those calls. I picked up several when I saw that news, last I looked mine were underwater since they were purchased later.
It's unknown if it was her or her husband. Filing does not indicate that and frankly it doesn't matter. They are married and their assets are fully shared.
Personally I am always suspect of any politician (R or D) that makes a large leveraged bet in a company that is directly effected by laws that they are in charge of making.
Especially politicians of her position. She is the Speaker of the House which makes her one of the most influential politicians in the country.