Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a nice new white on white Plaid at the airport yesterday with temp. Plates . It was where Elon normally parks but it’s not his designated spot so Im not sure who owns it. I was surprised it had the cool Plaid badge

Attachments

• 44B579E0-4F46-433A-9DBE-AF46D6B337CD.jpeg
    44B579E0-4F46-433A-9DBE-AF46D6B337CD.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 84
  • BBC9477C-9273-4CE1-8026-65ECCF621A5B.jpeg
    BBC9477C-9273-4CE1-8026-65ECCF621A5B.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 62
  • 7547F531-B451-4740-8037-656B493F505E.jpeg
    7547F531-B451-4740-8037-656B493F505E.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 62
After watching Rob's video on the Tax Credit I was wondering how the number of total U.S. auto workers compares to the number of unionized auto workers in the U.S.? (a search revealed an undated article indicating Union membership was about 600K, down from 1.5M in the 70s)

Considering all of the companies with manufacturing in the US who are aligning to protest against that aspect of the proposal I remain curious whether the ratio of non-union auto workers may dwarf the number of UAW in the grand scheme of things.

If so, this is another reason to remove the portion of the proposal that favors those companies who have UAW workers if they are in the minority when compared to all other US auto workers.

I sent the following as emails to those who represent me in Congress and to the White House. You may want to do the same:

I strongly support the expansion of consumer tax credits for purchasing American electric (not hybrid) vehicles, due to air quality and safety concerns. However, the government shouldn’t offer an additional incentive to consumers who buy from companies with unions. Workers choose whether to join a union. A company and its customers have no say. The ideal is to not need a union. American-made, great, but unionization should be irrelevant in this case.
@Curt Renz , any other suggestions before I do the same?

Yeah, I don't know. That number $4,500 is too much of a coincidence. It's likely very close to what other auto OEMs have been paying Tesla for carbon credits in the ZEV trading market:

(NOTE: the first hint is the $4,500 goes to the carmaker, NOT the UNION. So, what is this, compensating the carmaker for their disadvantage of dealing with a Union?)

Tesla Free Money ZEV Credit Math (Dec. 10, 2020) Warning: S/A link, but Author is pro-Tesla

"We can assume that, since regulations have tightened, demand for these credits probably has gone up. Going forward, their value could be at midpoint between the previous numbers versus $5K, so we just used a midpoint to guestimate each credit is worth about $3.3K.​
"For other OEMs, anything below $5K is better than paying a fine."​

I suspect those car-makers' lobbiests are trying to get their bosses money back, but also conniving to deny that same benefit to Tesla. And that's just nasty, since those automaker's built the cars which actual do the polluting (unlike Tesla).

And guess who looks like they could behind this lobbying effort: (update: it ain't FCAU)

Tesla (TSLA) Secret Sources of Cash Are GM and Fiat (FCAU) - Bloomberg (Jun. 3, 2019)

Word.
@Artful Dodger , any suggestions what to say to address this when I write to Congress and the White House with Curt Renz's suggested email?

It's all of our responsibilities to try to do something about this.

@Artful Dodger , any suggestions what to say to address this when I write to Congress and the White House with Curt Renz's suggested email?

What I sent to my representative and senators.

I have further looked at the new house language for a change to the electric vehicle (EV) tax credit. 1st I am a strong proponent that we must encourage rapid expansion of EVs and I also support workers. Now looking at the tax credit it is very flawed. 1. It should not encourage hybrid plug in vehicles with small batteries. I do believe is should specifically exclude vehicles that have any internal combustion engine (ICE). An ICE vehicle that puts in a small battery and small electric motor to supplement an ICE is not what is needed. 2. Union made should not be part of this, unless you also include vehicles made in factories that have pay & benefits similar or better then factories that are not unionized. What matters is how employees are treated. A company that pays employees very well and treats them very well should not be excluded because employees chose not to be unionized. This is about climate change 1st and foremost. We cannot let other issues get in the way. Encourage EV adoption and production, not poor 2nd choices.

I just find it extremely generous of the U.S. Congress to give Ford Motor Company $4,500 for each EV made by its Mexican workers.

In Mexico. Until 2026. o_O
Yeah, that makes no sense.

Also makes no sense that a hybrid with a 7kWh battery (aka <$1k battery) could get a $9k rebate to the auto-maker. That is essentially a subsidy for the ICE powertrain. That is ridiculous and to use Rob's word; appalling.

This is why I love supporting Rob. His in-depth analysis is second to none.

The bill is written by lobbyists so nothing really surprising given what has already been done to exclude Tesla. Will wait to see what is actually signed but if anything it does not hurt Tesla long term given they are so far ahead of every other US manufacturer and demand is already so high.

CPI data appears favorable to stocks as it seems this will delay the timeline in tapering. Doesn't seem like the market is too convinced however with crypto / gold still rallying. Will know more after FOMC meeting on the 22nd.

I'd say this, if your representative is a Republican, focus on the Union-made nonsense, and if they are a democrat, focus on the PHEV nonsense, though mention both.

I'll be calling both my senators and rep (NH)