Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon/Tesla skills of perfect desire and pipeline building.

step1: Announce truck with RWD/AWD/Trimotor super cheap for the amazing unbelievable range advertised. Competition urged to meet price points at lower capability. I bet this had influence on the price structure of Rivian and Ford, and on their rush to market with their product. We know how well that went for GM with the Bolt beating Model3 to market at the expense of proper battery vetting.

step2: Much later, when tech specs are pretty final on competitors products about to launch, withdraw lowest tier (RWD), moving some of the orders towards AWD version (dual motor), adding higher tier (four motors) with announcement of even more super advanced technology than trimotor and the competitors. Resulting in a pipeline to only have to deliver the most expensive three and four motors for at least a year before cost refinement allows delivering dual motor for the advertised price range for existing orders. Would not be surprised if prices go up for new orders as first deliveries and amazement causes more orders to flow in across the full range of options.

4D chess at its finest.

Sometimes I like to think about which Elon will win...

The Elon that wants competitors to be a part of electrification and encourages them to do better or the one that loves to compete and likes to punish competitors for being inexplicably dumb, amoral, and bad at engineering.

Is 4-wheel steering more efficient than 2-wheel steering? This is contrary to what we've learned growing up when we consider conventional 4x4's and that low-efficiency Transfer Case, and so on, to re-distribute the torque from one single engine. I'm sure the savings are miniscule, but still, that is the game.

They may have even simplified the steering in the process - however, this is a leap of imagination. What if there is no steering required in the sense of a gearbox and tie rods, unless needed as emergency backup? It takes some energy to turn the wheel correct? Especially with lots of angular momentum on spinning wheels. Combine Regen and Accel on opposing sides. Further, could equal but opposing wheel torque alone cause the wheels to turn without the vehicle moving, and without any steering forces? One flaw is you'd need to accommodate a failed motor somehow... maybe the steering is manual like the old days, used in emergencies. Your steering wheel is no different than a nice gaming wheel with Haptic Feedback, and engages only when needed. I think I'll go smoke some more...
That's a good point. Do we technically need to "steer" the wheels or can we just turn off one of the motors on that side? Like a tank type turn.

Edit, Elon confirmed true rear steering, not just tank type turns.
We're not gonna call this the obvious Berlin opening???? Should we be buying 12/10 calls?
Haven't we been already??? lol

I did buy a few for 12/17 (in case whatever happens takes a while to click) but mostly targeted for dates just past Q4 PD/earnings. That way I'm covered for 12/9 with a Q4 backstop.

Reactions: UltradoomY
And doing my part.
View attachment 740205

I think a trap is set for the shorts - just a hunch. The low volume was too much for the shorts today to dip in one more time, all the while knowing Musk is up to something akin to a 4D chess game and anything is possible... this weekend, then Monday.

(Edit: Well, now it's heavy volume.)
This brainless ant thinks the high volume you just noticed was the MM's getting their shell game in high gear the SP may go back to reality soon.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I was stressing over the macro bloodbath today until I picked up a couple June '23 tsla leaps and 100 shares. Put this pullback in a whole new light. :)

It's pretty scary buying the dip because every once in a while it continues down on a macro even with reports or bond spikes. (But not as scary as early FSD, lol). I think that's how I picked up many chairs in the 800s first of the year and then went underwater almost full year. It looked like a nice dip, I bought, turned out prolonged.

However this time there is some fantastic news about to become unhidable in the media, so I invest with conviction.

1638554984454.png

I agree many JVs do not work.
I think Ford and VW cultures are more closely aligned. Indeed I wondered if they might merge last time, but instead Ford managed to pull through (good for them).
This time both know their platforms are burning and that business-as-usual won't work, and they made all the easy moves last time.
So maybe, just maybe, they might do this.

I'm willing to take on risk here, not because of 12/9 or Elon's tweets, but because we'll get China Nov numbers on Tuesday or Wednesday. Still might get a further sell off to test the 50-day moving average on Monday.....so like 990-1,000.

TSLA continues to not bounce as hard as the Nasdaq which tells me the stock is set on testing that 50-day average. So either the stock drops to 990-1,000 on Monday or it stagnates until the China Nov numbers so that the 50-day average catches up to 1,015-1,025 and then takes off
I could be wrong, but I think part of the reason for it not bouncing is because Elon is still selling shares today.

Reactions: UncaNed and SO16
I could be wrong, but I think part of the reason for it not bouncing is because Elon is still selling shares today.
I would find it very surprising if Elon's selling plan is in action today. His scheduled sells have never been on a Friday and if you're implementing a scheduled sell plan, no one in their right mind would have any sell orders on a Friday.

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax and UCF3
I'm willing to take on risk here, not because of 12/9 or Elon's tweets, but because we'll get China Nov numbers on Tuesday or Wednesday. Still might get a further sell off to test the 50-day moving average on Monday.....so like 990-1,000.

TSLA continues to not bounce as hard as the Nasdaq which tells me the stock is set on testing that 50-day average. So either the stock drops to 990-1,000 on Monday or it stagnates until the China Nov numbers so that the 50-day average catches up to 1,015-1,025 and then takes off

Yeah, I'm considering using some margin to pick up short term shares at this discount. With both new factories coming online soon plus a blowout Q4 next month, I'm finding it hard to see how TSLA won't be very up by the end of January or even sooner.

Is 4-wheel steering more efficient than 2-wheel steering?
It's not about efficiency it's about maneuverability in tight situations, mostly useful off road. If you want to crab sideways you can't do that just by torque steering motors, you need to physically steer the wheels. It's mostly a gimmick that few will ever use but if other competitors have it and it's not that difficult to implement it makes sense to add it.

It's not ONLY about efficiency it's about maneuverability in tight situations, mostly useful off road. If you want to crab sideways you can't do that just by torque steering motors, you need to physically steer the wheels. It's mostly a gimmick that few will ever use but if other competitors have it and it's not that difficult to implement it makes sense to add it.
FIFY.

It's not about efficiency it's about maneuverability in tight situations, mostly useful off road. If you want to crab sideways you can't do that just by torque steering motors, you need to physically steer the wheels. It's mostly a gimmick that few will ever use but if other competitors have it and it's not that difficult to implement it makes sense to add it.
Pointing the wheels along their path makes movement more efficient than scubbing (offset by the energy needed to turn them). More of a factor in tight turns like parking lots.

You do raise an interesting point that path planning is much simpler if the vehicle can translate sideways. Partly decouples yaw, transverse and longitudinal movement. Great for connecting a trailer, parallel parking, trailer antisway, emergency collidion avoidance (gets the tail over)... Also cuts turning radius way down. Could even straighten the truck out in a cross wind.