Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a video at 1x speed on youtube:
To me, the speed is totally adequate for a residential area most of the time and had I been the driver, I would have slowed down a little on the downhill section at 7:54.

Getting the Neural Networks trained such that it can distinguish a police uniform from a tuxedo is certainly less challenging than recognizing skin cancer or, to stay in context, partially covered, faded stop signs.

Kim Paquette's last two videos are proof though that it's still a limited Beta for a reason. She certainly is keeping the car on a short leash and takes over quite often before the car has a chance to fail (or pass). Still, her car looks like a beginner compared to the smooth driving footage recorded in California or videos posted by Rob and Gali.

Kim is in Boston...

So less fleet definition of geography (less over sampled?).
I used to see Boston traffic as twice as bad as SF - don't know if that is [still] true.

I don't look at Waymo anymore after this incident and the practices behind became public - I look at AutoX - they released this video right after AI day - waht a coincidence ;)

It's not comparable as rural China is a different beast than any western roads - but besides the aggresiveness of peaking and right-of-way there's nothing Tesla couldn't do imho. AutoX is vision based as well - of course they have no real fleet yet and won't have any time soon - and the compute in the car is expensive as hell.
'Vision based' .. plus 6 lidars.
1631603196747.png

Last edited:
The product roadmap doesn’t indicate that 4680 is competitive enough with 2170 yet to start volume production.
IMO an indicator is installing 4680 production equipment at Austin..

All indications are that is happening, so Tesla is reasonably confident they can sort out the issues....

Other indications are 4680 cell production at Austin having priority over Cybertruck, and Cybertruck construction still progressing rapidly...
It is true that Tesla now can afford to do some construction and equipment installation prior to the production ramp..

Elon also mentioned DBE was only 10% of the cost savings, so either way this isn't a "bet the company" situation...

They will just keep working around problems until 4680 DBE is fully ramped, and all issues are solved...

We need to wait for an official update on 4680, we will find out soon enough... and speculation could lead to wrong assumptions..

Thanks for this informative video. It supports my point that autonomous cars can navigate roads in China or India as well as western cities with good vision and the same basic "don't bump into anything" strategy. Around the 5 minute mark, things get interesting. The car reverses a bit to give way to oncoming traffic. Haven't seen a Tesla do this yet. And a bit further on, it would be stuck if the oncoming human driver wouldn't give in. Some times, you have to break the rules in order to resolve a situation, like driving up the curb. Has anyone seen how FSD Beta handles this?

One can only hope that she's no teacher at a driving school.
Does the self driving tech really make the car flash its headlight to ask oncoming traffic to drive? This video looks a bit too good to be true to me...

Does the self driving tech really make the car flash its headlight to ask oncoming traffic to drive? This video looks a bit too good to be true to me...
I had the exact same reaction after watching Tesla struggle (and improve) for 1 year already - but who knows.
I just wanted to point all of you to AutoX as everyone mentions Waymo all the time but AutoX seams like the real competitor as a generalized approach to driving.

Kim is in Boston...

So less fleet definition of geography (less over sampled?).
I used to see Boston traffic as twice as bad as SF - don't know if that is [still] true.
Just to clarify, Kim is in Newport, RI. Strangely, the other FSD beta iterations for her have been overall much, much better.

I think she’s still having some sort of calibration issue.

A little data point from Finland. Our goverment announced a week ago that they will remove new car sales tax from BEVs, starting October 1st. Tax used to be 2,7%.

Lots of 3/Y has just arrived, and now Tesla still wants to get sales done in september, so Tesla announced that they will make a discount of 2,7% to all cars that are delivered in September. They don't want customers to transfer deliveries to october.
And now Tesla has also agreed that for the cars that already have been delivered, they will reimburse the amount :)

Quite nice really.

don't wanna spoil the party - but "render voxel height of unknown objects" is what LIDAR pixel cloud gives you, right? So Waymo and anyone else (I'm more concerned about AutoX than Waymo) has it already (well AutoX is vision only as well but afaik LIDAR as backup)
Render as in 'display on the user interface'.
Rephrased: How does one display to the user that it has detected an unclassified object of arbitrary height? (Like Gali's concrete pillars.)

IMO an indicator is installing 4680 production equipment at Austin..

All indications are that is happening, so Tesla is reasonably confident they can sort out the issues....

Other indications are 4680 cell production at Austin having priority over Cybertruck, and Cybertruck construction still progressing rapidly...
It is true that Tesla now can afford to do some construction and equipment installation prior to the production ramp..

Elon also mentioned DBE was only 10% of the cost savings, so either way this isn't a "bet the company" situation...

They will just keep working around problems until 4680 DBE is fully ramped, and all issues are solved...

We need to wait for an official update on 4680, we will find out soon enough... and speculation could lead to wrong assumptions..
DBE?

FWIW I saw another Plaid this morning on the local roads. I've seen several in the past week around me in a variety of colors. Pretty sure one of them was Ryan Reynolds. They're clearly rolling out seriously at this point. Catchphrase!

p.s. it is a little embarrassing having my PLAID license plate on a Model 3 when an actual Plaid is behind me at a light. Come on Roadster!