Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1634910288976.png

I'm having similar thoughts since I expect Boring tunnels to eventually allow private Tesla cars access via AutoPilot. It will be the HOV lane perk, bar none.
Agree.
Also, consider when (if) robotaxis become a reality. Much have been said about leasing or selling - or not selling at all after a certain date and Tesla keeping all future robotaxi cars. We don't know what will happen.

But, a wide roll-out of boring tunnels offers a way to both sell FSD and still have a *lot* of recurring income, for 3 reasons:
  • Tesla App
  • Tesla Insurance
  • Exclusive or priority access to Boring tunnels, making transportation faster. So, it is worth more for the customer, and the taxi can have more rides. Double effect!
App/network and insurance alone is enough to warrent a hefty fee, but all 3 packaged as one is a killer TAAS package. The Apple tax is 30%. Access to all 3 above? Much more - maybe half?

Off course such a roll-out will take decades. But think of the benefits: No more soul-crushing traffic.
Below 1000 km distance transportation will truly be solved!

(The only thing able to compete will be StarTrek-style teleportation)

Thanks for your contributions. I was wondering if your experimental “C-P Brkpt” metric and Max Pain have similar movement trends or momentum? Can they be confounding or supportive other than the different SP offset?

Yeah, it's just 2 weeks from being finished (and always will be). The problem we face is stale data. You can't get the information you need to act in a timely matter. That is by design on Wall St.

Further, MMs and Hedgies are only part of the equation. Other actors move the Market and we have even less transparency on large investors and institutions (reporting deadline 45 days after the end of the current quarter). That's more like archeology than electronics.

So, in the mean time, the Market is what it is, we buy'n'hold, and focus on the Mission to rescue the Future. When Elon is Elon of Mars, things will be difference... :D

Cheers!

I’m surprised there isn’t more attention paid to the Vegas expansion both on this forum and in general. What Musk has achieved there is monumental!

From a technological perspective, it’s almost as impressive as Tesla and SpaceX.

But from the perspective of cutting through government red tape, it’s truly next level. Before Boring, I would never have dreamed that any company (let alone a startup) would be permitted to dig under a big city’s main thoroughfares, fundamentally transforming the city’s entire transportation system. And that the approval for this would be lightening quick and unanimous. Folks, it usually takes five years of overcoming massive resistance to build a single new subway station anywhere in this country.

There have been dozens of posts here just in the last several hours about the need for Tesla advertising. Over the next several years a substantial portion of future new car buyers are going to Vegas and are going to experience not just the marvel of what Boring is accomplishing, but doing so while exclusively riding a Tesla car. There’s no better advertising than the experiential kind.

And Vegas is just the tip of a gigantic iceberg. Lots of other cities are already talking to Boring, and more will do so when they see how the Vegas loop fundamentally solves the traffic problem.

Musk’s vision, and ability to execute on it, is unprecedented in the history of business. He recognized that it’s not enough to fundamentally transform the vehicle itself and fundamentally transform how it’s driven (with FSD). If the vehicle is still stuck in traffic, it’s still a bad user experience too often. Tunnels are the necessary third leg of the transportation transformation stool.

What Musk is accomplishing is mind blowing.
Even beyond this investment forum, our cult in general is sleeping on the Boring Company. A few years ago I personally thought it was a bad idea and Elon had finally put out a dud. Mainstream public perception is even worse--most believe this system is dangerous, wastefully expensive, bad for the environment, a publicity stunt, only meant for elites, and low capacity. To me this feels like the EV industry in 2010 all over again, with the truth drowned out by a flood of misinformation, misunderstanding and lies.

The rapid construction this decade of Loop systems in Las Vegas and then probably South Florida, two of America's two most popular travel destinations, with nascent Loops blooming in several other cities, will be a major awakening.

Already, per Steve Davis, several hundred thousand people have ridden in the LVCC Loop. Statistically speaking, we know that for the majority of those riders this was their first experience in a Tesla. No doubt this is already contributing a non-negligible amount to the explosion of American and Canadian demand for Teslas we've witnessed since the summer.

I want a future with cities quiet enough to hear the birds singing, where impediments to walking and cycling are removed, and where children can play in many of the old streets formerly filled with traffic. I want to address a significant root cause of the developed world's obesity and cancer crisis. I want to stop routing highways and arterial roads through disadvantaged communities. I want to solve traffic once and for all.

Tesla advertises their own way - every parked Tesla is a stationary ad, every driving Tesla a live advertisement. Every tesla owner is a tesla promoter. People notice. Tesla advertising works wonders.

All the cry about "tesla not advertising" is just a disguised crying about lost revenue to prostitute media.
I agree. Technically, in marketing terms, Tesla does "unsponsored product placement" through customers. They also do "unpaid promotion" via social media. Again, technically, Tesla has never done any advertising, nor any paid product placement. Having SpaceX astronauts ride in Model X, Las Vegas Loop and other such things does indeed promote the vehicles and the brand, but none of it is paid by Tesla, so it is not advertising.

It may seem pedantic to make these distinctions, but it is very fundamental to the Tesla Profit and Loss results. Nearly all other manufacturers spend 1-2% of sales on advertising, split between channels including TV, print, and other channels, with internet search engine placement growing rapidly.. They also spend 2-3% of sales on dealer advertising support, predominately local newspaper, TV and internet search engine placement. Beyond that they also provide regular dealer promotions. These three components almost always come from different budgets, so the total is often never disclosed, and often not even understood by internal executives. All this is in addition to the builtin disclosed dealer margin. As I have mentioned before I have been through all this for more than one OEM while consulting to them. FWIW, that explains why many auto dealers claim to sell at 'dealer cost' and still make money doing so.

In aggregate Tesla probably has roughly 5-7% net advantage by direct sales. That is less than the total dealer gross margins because Tesla must pay for the network themselves, directly. We should never forget that, but we should also understand that Tesla cultivation of "Word-of-mouth" in the 21st century context makes them highly efficient in attracting future customers. For confirmation, ask any random very young people which cars they like, and try doing so even in places where Tesla is not yet sold.

The mechanics are quite different for energy products, but they nearly mimic the automotive process.

It seems these principles need to be periodically repeated because very few of us actually deal directly with these subjects. That subtlety is a crucial part of the Tesla not-so-secret sauce, in large part because few people think that is even possible. For those who think Tesla should advertising to counter FUD, I'll mention that such defensive advertising serves mostly to accentuate the negative and nearly always fails.

When adding up all the expenses Tesla does not have we begin to see better part of how the margins keep improving, Of course manufacturing and transportation efficiencies are even more important, but just consider how material a cost-of-sales reduction of 5% actually is.

All that lost revenue for everyone from Google, broadcast networks, cable channels and newspapers does help foment opposition. We even see that within traditional Tesla blog supporters who are bing courted by, among others, VAG brands. The people who praise their new free ID4's and others do have a strong incentive. So too do the automotive fan magazines which don't have Tesla ads. As a result to those I suggest a ~5% net savings to Tesla, partly because of the increasing expense for lobbying to get favorable changes in restrictive laws and bureaucratic impediments. We do not know exactly how much those things are costing, but it seems unlikely to be more than 2% of sales, probably much less.