Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article is a bit light on the details...

Bosch got asked to develop the device that can cheat for "testing purposes".. So you could activate & deactivate it via software. On delivery they told the manufacturers: You must not enable it, or you will break the law. The manufacturers did anyway.

In Germany you can only get liability on the individual if you can prove that this individual was responsible. And all the engineers got papers covering their asses that they were told (and underwritten!) by management that they should implement it.. :)

Still awful .. but being in Boschs shoes: .. "Well.. would be sad if VW would order these control units in China, wouldn't it?"-kind of situation..

Thats why they only got a small fine.
Bosch could have called the EPA and said...hey you never guess what happened ...and maybe you want to check some testing processes to see if this is not working. Or an engineer at Bosch. Someone...to have developed something to cheat and no one blew the whistle?

[OT] Sorta. From @Buckminster in Elon's Thread's pics of Elon and his family visiting Florence

Here's to wishing all billionnaires would have similar good tastes, family values, not to mention well meaning altruistic ambitions.
Or -would work just as well- if all average folks would spend their money better - no need for polluting Coke and bottled "vitamin" waters, senselessly packaged foods and goods..

'Visit Florence!': Elon Musk has private tour of the Uffizi Gallery with girlfriend Grimes, 33, and his teenage children as he celebrates his 50th birthday​

• The Tesla founder was in Florence on Sunday with his family and in Berlin for meetings on Wednesday
  • Musk, who turned 50 in June, was joined by his Canadian girlfriend Grimes, 33, for their European jaunt
  • Their one-year-old son, X Æ A-12, was not seen but three of his five teenage sons were pictured with their father and his singer girlfriend at the Uffizi
  • The group was shown around the famed museum by the mayor of Florence and the museum's director
  • The mayor posted a clip to Twitter of the South African billionaire saying in Italian: 'Visit Florence!'
  • Musk and his family later on Sunday enjoyed dinner at a 130-year-old Florentine restaurant in a cavern beneath the city
  • On Wednesday Musk was in Germany for a series of meetings as he works to open a $6.9 billion Tesla factory near Berlin

View attachment 695551

And fun moment recorded on Mayor of Florence's Twitter
Looks like they changed out of their Saturday Night clothes.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
BriansTesla said: This is why I believe that regenerative agriculture is the next big problem to solve. I believe the potential for carbon capture in the soil holds the best possibility for our future survival. I just paid to have a local professor of soil biology come speak to a group about how to implement this. It was enlightening. To keep this on topic, I would love to see Tesla or Elon take this on! Elon still has the price for best (working!) carbon-capture outstanding iirc...

$100M prize for carbon removal

And Elon's Tweet announcement linking to intro video

1628811126807.png

Last edited:
There's no evidence that they are some how sticking it to Tesla while supplying everyone else. Tesla broke records in production and also guided for even more production 2H while companies like Ford saw production cut in half due to shortages. So I don't see how Tesla is a victim of bad faith (or why there are speculations of such scenario).

The evidence is that Elon said they were having trouble getting the chips in a timely manner, especially from the two named suppliers. Do you really think he called them out using their actual names just as a point of interest?

It couldn't be more clear. What's not clear is why you are pretending this is not a problem. And to be clear myself, I'm not saying this is preventing Tesla from growing production or that other manufacturers are not also constrained by chip supply, I'm saying Elon's tweet is evidence that he doesn't think those two suppliers are giving Tesla chip orders the priority they deserve. If you have a more sensible reason why he would publicly shame two suppliers specifically by name, let's hear it.

The sad thing is, Jan 2023 Leaps with 1500 strike were selling for more than twice what they are worth now. I want to sell them again, but need to wait for a higher SP at this point.

Well, sad depending on your perspective. ;-) But yeah, while we got a nice little pop in prices last week for those of us who like to sell calls short and I was fortunate enough to take advantage, I would definitely like to see another jump in SP (and IV) before I do that again. Also not too interested in doing so again prior to AI Day - especially without a decent run-up. If we touch $750 by Thursday, with some juicing of IV, I'll be tempted...

The evidence is that Elon said they were having trouble getting the chips in a timely manner, especially from the two named suppliers. Do you really think he called them out using their actual names just as a point of interest?

It couldn't be more clear. What's not clear is why you are pretending this is not a problem. And to be clear myself, I'm not saying this is preventing Tesla from growing production or that other manufacturers are not also constrained by chip supply, I'm saying Elon's tweet is evidence that he doesn't think those two suppliers are giving Tesla chip orders the priority they deserve. If you have a more sensible reason why he would publicly shame two suppliers specifically by name, let's hear it.
Tesla is ,at this point in maturity, not someone ignorant of global supply chains. If Tesla is using same chip as say goes into a Lexus and Lexus models keep flowing and Tesla can't get commitments than they know something. It is perhaps all innocent cascading failures. OTOH...maybe not. Clearly Elon does not like the responses. I would guess this is a message to say..look we are going to be putting all your business under review and I am sure they'll be reminded of the fact that Tesla plans to build 30-50% of the wolds auto fleet in 10 years. They plan to be the one customer you cannot ignore and so far...they are no plan.

Yet another Tesla competitive advantage that people are only starting to skim the surface of.

The Tesla charging experience stands in stark contrast to other EV charging stations. This is an example of Elon's 4d chess. Understanding what the customer would need and having the testicular fortitude to build it years in advance, adding substantial value to each sold product, as well as adding substantial progress to the mission.

Innovation meets execution.
Seems parallel to their vehicles….As Tesla EVs are to other, non-Teslas….Superchargers are to other, non-superchargers. Sounds trivial, but I‘ve been routinely enamored with the supercharger network every time I’ve needed it.

Sicily reported its hottest day ever today at 48.8°C (119.8°F). Oh, wait, that's the highest temperature ever recorded in all of Europe:

So much for a "Mediterranean Climate". :(

Tesla is ,at this point in maturity, not someone ignorant of global supply chains. If Tesla is using same chip as say goes into a Lexus and Lexus models keep flowing and Tesla can't get commitments than they know something. It is perhaps all innocent cascading failures. OTOH...maybe not. Clearly Elon does not like the responses. I would guess this is a message to say..look we are going to be putting all your business under review and I am sure they'll be reminded of the fact that Tesla plans to build 30-50% of the wolds auto fleet in 10 years. They plan to be the one customer you cannot ignore and so far...they are no plan.

Having some exposure to supply chain relating to chips and such-- their perspective would be "Toyota/Lexus buys chips for 10 million cars this year... Tesla is only buying enough for 1 million. (and we know Toyota uses MORE chips per car too so the gap is even larger in terms of dollars spent)-- Thus Toyota gets priority on supply"

It's the same reason Dell can still get GPUs to put in pre-build PCs, but the average consumer, and even large retailers and smaller system integrators, have a much harder time of it. Your biggest customers get priority on supply when you are supply constrained.

That's not a conspiracy, that's math.

Certainly in this case you can call it short sighted math. But they're not making decisions based on "who may be a bigger customer 5-10 years from now"

Heck the guy in charge isn't gonna BE there 5-10 years from now. (Literally in the case of Bosch- their CEO is changing end of the year).

Just upgraded my account and it got me to thinking if we couldn’t start a fund of some kind. With the combined knowledge and expertise (of which I provide none) we could be a force to be reckoned with. Allegedly.

edit: my upgrade isn’t showing up in my banner yet; so don’t start brandishing me quite yet pls.

Just upgraded my account and it got me to thinking if we couldn’t start a fund of some kind. With the combined knowledge and expertise (of which I provide none) we could be a force to be reckoned with. Allegedly.

edit: my upgrade isn’t showing up in my banner yet; so don’t start brandishing me quite yet pls.

The fund would basically just be buy and hold tesla so what would be the point?

I never said the chip/part supply isn't a problem. Reading their conference call its clear the entire situation is a cluster F. But to say those two companies are picking on Tesla and not treating them fairly is reading way too much into what looks to be a tweet about pushing blame on external factors incase Tesla comes up short or can't exceed peoples wildest expectations. So I'm not going to guess or speculate why Elon picked a few company to call out besides being just informative/perhaps tamper expectations if anything since he has been tweeting supply issues after anyone's bullish sentiment on twitter.

I feel like you’re joking. But to entertain the question…

The point is all the options talk that I scroll past because I’m too dumb to dip even a single toe into it.

Also; there are (seemingly) many here watching and understanding the moment to moment ticker changes…why not use our combined power and stick it to the MM’s.

seems like now would be an opportune time with all time high deliveries/earnings and all time low P/E, And a future looking brighter than ever

Could be fun to set up the T-10 Fund - Tesla as 50% of fund holdings by definition/birthright/eminent domain/papal decree/etc. and then 9 or 10 more investments as the other 50%. In times like last year, the other 9-10 investments would be TSLA calls (because the investment committee would have foreseen that with their prescience), and in other times we'd diversify into private placements in SpaceX, Boring Co., maybe slum it with NVDA, etc.

I have a couch where I could find some kroner.

Could be fun to set up the T-10 Fund - Tesla as 50% of fund holdings by definition/birthright/eminent domain/papal decree/etc. and then 9 or 10 more investments as the other 50%. In times like last year, the other 9-10 investments would be TSLA calls (because the investment committee would have foreseen that with their prescience), and in other times we'd diversify into private placements in SpaceX, Boring Co., maybe slum it with NVDA, etc.

I have a couch where I could find some kroner.

Um... if it would be possible to invest in SpaceX, Boring Co or Neuralink im all for it. But I feel like that requires being invited.