Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNBS reports Bloomberg "rumor" Apple accelerating an autonomous EV by 2025, believed to be from "reliable sources."

That's why TSLA starting to tank, AAPL shooting up.
Whenever I see this I wish these outlets would point out that they do not know how/where Apple will get the batteries to mass manufacture a vehicle ?

This is not accurate.

$3500 of the total available credit requires a battery of 40 kwh or more (goes up to 50 kwh in 2026).

If your argument is more of the credit ought move from the general base value to the large BEV only section I wouldn't disagree. But they don't get the "same" credit, not by thousands of dollars worth.
With the union clause, GM could get $ 8500 ($4000 base plus $4500 union bux) for a union built PHEV while Tesla would only qualify for $8000 in incentive bucks.

If the union clause doesn’t happen (it’s on the cutting floor or near it now isn’t it?) then it’s $4k for the PHEV and $8k for the Tesla. While thing is quite the mess at this point.

Whenever I see this I wish these outlets would point out that they do not know how/where Apple will get the batteries to mass manufacture a vehicle ?
"reliable sources" aren't. They've "predicted" hundreds of the last zero Apple EVs. FUD most of the time, someone is encouraging/orchestrating most of these reports.

Agree on batteries, only a few companies could produce them in volume. Not sure about Foxconn, maybe CATL or BYD could produce cells, but Tesla is probably their most reliable, honourable & dependable customer by far.

With the union clause, GM could get $ 8500 ($4000 base plus $4500 union bux) for a union built PHEV while Tesla would only qualify for $8000 in incentive bucks.

Sure.

But

A) The union clause is like 98.97% going away before passage

B) Even if it didn't, a pure BEV from GM would still get another $3500 on top the PHEV would not.

So the claim PHEVs and BEVs are treated the same simply ain't so.

Again I'd be more than ok with making them even more unequal in favor of BEVs- but equal they are not even now.

CNBS reports Bloomberg "rumor" Apple accelerating an autonomous EV by 2025, believed to be from "reliable sources."

This quote at - of course - the bottom of the article is the most important takeaway: "Even with recent progress, creating a fully self-driving car by 2025 is seen as very aggressive within Apple. Some people within Project Titan are skeptical about the timeline."

We had to stop a few weeks ago after my wife spotted their billboard near Daytona: "There's a beaver in your future". 😂
She is now Buc-cee fan, and she got so excited when I told her about the Superchargers coming.
Did you have to stop and pull over right away, or were you able to control your guffaws until you reached the emporium🤔?

• Funny
Reactions: Duffer and capster
This quote at - of course - the bottom of the article is the most important takeaway: "Even with recent progress, creating a fully self-driving car by 2025 is seen as very aggressive within Apple. Some people within Project Titan are skeptical about the timeline."

It appears the breakthrough is actually an optimized chip like Tesla's FSD computer, aka HW3/4. Not sure how it really helps them until they have a fleet gathering billions of miles of training data...that puts them so, so many years behind. And I don't see a great route to manufacturing for them - could partner with Foxconn (probably their best bet), could buy Lucid (no manufacturing experience but at least have a new facility ready to go), could buy a dying legacy OEM...

Foxcon has already stated that they're going into the business of contract-building electric cars, and have even shown their design for a base vehicle chassis. So if Apple were to do this, I suspect it would be via Foxcon.

But given that neither one of them has ever manufactured or supported a car, I would expect a long ramp-up rather than the instant success that the media keeps wanting to hand them.

Oh no, the competition is coming :eek:
I am so sick of this tripe. The game is over folks. Tesla won because they had to...

There was a rental company in the 60s that advertised, "we are number 2 and we try harder".
In the EV world, everyone else is vying for 3rd place for reluctantly trying at all.

Edit: correct decade...man I'm old...

Last edited:
Wow, news to me and there are many but nothing southwest.
Key question, do they supply squeegees for EV charging? This is a serious problem. Guilt sets in when I borrow one from a "pump." Now commercials are making fun of "No gassy, no squeegee." Perhaps Tesla can come up with a squeegee kit you hook up to your windshield washer... or something!!! No really, this is bugging me. :mad:
When I did a road trip to Colorado a couple of months ago, I noticed a few of the nicer superchargers has squeegees and buckets set out at the chargers. These were at Hotel parking lot ones so I was a little shocked.

Wow, news to me and there are many but nothing southwest.
Key question, do they supply squeegees for EV charging? This is a serious problem. Guilt sets in when I borrow one from a "pump." Now commercials are making fun of "No gassy, no squeegee." Perhaps Tesla can come up with a squeegee kit you hook up to your windshield washer... or something!!! No really, this is bugging me. :mad:
Tesla very obviously negotiates with each of its SpC landlords the rights to emplace the charging site. That may be on a full-site basis, it may be on a per-stall basis, and so on. The one site in which I played a role - and this is very early on (2013) - the rate was $50 per month per stall. I have no knowledge of any current transactions, although I can find out what the Soldotna, AK one is, were it to be important.

At any rate, if we make the assumption that Buc-ees management and by extension their franchisees are competent in business, which their success suggests is the case, it is likely they are extracting from Tesla some rent, rather than, for example, paying Tesla for the ephemeral possibility that SpC users will be filling their tills with enough purchases to make that sensible. BUT - were my logic to be the case, then one would think (this is: were I Tesla this would be one of my negotiating demands) that patrons of the site be treated equally, whether they were buying gas or buying electrons...i.e., be able to use the squeegees and cleaning fluid.

Oh no, the competition is coming :eek:
I am so sick of this tripe. The game is over folks. Tesla won because they had to...

There was a rental company in the 60s that advertised, "we are number 2 and we try harder".
In the EV world, everyone is vying for 3rd place for reluctantly trying at all.

Edit: correct decade...man I'm old...
To continue on this off-topic, may I contribute that in Swedish slang, AVIS means "jealous" ... ;) from "avundsjuk".

This is my first post on the Roundtable. (Hope I don't blow it.) Have appreciated many of the insights from you guys as I learn the ins and outs of $TSLA investing. I am by default a HODLer and show no signs of changing now, although my GOODNESS I had no idea how hard HODLing can be when the company adds more valuation than ever added in the history of companies in a span of 12 days.
I think what is lost in all the -deserved- complaining about GM getting -undeserved- praise is that this is a win for the Mission. We (earthlings, not just Tesla investors) need many more factories making EV's; Tesla can't build them all. We need multiple form factors that hit multiple market segments with multiple features, if possible built on-site on multiple continents. Tesla cannot build out all that as fast as we earthlings need. Tesla has done a great job of picking popular segments and found appropriate pricing sweet spots as well as pushing manufacturing technology, but we need to hit all the segments and sweet spots and we need to do so NOW.
Let Tesla continue to blaze the trails and let the other guys widen them into roads behind Tesla. We investors will profit and the Mission will advance.
Welcome to posting.

I have heard this argument many times here over the years. Given what’s happened during that time, I no longer believe the argument holds much merit. Tesla and the Chinese, I believe, will do it all (all meaning like 90%+).

Last edited:
Tesla very obviously negotiates with each of its SpC landlords the rights to emplace the charging site. That may be on a full-site basis, it may be on a per-stall basis, and so on. The one site in which I played a role - and this is very early on (2013) - the rate was $50 per month per stall. I have no knowledge of any current transactions, although I can find out what the Soldotna, AK one is, were it to be important.

At any rate, if we make the assumption that Buc-ees management and by extension their franchisees are competent in business, which their success suggests is the case, it is likely they are extracting from Tesla some rent, rather than, for example, paying Tesla for the ephemeral possibility that SpC users will be filling their tills with enough purchases to make that sensible. BUT - were my logic to be the case, then one would think (this is: were I Tesla this would be one of my negotiating demands) that patrons of the site be treated equally, whether they were buying gas or buying electrons...i.e., be able to use the squeegees and cleaning fluid.
Buc ees is a big deal here in Texas, and when travelling long distances, is a great place. SCs fit really well as charging for one hour allows a road tripper to pit stop, eat and decompress. I wonder if the SCs at Buc ees as Semi ready or Tesla Semi capable?