Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ref the observation about “I don’t know how we are gonna propell all of those EVs…”, when central air conditioning became “normalized” for a large swath of North America back in the 1970s and 1980s, the grid didn’t collapse.
…and EV charging mostly happens at night whereas AC peaks in the daytime.

FTFY...

But what a sea change from even very recent history, Tesla, the upstart, now the model they all need to learn from, amazing!
To be contrasted with the narrative that the classic car manufacturers have so much experience that they will easily overtake Tesla.
Just look at Toyota.

Been meaning to write this for a while. Why do we give so much attention to Gordon, Fred, Lora, Mark BS and countless other FUD spreaders? Yes, most of us can't stand them (or worse). Me too. But we give them way more air time (and clicks) than they deserve. The bashing also starts to feel a lot like groundhog day, the same arguments over and over again. Can we just focus on this beautiful company and less on its detractors?
Fighting the FUD has been one of the main benefits of this forum from the beginning. It is still important to be informed of what the enemy is doing so we can effectively counter their attacks.

I like how by definition a performance EV swap is a now Tesla swap (like a LS swap for ICE), and that ICE garage channels are getting into custom EVs. Somebody make a nice Tesla Jeep TJ kit please!

That's the shop my friend Tim works at, and I've been following this build. He's been dying to do an EV conversion ever since I left him drive my wife's Model 3 LR a couple years ago. He's always been a car guy, Hondas, then 240SX drifting, now a full EV convert. He and I have talked for years about how great it would be if someone offered an EV conversion kit. They have teamed up with a British company that supplies everything you need for a Tesla powertrain conversion. This one is for SEMA.

Been meaning to write this for a while. Why do we give so much attention to Gordon, Fred, Lora, Mark BS and countless other FUD spreaders? Yes, most of us can't stand them (or worse). Me too. But we give them way more air time (and clicks) than they deserve. The bashing also starts to feel a lot like groundhog day, the same arguments over and over again. Can we just focus on this beautiful company and less on its detractors?
Sorry RSF, but are you writing this with the pen of a mod or the pen of a regular forum participant? Because unless writing about those FUDsters is against forum rules, I would think you should be using the latter.

If you don't study the enemy, know their movements, understand their thoughts, you cannot consistently win any battle.

Adapted from The Art of War

I hold no hope for them. It’s talk. It’s rah, rah, let’s go team. It’s 199 too many top managers. They don’t have what it takes to unload the dead weight, restructure mercilessly, and start from scratch. That’s my prediction. #letshaveanothermeeting
They might not succeed. But embracing the change at hand is the first required step. It shows they are more likely to succeed than other legacy. It's still going to be a very difficult transition.

Completely agree. Way too many pixels spilled on these clowns here.

Unless (and a big unless it is) there is something new and genuinely noteworthy, please, pretty please let’s not hear the latest tweet from these clowns and then all the repeated follow-on derision.

It may be helpful to point out a hit piece in the NY Times or Consumer Reports as they are usually contemporaneous with a bear raid, but I could go either way on hearing about those (a single post and no follow on unless it’s actually a meaningful contribution).

Thank you in advance for your restraint.

If you don't study the enemy, know their movements, understand their thoughts, you cannot consistently win any battle.

Adapted from The Art of War

Eh, we've already won, at this point it's like shooting the wounded on the battlefield.

ZcOI86XjEGKx.gif

I'm going to have to figure out how to actually treat some quantity of my shares as sellable. I haven't figured out how to do this. I keep buying shares, often with liquid funds with the thought that it's better than 0.0000001% interest, but I can never convince myself to sell because it's always going higher any day now and selling today would be a bad decision in xx months or years. It's probably related to some shares I sold in 2013 & 2014 that I need to just get over...

Perfect example is as I look over my numbers for ordering a MY, I want to put $12K down to get the monthly where I want it, but then think "I'd be much better off buying TSLA with that $12k and paying Tesla 2.5% on it". But, I realize once I buy those shares, I'd inevitably consider them core, HODL, and not see the money again (for years)...

They might not succeed. But embracing the change at hand is the first required step. It shows they are more likely to succeed than other legacy. It's still going to be a very difficult transition.
Have they embraced the change at hand? Really? They had a three day meeting of 200 top managers, a full decade ‘late’. If they’d embraced the change at hand, I’d wager the ID models would have been something quite different.

Recognizing you’re up a creek without a paddle is quite different than abandoning the canoe and swimming to shore. Heck, one of those top managers already has an idea on how to retrofit an existing factory. 🙄 They still think they can start with what they have, when they need to quite literally start from scratch, including with new top managers.

How long has Dietz being waving his arms at VW? And they just had ‘the’ meeting?

Hmm…no. I’ll need to see something a lot more from them then another statement from Dietz, arguably the only guy who knows they are in deep do-do. Never mind that they deserve to die because of what they’ve done.

Have they embraced the change at hand? Really? They had a three day meeting of 200 top managers, a full decade ‘late’. If they’d embraced the change at hand, I’d wager the ID models would have been something quite different.

Recognizing you’re up a creek without a paddle is quite different than abandoning the canoe and swimming to shore. Heck, one of those top managers already has an idea on how to retrofit an existing factory. 🙄 They still think they can start with what they have, when they need to quite literally start from scratch, including with new top managers.

How long has Dietz being waving his arms at VW? And they just had ‘the’ meeting?

Hmm…no. I’ll need to see something a lot more from them then another statement from Dietz, arguably the only guy who knows they are in deep do-do. Never mind that they deserve to die because of what they’ve done.
Agreed, maybe discussing the change at hand is more accurate...still a first step

Sorry RSF, but are you writing this with the pen of a mod or the pen of a regular forum participant? Because unless writing about those FUDsters is against forum rules, I would think you should be using the latter.

When I write in orange I'm writing as a mod. Texts in black are contributions as a regular forum participant. I'm not trying to censor posts about Gordon, Fred, Lora and others which are newsworthy, but it's the subsequent flood of derision that is getting really old and adds no value to this thread. See all the Fred bashing we've had today.

More insight: Moderator posts ARE the de facto rules. And, as has been posted many times heretofore, they are NOT subject to debate as to their merits or drawbacks. This is NOT a democracy. Whether or not it is a benevolent meritocracy is something you can debate - silently- to yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like last year's 'Mission T' didn't pan out and they're back to the drawing board..

Divesting and merging are likely off the table, so what’s a CEO got to fall back on in tough times but a new "initiative." 😝

Actually, I wish Diess and VW well and hope they make it through their transition to BEV’s. I’m more optimistic for them than any of the other legacy automakers. Er, go VW!

(Rest assured, that‘s not to say I’ll be parting with my TSLA shares or buying anything but Tesla vehicles in the future. 😉 )