Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been speculating over this and it seems to me that the recent sea change in mainstream media falling in love with Tesla is leading toward that market phenomenon where more and more people are chatting up a particular stock.

Eventually, getting to that point where waitstaff, hairdressers, middle management, and even telephone sanitizers regularly bring up Tesla in casual conversation, and offer unsolicited stock advice to those they encounter. This behavior is often regarded as a sign that a stock has reached its peak when it becomes widespread.

I suspect we still have a long way to go. Years and years. Still, we are seeing a marked shift in perception and building of general awareness, which is a good thing for Tesla, TSLA, and especially for HODLers.
Speaking of which, I really do need a haircut soon.
Literally I mean.
Growing all over now. Figuratively AND literally. :cool:

It does remind me of the .com bubble and post-2008/9 crash hype. In the main investing forum I used to follow back then, there was a trading system frequently discussed: As soon as {enter yellow-press newspaper here} reported on the stock, SELL!!!!

Wonder if this time will be different. I think there are going to be a bunch of FOMO / WSB / Hype "traders" that are selling/buying calls on TSLA now that are going to get badly burnt.
I am confused. By yellow-press, do you mean NYT or WSJ? ;)

Investing is much more about psychology than finance/business. One of my best friends has been in Tesla nearly as long as I have, not to the same degree of exposure though and he often gets in and out. He had closed out his position sometime before the SP500 inclusion and couldn't understand how I wasn't selling all of my shares when it was in the $800s or so last year because my cost basis was so low.

He had a few options purchased in Feb 2021, and some shares he bought in the $600s. Through the summer he often remarked that it felt like a waste to hold because "his money could be in something else that was gaining". He sold out of everything again in the mid $900s last week. Next time I visit him the drinks will be on me I think.

US cars will need an adapter, so presumably that adapter will have a couple feet of cord built in.
So he’s a ‘get rich quick’ guy. No patience. And clearly no acting skills. Like how hard is it to play dead?! Have a few wobbly pops and you can’t even get up if you wanted to.

Just outpacing the competition today

1635795945519.png

These are all great. But you are overlooking that road transportation exists on a mostly 2D surface wherein geographical distance and ground speed limit feasible paths. For example, if I live in Atlanta, GA, building out nodes in China or Catalonia does not add to destinations feasible for my EV. Moreover, adding a node to Canton, GA, may be helpful and convenient, but it does not really expand the number of destinations for my car because there is already sufficient coverage all around the greater Atlanta area.

Avoid analogies, and get back to first principles.
Analogies are valid and useful when the mathematical structure is the same. In this case, yes it's not totally quadratic but the more detailed formulations of Metcalfe's Law already account for this. From the wikipedia article, "many, including Metcalfe himself, have proposed modified models in which the value of the network grows as n log n rather than n^2". Even in that case, the growth in value is still beyond linear which still implies that one platform is likely to dominate as there are increasing marginal returns to incremental expansions.