Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is why I say 2023 is going to be when the curtains get pulled back on all the empty promises being made by legacy auto. By then, it will be clear that they don't have the battery supply, their battery "breakthroughs are nothing", and their profitability per vehicle and operationally is still atrocious.

Also....that most consumers don't even want their vehicles even if they could produce them at scale.

2023-2025 will also mark the great transition from ICE to EV and we'll be able to watch in real time as legacy auto crumbles under their mountain of stranded assets.
OT
I do feel bad for the workers. They are powerless in changing their destiny. They are in denial that they are working on the Titanic.

No sympathy for fossil fuels, management, dealerships, lobbyists, owned politicians, etc...

You have to understand that when GM ways "30 models" that equates to:

4 versions of the Bolt
6 versions of the Hummer
10 versions of the EV Silverado
5 versions of the Lyriq
5 versions of whatever this EV crossover turns out to be

Old school auto considers every variant of a car a "new model", this makes what they promise sound more impressive than it actually is. It's marketing speak.
Oh I know they will have the Chevy Bolt, the Pontiac Colt, the Buick Jolt, the Cadillac Humboldt (Same car with gold plated trim inside).

It seems that from GMs perspective it is the number of models you offer, not the number of cars actually produced which is the goal. Mary's strategy is more about creating the illusion that GM is visionary and keeping with the times.

Meanwhile, I suspect they are issuing mandatory Depends (adult diapers) to board meeting attendees.
I think we have it. Come end of 2025 GM will announce they sold more then Tesla

I can see the headline. "GM outsells Tesla in 2025".

With a footnote.

GM sold 30 models and Tesla sold 6.

OT
I do feel bad for the workers. They are powerless in changing their destiny. They are in denial that they are working on the Titanic.

No sympathy for fossil fuels, management, dealerships, lobbyists, owned politicians, etc...

I don't. They can easily apply to work at Tesla or another company. Complacency is a cancer.

Honestly can someone press them to explain their math. I mean GM has the Bolt now and I cant see that sales going forward will be nothing but bad. The Hummer will sell whatever GM makes, but of course that is a couple dozen. The Lyriq doesnt go in sale until late 2022 at best. When is the Silverado and this unnamed Cross Over coming. Lets assume 2023 at best. Having 30 models by 2025 and only selling a few dozen of each (Exaggeration) wont catch up.
Are they including PHEV? Maybe they intend to throw a tiny battery in every car and call it an EV. Wouldn’t surprise me that they would play games like this and average reader wouldn’t know the difference.

The biggest risk to FSD profits in my view is sociopolitical backlash. Assuming that they actually succeed, that their approach is the only one that works, and that they develop a natural monopoly position, then Tesla *needs* to offer sweet partnership deals, lower costs for consumers, and generally not be too greedy about short term profits over long-term public goodwill. Do we, for example, want governments to slap an 80% corporate earnings tax on profits above a certain level because the populace hates Tesla?

Ultimately, a company is allowed by societies to earn money because they like what the company is doing. That privilege can be diminished or taken away entirely, even in a capitalistic democracy. For instance, in most countries, businesses selling cocaine exist but are illegal.

The 2019 autonomy day slides say each Tesla robotaxi would have a net present value of $200k. There is plenty of value there to give out to others and still make Tesla trillions.

Last edited:
Because they are being allocated production in a preferential manner.
What led you to this conclusion?

They place an order, Tesla will fill the order. How is this preferential?

As I understand it, Tesla have limited the number of Hertz' cars to be delivered on a weekly basis in order to minimize the delay all the other customers in the queue will experience. Hertz' last car delivered is further out than delivery for the same model to a customer who orders today.

Last edited:
You just made that up.
What led you to this conclusion?

They place an order, Tesla will fill the order. How is this preferential?
Fair fact questions. Before the deal was announced, SR+ customers had to wait until February for delivery. Now, they have to wait until April. Meanwhile, you are starting to see a few (and admittedly it seems to be only a few) Hertz SR+ offerings.

I would be glad to be wrong on this point.

The biggest risk to FSD profits in my view is sociopolitical backlash. Assuming that they actually succeed, that their approach is the only one that works, and that they develop a natural monopoly position, then Tesla *needs* to offer sweet partnership deals, lower costs for consumers, and generally not be too greedy about short term profits over long-term public goodwill. Do we, for example, want governments to slap an 80% corporate earnings tax on profits above a certain level because the people hate Tesla?

The 2019 autonomy day slides say each Tesla robotaxi would have a net present value of $200k. There is plenty of value there to give out to others and still make Tesla trillions.
The counter to this though is by Tesla's own estimates, the Tesla Robotaxi network will reduce the cost of using ride-sharing service by a huge amount. It's hard to make a case against a company having a monopoly in one sector/industry when that company is actively reducing the cost to the consumer over other services. Tesla could, and likely would, make a case that if it was forced to license it's Robotaxi network out to let other companies use, it would drive the cost of the overall service up......not down.

*Note I'm talking about Robotaxi service, not just FSD where Tesla would license out their FSD software suite to other auto makers.

Fair fact questions. Before the deal was announced, SR+ customers had to wait until February for delivery. Now, they have to wait until April. Meanwhile, you are starting to see a few (and admittedly it seems to be only a few) Hertz SR+ offerings.

I would be glad to be wrong on this point.
You apparently don't know the difference between your opinion/assumption and actual fact.

What we are watching with the auto OEMs is a large slow funeral procession, nothing more...

...and getting back on topic, it appears we have found today's TSLA happy place. :)
I think they are also setting the storyline for the continuation of dismal quarterly results. They've been hiding behind chip shortages, but they can't do that forever. This sets up the next excuse....the cost of moving their business into the EV future will "temporarily" weigh them down and try to justify their poor balance sheets. Will the US taxpayers be asked to save them (again) during and/or after this?