Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 894k revenue could come in around $51.6B. In Q1 Tesla accounted for Elons next tranche of stock based compensation indicating it was probable Tesla would hit $51B in revenue.

If Tesla continues to be valued at a price to sales of 20, that translates to a share price of $1,042 and valuation just over $1T.
P/S was as low as 1.5 in 2019.
P/E is better going forward.

79 P/E seems totally reasonable for a company whose YoY EPS growth would be…um…312%?

can I borrow your couch?
Are you comparing the same period for these ratios now? If you use annualised earnings for P/E, I guess you must also look at earnings growth in that same period? What is a reasonable profit margin going forward? For how long will earnings grow faster than sales? I would imagine Tesla is approaching a time where most scale advantages and manufacturing efficiencies have happened. But would be great to hear arguments for continued strong margin improvements going forward.

• Funny
Reactions: JusRelax
Elon already stated Tesla is open to license FSD to other OEMs. Since FSD is being continuously upgraded OTA, what @100CottonDanny and Factchecking postulated makes a lot of sense - that most of the long term revenue stream for FSD could come from those licenses, and in particular, in the form of monthly subscriptions.

In a separate thread, Factchecking also argued convincingly that FSD pricing over the recent years were for hardware and features mostly already included, hence recognition of reserve amount may only needs what City Streets will provide, once it is installed for all FSD purchasers.

Last edited:
Maybe. Hopefully Ford is now getting serious about EV's because their current production volume targets for the Lightning over the next few years is pathetic.
Ford is just now announcing the location of the Memphis factory? How many years will it take to build Big Blue City vs. Tesla Shanghai?

Last edited:
More bad news for legacy...

CNN: Automakers' problems are much worse than we thought.

Temporary shutdowns and slowed production rates are hitting auto plants around the globe, cutting into the supply of available cars. AlixPartners now forecasts that supply chain problems will cause automakers to build 7.7 million fewer vehicles globally than they would have if they could get all the parts and raw materials they need. That's up from the 3.9 million vehicle shortfall that had been forecast in May.

Why is CNBC's main headline currently an article from Feb 2020? Got me excited for nothing...
Screenshot_20210928-084608~2.png

Edit: In fact, everything on their front page except for the pre-market article is from 2020.

Last edited:
Are you comparing the same period for these ratios now? If you use annualised earnings for P/E, I guess you must also look at earnings growth in that same period? What is a reasonable profit margin going forward? For how long will earnings grow faster than sales? I would imagine Tesla is approaching a time where most scale advantages and manufacturing efficiencies have happened. But would be great to hear arguments for continued strong margin improvements going forward.

You're kidding me, right? We're right on the cusp of brand new technologoies like 4680 cells, dry cell manufacturing, front single-piece casting, two new factories with other latest/greatest manufacturing implemented, and manufacturing capacity expected to at least double (more likely triple). None of this has been registered into P/E since not a single vehicle with any of these techs has been sold yet. If you think P/E and margin improvement has reached it's top, prepared to be blown away.

Great rendering, but if they put the solar on the roof in commercial building, maybe they would save some space.

Not sure if UAW is happy on choice of location though ...
do the factories in these areas (southern states) from Honda, BMW etc have a union?

Most do not. The Nissan and VW plants in TN are not unionized, while the GM one is.

Most do not. The Nissan and VW plants in TN are not unionized, while the GM one is.
There are quite a few car plants in TN now. Presumably the skilled labor required was not all there before the plants were built and some people moved into the state for the jobs. Has anyone seen data on this? Ford moving in could heighten the trend, but also cause increased competition for jobs. Seems like a large part of the reason for workers to want unionization is plants being located near high cost cities, so the chance to relocate to a low cost area would reduce the need for unionization?

Holy smokes, Case Shiller number is insanity today. Housing prices up 19.7% year over year for July? Wow. To me that's more than enough to trigger this "rotation".

Funny thing is, the markets aren't even open yet and the CNBC crowd is talking about how and when we "rotate back".

Even the premarket QQQ is moderating a but.

Would love to see upls plow through this red macro day, even if just pegged to $800, then level up later in the week on the inevitable tech rebound.

There are quite a few car plants in TN now. Presumably the skilled labor required was not all there before the plants were built and some people moved into the state for the jobs. Has anyone seen data on this? Ford moving in could heighten the trend, but also cause increased competition for jobs. Seems like a large part of the reason for workers to want unionization is plants being located near high cost cities, so the chance to relocate to a low cost area would reduce the need for unionization?

They are fairly spread out around the state. The new Ford plant will be in the Memphis area, Nissan is in Nashville, VW in Chattanooga, and GM is south of Nashville. Over the past 2-3yrs housing in Nashville has been going nuts from all of the industry flooding in for the low cost of living. Unfortunately, as one would expect, the Nashville area has become quite expensive now. My parents retired there about 4-5yrs ago and have seen their house literally double in value over that time. When we visit I run into more transplants from the East and West coast then I do natives.