Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought 10 more at $986.

The general consensus seems to be that the SP is going to be under pressure for the rest of the week and possibly going into our Thanksgiving. So the safer play would be to wait. But I agree with @SOULPEDL. And even if there are no immediate positive news, I am sure I will be happy with this move in the very near future.

But I also think that extreme income and wealth inequality ends up being on sustainable in the long run. Big issues. Pretty off-topic.

Obviously there is a relationship between Wall Street and Main Street.

But ... Elon is the opposite of Wall Street.

So we must ask ourselves why do they target Elon Musk (Planet saving, self made entrepreneur working 100h a week) but ...
- not Bill Gates (retired former Monopolist and recent Epstein buddy),
- not Walton Family (who just lucked out with Inherited Wealth without ever working much)
- not actual Wall Street like the owners of Blackstone, JPMorgan Chase, The Carlyle Group or Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts ?

Once we ask this question the answer is clear: It is not really about tax dollars and it is not about inequality.

It is politics.

Last edited:
Some of us have been busy with Tesla products! We took delivery of a new Model Y with FSD last week, thus doing our part for Q4 financials rather than waiting for a potential tax credit, and we have orders for Tesla Energy products on two properties. The old Nissan LEAF will be listed for sale.

Yesterday, I used the Model Y to transport three bikes. The clearance and stability with the Model Y's factory hitch receiver are a real step up from the aftermarket Torklift EcoHitch on our classic Model S.
View attachment 728896

The Model Y is great, a true leap forward in utility and comfort compared with our 2018 Model 3 (which does remain more fun to drive). I fully believe Elon when he asserts that the Y will become the world's best selling vehicle.

I only wish I could get our Y to download the software with "The Button" so that we can start qualifying for FSD Beta access, but Mobile Service was of no help on this, saying that this is in the hands of "Engineering". Particularly as an investor, I'd like to experience FSD Beta firsthand.
Curious to the version of Software yours came with. I took delivery 11/6 with version 2021.35.102 and like you no Beta button. Eagerly waiting for software update for "The Button"

• Informative
Reactions: UCF3
But what point is he going to prove? The woke mob going after him don’t own TSLA and don’t care if it drops. They probably want it to keep dropping to reduce Elon’s net worth. So in the end, I don’t think this will accomplish anything other than to hurt the people who actually believe in and support Tesla. While most of us here can HODL for many more years, I know some people who love the company but need to sell some shares short term. This turmoil is unrelated to Tesla (the business) and isn’t something they could have seen coming. It really sucks….
I 99.9% believe that if Elon had just muzzled his Twitter account (at least never posted the "should I sell 10%?" poll and the jabs about taxing billionaires), TSLA would be past $1,500 on a march towards $2k right now.

However, I have to think some of Elon's tomfoolery has helped boost my Rivian holdings (currently +50%).

Plenty of annoyance to go around and yet, still no shareholder is being hurt be Elon. And anyone who says otherwise is an ungrateful human.

Personally, I'm whatever. When I saw TSLA drop below 980- "that's Tesla baby".

Swap Elon out with Tim Cook. If Cookie goes to war in the twitterverse and drops Apple 20% - could we also say AAPL shareholders are ungrateful and no one was hurt?

giphy.gif

last i checked Tesla was still worth about a TRILLION dollars

what’s all the hand wringing about?

in the heat of the moment (in what’s now an endless number of battlefronts elon is fighting), sometimes he orders a code red. we don’t always have to agree with it. but we sure as hell need him on that wall.

use it to your advantage. or don’t. but complaining about it doesn’t help.

like the man says, if you can’t handle the volatility, sell the stock. it’s not for everyone.

this is a war folks
a war that must be won

But ... Elon is the opposite of Wall Street.

So we must ask ourselves why do they target Elon Musk (Planet saving, self made entrepreneur working 100h a week) but ...
- not Bill Gates (retired monopolist and Epstein buddy),
- not Walton Family (who just lucked out with inherited Wealth without every working much)
- not actual Wall Street like the owners of Blackstone, JPMorgan Chase, The Carlyle Group or Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts ?

Once we ask this question the answer is clear: It is not really about tax dollars and it is not about inequality.

It is politics.
Yeah, I get pretty frustrated with politics. Particularly American politics and the two party system. I still think wealth and income inequality is a problem that will need to be solved over time, and I am not sure the market will do that on its own. And I do not like the current brand of politics via Twitter at all. Anyway,….

I will spend some time preparing and look for my window of opportunity to go ahead and get in.

Well that theory held true until Elon is purposely selling his lowest cost basis shares when he has plenty of high cost basis shares he is not touching. About 4 billion extra dollars are going to taxes when not needed. Those are 4 billion dollars worth of shares he will never see again.
The gap between $6 and $1100, or whatever the actual net weighted averages turn out to be, won't look so big in 5-10 years.......unless Congress converts capital gains tax rates to ordinary income rates and all our entrepreneurs move to Monte Carlo/Caymans/Cyprus, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: UCF3
Are you sure arrivals meet the Poisson assumptions ? I am not sure they do - as in the wiki example arrivals may violate Poisson in much the same way that the students do. Without access to the data (of actrual arrivals) to test for Poisson-compliance one cannot be sure.

That's why I was looking at just the 20 minutes of each day when demand peaks. It wouldn't be homogeneous across time. For instance demand from 2 AM will be less than 5 PM.

However, any real distribution that's similarly shaped at all, whether Gaussian, normal, weibull or some other bell-shaped blob, the point is that the larger scale system will experience lower probability of overload for a given average capacity factor. The extreme case of this in my 70% capacity factor example is a one-stall station with on average a 70% chance of being used. Such a station would have a wait time very often.

So, making the supercharger network bigger benefits all participants including Tesla owners.

Simply put, Elon does have a responsibility to the shareholders as the CEO........of a PUBLICLY traded company and one of those responsibilities is to not harm your shareholders. I don't care if you think Shareholder A or B or C isn't handling their investment to your standard. If you don't want to have a responsibility to shareholders, don't take your company public.

Obviously you feel differently, I don't feel the same. Agree to disagree. Not going to get in a back n forth on this. Mod's can feel free to delete my posts but I won't be responding to this topic anymore.
Simply, Elon HAS made many people bloody millionaires. Elon has SPECIFICALLY told people, if you don’t like volatility in a stock do NOT invest in TSLA. Elon has put his own financially well-being on the line to make Tesla work. He’s put his health on the line. He’s done more for the advancement of our existence than anyone in all of human history and will unselfishly continue to do so until he’s in the ground.

And you want to take exception to how he’s decided to sell shares he has to sell?

Websters has now had to dedicate 100 pages to the definition of ungrateful to fit everyones’ pictures.

It never surprises me that the more someone gives others, the more those others expect to be given. How about you apply a dash of that empathy you have for your friend and other shareholders who got too greedy and didn’t sell on the run up and apply it to the individual who actually built the company that has allowed your friend and other shareholders to comfortably afford the down payment in the first place.

And so Elon will continue to be slapped from the Left just like he used to be slapped from the Right.
The power of Elon Musk and Tesla. What else could have brought the Left and the Right together!

For some reason I'm (morbidly) reminded of my 8th grade history teacher, Mr Bentley. He said the best thing that could happen to us would be alien invasion. Alien invasion would unite all the people of the world against a common enemy. lol This was 1978, btw.

I guess I'm reminded because getting the Democrats and the Republicans to agree on something is even more unlikely than alien invasion.

Bought 10 more at $986.

The general consensus seems to be that the SP is going to be under pressure for the rest of the week and possibly going into our Thanksgiving. So the safer play would be to wait. But I agree with @SOULPEDL. And even if there are no immediate positive news, I am sure I will be happy with this move in the very near future.
Oh-oh... you bought bc of my hunch? Glad you could join, we sink or swim together on these.

TBH, I haven't looked at any running averages, Bollinger Bands, or ships at sea. I do notice sentiment here on TMC. A bunch of rich people getting pretty short tempered. That's a signal that things have not gone as expected.

So now, the probability of things getting worse "feels" less likely today than it was last week (given zero outside factors). When people wait around, it "seems" like the wrong move. Very few buy (or share this info) during these times and it's (nearly) always been a good move so far.

Actually, there's never a bad time to buy TSLA, is there?

I worry that general investors (and the whales) will see TSLA as a risky investment and get turned off to it not because the business isn't executing, but because of the random Tweets.
Why are you worried? So they don’t invest in TSLA because they can’t decipher what’s important and what’s not important to investing in TSLA. How is that any different than when Tesla IPO’d, when a Tesla Model S had the first fire, when Broder pulled his shenanigans, when the first recall happened, when Elon tweeted funding secured and everyone about lost their minds only to learn that had it not been for that tweet, Tesla would be owned by the Saudis now and we’d all be a lot poorer.

Short memory? Or just selectively wanting to be pissed off because life is too good otherwise?