Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice! But what % of all cars on the road are Teslas?

In Virginia? Not many Tesla, relatively speaking.

Go to the Bay Area and have your mind blown! Considering that Tesla's first mass-market car didn't start getting delivered to real customer's hands until less than 4 years ago, it's nothing short of amazing and even Virginia is far above conventional analysts wildest projections in terms of EV adoption (and it's mostly Teslas).! And that car that didn't start hitting the street in any number until 2018, the Model 3, supposedly (according to the media), had a failed production ramp. Ha!

Go to the Bay Area and have your mind blown! Considering that Tesla's first mass-market car didn't start getting delivered to real customer's hands until less than 4 years ago, it's nothing short of amazing and even Virginia is far above conventional analysts wildest projections in terms of EV adoption (and it's mostly Teslas).! And that car that didn't start hitting the street in any number until 2018, the Model 3, supposedly (according to the media), had a failed production ramp. Ha!

in Northern Virginia, Teslas are everywhere. I play in a pinball league with about 25 people and 5 (soon to be 6) of us drive Teslas. You see multiple at any stoplight.

For a second I was thinking that Tesla employees must be appreciating the fact that they can buy in at the lowest price of the quarter (Not sure how true that is, but it was in a video upthread) and then looked up to see the that lowest price this quarter was ~775. :eek::eek:
Not the lowest price in the quarter.
From what I learnt through someone who was with Tesla until recently, it's the lowest closing price between two days, the beginning and ending days of the quarterly period.
Lowest price in the quarter would be very expensive for the company when the SP is volatile?

Over here it's called Teslafornia.

One of those is a reliability issue(s) and two of them are annoyances. Consumer Reports says they were all reliability issues. Another reliability issue is panel gaps. I have bought new cars only since 1989 and have never once checked panel gaps on any car and that includes the 2 Tesla's we have. Yet consumers have been hammered to check Tesla's for inconsistent panel gaps. Never even heard of the idea until I paid attention to Tesla. Made me remember something I found odd with our BMW 530i trunk. Never thought much of it, but now would say hey the trunk wasnt 100% perfect.

Same here as we have had more minor issues than other cars but nothing that would leave us stranded on the road.

Some how they are not accounting for the lack of maintenance. Even with the minor issues, I spend less time dealing with the Tesla's than with ICE cars overall.

Hence a general bias towards MFOP (Maintenance Free Operating Period) over MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) for properly assessing reliability

Reactions: Lessmog and thx1139
Going forward, if Lease Return values plunge due to a precipitous drop in new ICE sales, then Ford's long term debt may in fact be MUCH WORSE than it looks.

Ford's solvency is literally skating on THIN ICE... :p

Cheers!

Are you saying a division of Ford actually hold legal title to all those ICE cars they financed and leased? What is the average age of all these cars they could be on the hook for once values start dropping again?

I had assumed they had sold off the loans and leases to finance companies so all those aging ICE cars did not become a liability. This is very relevant to TSLA because it affects how quickly they might fail.

Exactly! Debt reduces your options. This is a corporate example of why debt is bad even when you think you have everything under control. The lack of debt provides freedom and that freedom can be leveraged to make even more money than would be possible by leveraging the debt.

The standard finance education teaches that adding debt, even if not required, increases valuation/profits. It's part of the typical short term thinking that is so prevalent in modern business that only focuses on quarterly profits. It always seemed far too simplistic for me.

The married mother of two said male workers would routinely proposition her, stare at her breasts, describe her as having an "onion booty" or "Coke bottle," and brush up against her body while pretending it was accidental.

Barraza, a Modesto, California resident, said the final straw came on Sept. 28, when a man snuck up behind her and put his leg between her thighs as she clocked in from her lunch break.

Perhaps offsetting some of CNN's ridiculous video exposure today, we have iJustine (6.8M Youtube subscribers, 1.7M Twitter followers) finding a Plaid S in inventory, impulse-buying it, picking up same day, and putting out a very flattering video. Crazy world we live in.

I'm glad she got used to the "Sandwich Driving Stick Wheel"

1637345949170.png

Last edited:
The standard finance education teaches that adding debt, even if not required, increases valuation/profits. It's part of the typical short term thinking that is so prevalent in modern business that only focuses on quarterly profits. It always seemed far too simplistic for me.

Exactly, and it benefits bankers, financiers, etc. The commonly projected wisdom often lacks true wisdom and vision and is self-serving to the people/industries pushing it.

I know I'm always quoting the old fella but it's because he's usually right. He says conventional wisdom is often long on convention and short on wisdom

If you read the transcript, Zach alluded to a hit to GROSS margins but are expecting to expand OPERATING margins going forward for the next 4-5 quarters.

"The launch of Austin and Berlin, we'll have ramp inefficiencies there for some period of time until we get those factories up and running. And so that's likely to put some downward pressure on our margins as those factories ramp. Our goals are to ramp those as quickly as possible. But as Drew mentioned earlier, there are a number of unknown unknowns that we'll need to work through.

With respect to operating margin, we've been very focused as a company on managing our overhead expenses and operating expenses. And operating expenses as a percentage of revenue has been declining, and I expect that trend to continue to happen. And I think the net of all of this is hopefully that we continue to make progress on operating margin over the next four or five quarters. As we think kind of forward, the business up until this point has kind of largely been a hardware automotive business with a little bit of software on top of that."

Reduced Gross Profit Margins in Q1 is a possibility but I think Zach is lowering expectations to then deliver a beat in Q1.
Here is why I think so:

Table on the left is the Shanghai Ramp
Table on the right is my expected Berlin/Austin Ramp

1637344499054.png

Shanghai Ramp:
See Yellow Boxes
When Shanghai ramped in Q1 2020, it represented 20% of Tesla's production that quarter. Fremont had two items hurting margins in Q1: it commenced production of the Model Y and total Fremont production dropped by 18k units vs Q4 2019. The 0.9% in margins were due to lower production in Fremont, lower Model Y margins in Fremont due to the ramp and Shanghai representing 20% of total production.

Berlin/Austin Ramp:
See Orange Boxes
In contrast to Q1 2020, we see favorable conditions in Q1 2022.
The stable and higher margin Fremont/Shanghai plants will grow production by about 17k in Q1 (rather than the decline we saw in Fremont in Q1 2020).
In addition, the production for Berlin/Austin will only account for about 10% of total production (much less than the Shanghai 20% when it launched).
We also have price increases coming into effect in Q1, With these factors, I am expecting the margin to improve in Q1 2022 by 0.6% (this may change as new information comes in).

This is all guess work; we could see a decline, but for now I am modeling a margin increase in Q1 2022.