Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps me?

But to be more slightly on topic. Question for the collected wisdom:
One of the rare areas that Tesla has disappointed is not allowing my Model S to be a backup to my home. I have long wondered why they have not done this. It looks like the F150 lightening (with the added package) will beat Tesla to it. I see this feature as inevitable, so rare for Tesla to be a follower. To me this is a killer application for that massive battery. Reasons I can think of:
1. Want to sell Powerwalls instead (maybe but seems anti-mission).
2. Messy to get into home electrical panels (which they do with Powerwalls and solar panels).
3. Car is not always home or charged so Powerwall superior. (I want both).
4. Somehow does not want added stress on the battery? (but a rare event unless used for demand response/ autobidder)
5. Low margin business? (but doesn't have to be).
6. Got enough on their plate.
7.?

Thoughts?
These are just thoughts.
Safety is always an issue when a home electrifies a part of the grid that has been cut off from the generation source by, say, a downed tree. The people working on the power distribution to restore service need to know it really is not hot. A term to Google search is “anti-islanding.”
How about: In the event of a power outage, any home electricity must be isolated from the grid to protect the workers while they are performing the repairs. If Tesla allowed vehicle to home, VTH, they would have to have a foolproof way of ensuring this. The only way I can think of is to have a smart system that would sense the power outage and disconnect the home. It would also have to talk to the car any only allow VTH if it could talk to the Tesla home to grid connection. For a few dollars more you could have a real Powerwall. If it was allowed without this kind of safety system, then the utility workers would be at risk every time there was an outage.
This is well explained. Thanks.

Adding to this, the anti-islanding circuitry has to be fault tolerant. Which means redundant and requires spacing which implies mechanical which means you would have to add two heavy things to the car that cares about weight and cost and reliability.

Puts on ol'codger hat...

Yepper, I remember back in the day when TSLA was only just nosing past 1000. Back when TESLAQ and the FUD were taken more seriously. That all changed once it cranked up past 11, and turned its back on the naysayers, doom-n-gloomers, and they all felt the pain, because it Hertz to be that wrong for that long.

Well, young-uns, that's enough story time. Now that I got my 3% for today I gotta go take a nap.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense unless you actually think Hybrids will eat away at Tesla's demand, which I kinda think is funny. The amount of batteries going into a hybrid is non-material and Tesla has their battery supply already locked up. There is no cap on # of sales per manufacturer, no overall dollar amount cap for the EV credit/rebate program, and it doesn't phase out until 2030. There's zero way it limits the number of Tesla's on the road.

The bill absolutely subsidizes/rewards mediocrity. That sucks, we all know it sucks. But it doesn't change my opinion that if the EV credit bill fails, in about 6 months, you would see many legacy auto makers announce delays in their EV plans......and they'll keep delaying them. The fact is that for them to be viable with EV's, they HAVE to have this EV credit. They can't even remotely compete with Tesla on pricing, it would bankrupt them much faster than them just taking the approach of "We think EV's are just a fad" and running ICE into the ground.

Hybrids will consume a percentage of the available battery supply, not eat away at Tesla's demand. Tesla has made no secret that they will buy as many batteries as other makers can supply. That is the limiting factor of how quickly Tesla can scale from here on out. Hybrids also consume batteries/resources that could go into energy storage. But it's not just hybrids, it's all the inefficient EV makers who will be subsidized to compete for batteries with Tesla. An efficient car requires less batteries, just look at the Mach-e, it consumes more batteries and goes a shorter distance. Look at the Bolt EV. It consumed a bunch of batteries that are now being taken off the market before they reached 1/4 of their expected lifespan. It's shameful and wasteful. Don't subsidize mediocrity.

Either way it works out fine for Tesla but some scenarios are better than others. I don't like to see organizations that should step aside and let the real leaders lead be rewarded and simultaneously encouraged to slow down the real leaders.

People taking delivery in Nov and Dec are actually getting their Tesla's at 4-5k discount compared to what new customers are paying.....so I see absolutely nothing wrong with Tesla telling those that want to delay delivery till Jan to go to the back of the line.

Tesla will also likely announce that anyone willing to take delivery in Nov/Dec will get pre-July price hike prices. That would save customers that placed orders over the past couple of months $2-3k and those that are placing orders now about $4-5k.

The worries about this quarter deliveries is a nothing-burger. A ton of options for Tesla.
I am not talking about people cancelling and reordering. I am talking about you get a call from your advisor to schedule the delivery for say December 15th. You say no I want to wait until January 2nd.

Tesla can do 3 things I believe.
1. Tesla says OK we will hold the car for you until January 2nd.
2. Tell you if you dont take delivery now then cars goes to next person with that configuration and we will update your account with next expected delivery date.
3. Tesla says if you dont take it now then you wont get the price on your original order. You will get the new prices and we will update your account with next expected delivery date.

Option 1. Tesla has good will, but takes a hit on Q4 deliveries financials.
Option 2. Tesla gets hit in the press for not being good with customers and customers may get pissed
Option 3. Tesla gets hit in the press for not being good with customers and customers will get pissed

• Disagree
Reactions: StarFoxisDown!