Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I think this is really a novelty thing. Something like using cars in a tunnel would only fly in Vegas.

If Tesla makes a sort of automated small carrying car that can carry 10-20 people at once then this whole thing makes way more sense.

You are wrong.

Think about it. Normal trams or trains, because they carry so many people at once, come in only every 10-30 minutes - a very frustrating experience and a showstopper for many users. The Boring company provides transport with NO wait time. And you do not have to share space with many strangers, who could carry diseases, be violent, drug addicts etc - also a showstopper for many users. And you can get off very close to your destination, instead of often at point a kilometer or so away - again a showstopper for many users. And you do not have to stop and wait at every station - again a showstopper for many users.

Only an electric car could offer such a service (no fumes in tunnels, electricity overhead very cheap per km). And the unique boring tunnel system (cars continue in the loop at full speed until it reaches your destination, when it veers off to stop while not blocking the Teslas behind) allows for a very fast throughput.

Once FSD is employed then the system will get much cheaper indeed - that probably could be employed already today, but awaits regulatory approval and more testing, so perhaps 6-12 months.

Edit: I see I repeated arguments from previous posts :)

Mod: Yes, this subject has been hashed and rehashed, and was banned from this thread. Take it to the Boring Company thread. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Simulation confirmed: (volume taper)

TSLA.2021-11-10.11-37.png

There are now thousands of truck driving positions unfilled in the US, causing serious economic problems. There couldn’t be a better time politically to introduce FSD highway trucking.

C’mon Semi and FSD highway!
10,000’s of 1000’s. We went into 2020 with about a 60,000 long haul trucker shortage.. that has grown to 80,000 at this point with the 2021 increase in imports and products demand of 30% Compared to 2/20.

there are already several non tesla long haul and short haul driverless automated trucking companies operating slightly more than pilots in various states. (FL, TX, UT, and some in CA - this is a short haul trial). I think these other companies are going to be first to bring in any capacity for this current demand, but it won’t be in time for Xmas. ;-).

The bias on CNBC was expected, but it's still disgusting to see. Rivian is the Golden Child, no negativity, nothing bad about them whatsoever. When they talk about Tesla, whose stock is up 5% today, adding more market cap than all of Ford (probably... haven't verified), it's all bad, Elon has been "selling stock" (no mention of buying massive amounts of new stock), no mention of exploding Shanghai production numbers, they show a graph of the last 5 days which looks like the stock is falling, etc. etc.

Honestly, for true integrity they need to declare who advertises on their channel whenever they discuss companies. Same way they say "our parent company Comcast" from time to time. Thus: "Rivian is backed by Ford and Amazon, both of who are advertisers on our channel" - I'm sure this will never happen but it would be better journalism.

..... wait a few quarters before jumping into Rivian... the valley of death is still ahead for them ... TSLA took 5 years to cross the valley(after Roadster, MS, MX success)

Anyone else contemplating selling Bearish Call Spreads on Rivian, LCID and QS as a hedge to lock in some TSLA gains?

I would appreciate any feedback on that thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed
The bias on CNBC was expected, but it's still disgusting to see. Rivian is the Golden Child, no negativity, nothing bad about them whatsoever. When they talk about Tesla, whose stock is up 5% today, adding more market cap than all of Ford (probably... haven't verified), it's all bad, Elon has been "selling stock" (no mention of buying massive amounts of new stock), no mention of exploding Shanghai production numbers, they show a graph of the last 5 days which looks like the stock is falling, etc. etc.

Honestly, for true integrity they need to declare who advertises on their channel whenever they discuss companies. Same way they say "our parent company Comcast" from time to time. Thus: "Rivian is backed by Ford and Amazon, both of who are advertisers on our channel" - I'm sure this will never happen but it would be better journalism.
Rivian = Amazon = Ford = Marketing money for CNBC

Tesla = 0, nil, natta, bupkis = The beatings will continue until morale improves

The bias on CNBC was expected, but it's still disgusting to see. Rivian is the Golden Child, no negativity, nothing bad about them whatsoever.
Gotta say I disagree with this first point. I’ve been listening to CNBC this morning while working out and cleaning the garage.. I’ve heard many comments from CNBC personel about how seemingly ridiculous the valuation is looking to be, how the valuation is MORE than any other auto manufacturer short of Tesla (USA only most likely) how the company has only lost money (of course, they don’t really sell anything yet) and will continue to lose large sums of money for the coming quarters, and that they MAY only deliver 1000 R1t this year, and hope to ramp up production and get some of the ONLY 55K backlog for the R1T out to customers over the next TWO Years.. so it’s not all unicorns and rose petals..

Disclaimer: I have a position in CMCSA in a retirement account.

Last edited:
While we wait for the next "Strategic Inflection Point" (Andy Grove, who is some "Engineer" I once met in a leather jacket).

True story, SOULPDL (all caps) was my license plate before I got into Tesla or TSLA at all. I hadn't posted on any web forum before in my life (FB still not my thing), until my brother pointed me here to TMC. So I signed up using my lic plate, all caps, no idea that caps meant yelling on social media. And changing it is very complicated, we checked, not productive, so there it is. Obviously I'm not the yelling type, and just figure it's gonna mean something someday, maybe.

Basically, I was born and raised "on-line" by you all, new culture but a great study with good practice exercises, thanks! When I venture to other places now, OMG those people are nuts out there, some angry - yikes! TMC is so sane compared to any other forum. And not just the type of smart and caring people it attracts, but a special thanks to the MODs who, in fact, tamed me some in here. I even had a tantrum after being deleted, but came back right away. (I used to do that with my ex but then "Where am I going?"). I think that was when I ventured to other forums. My own neighbors on Nextdoor, right next to Intel A/T HQ, you'd think there's be some class or intelligence, very spotty and rare.

Here's to holding through the biggest storm ever with you all (in my lifetime anyway, along with many others here as well). I love sailing for similar reasons - because it is challenging, you're gonna stall, you're gonna get wet... but you are clean, free, and it is pure adventure (when there's wind)! Closest thing to driving a Tesla, so far.

Sail on, shall we!

I honestly wish Rivian well. It's a potentially compelling product that could displace lots of ICE trucks. It also might fill a void of consumers that have a negative image of Tesla (for whatever mistaken reason) but still are receptive to a non-Tesla EV truck. All that said, to conflate Rivian with Tesla is ludicrous. It's shown exactly nothing yet and will likely be mired in its own production hell for the next year at least. GL to Rivian, but I wouldn't go near that stock. In fact, if I shorted stock (which I do not) I would take a long look at doing so.

I am totally unable to comprehend how would driving cars in a tunnel be any better than having a light rail transport? Is there a thread in TMC that explains it?
In reality, these modes are not competing. Light rail is at least an order of magnitude more costly and takes multiples more time to clear the environmental review.

There are places where this added expense and time make sense because of the higher capacity. And there are places where more highways/freeways will make more sense than tunnels because of the less cost per unit distance.

Reactions: Tim S and Lessmog
How to beat a Tesla model S Plaid

"Install a nitrous fogger with 750hp jets, strip everything off your car, and cheat by having your opponent disqualified. You're welcome."

Isn't that essentially what the Legacy ICE makers are doing? They haven't disqualified Tesla from any incentives, but they're trying their best.

The ~1050-1060 range is the number that Wall Street seems to be comfortable with right now. It follows the valuations held through the summer and into October with the consensus estimates that moved up after earnings(that we all know are still too low). I think we have found our support level at 1000 and here is where the 'value' has settled. Now to just wait for the next catalyst and the dust to settle on the Elon share saga (which could be a catalyst itself).

• Informative
Reactions: pdwitt and capster
How to beat a Tesla model S Plaid

"Install a nitrous fogger with 750hp jets, strip everything off your car, and cheat by having your opponent disqualified. You're welcome."

Or you could buy a Nevera and beat a Plaid legit? :D

Reactions: UCF3
NPR - 1.5 hours ago: COP26 sees pledges to transition to electric vehicles, but key countries are mum

Excerpt:

A group of governments, automakers and others have signed on to an agreement to transition to 100% zero-emission sales of new car and van by 2040 globally and by 2035 in "leading markets."

Fifteen countries also agreed to a separate pledge to work toward 100% zero-emission sales of new trucks and buses by 2040.

The agreements, both of which were announced at the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow, were hailed as a significant step toward decarbonizing the automotive industry. Cars and trucks emit roughly one fifth of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists.

But the agreements were also noteworthy for the names that were missing. The world's largest auto markets, including the U.S., China, Germany, South Korea and Japan, were absent from the pledges, and the top two global automakers (Toyota and Volkswagen) also didn't sign.