Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a lot more engineering work than you may think to switch battery cell chemistry from NMC to LFP. The heating profile and ion conductivity are vastly different between the two cathode chemistries. It will not be as simple as just making a cell with the same electrode layer thickness as existing cells. Much thermal modeling and testing wiould be required, and then you have to ask yourself "what are the potential gains?" vs just building more of the exisitng prismatic cells.

There's nothing magical about the 4680 cell format: it's an engineering compromise that was chosen specifically for Tesla's nickel chemistry cells. I don't expect any movement before 4680 production is fully ramped with the existing design. After that, why not another clean sheet of paper? Reinvent the wheel only when the wheel costs too much, is too hard to build, or is in some other way unfit for purpose.

Cheers!

What potential gains?
Leverage of DBE (less manufacturing cost and footprint)
Leverage of all the new 4680 production machinery (reuse)
Commoditization of support equipment (reuse/ cost reduction)
Pull pack manufacturing in-house to match cell production ( I believe LFP packs come preassembled)
Reduction in cell flavors (Long term)
4680 may be overkill, but it has better resistive losses and thermal performance than prismatic. (better performance for energy systems)
LCT (Low Cost Tesla) and Robo-Taxi would likely have a structural LFP pack which would favor cylindrical. (lowered vehicle cost)

To me, if Tesla is going to make it's own LFP cells they will be 4680. That is the least reinventing of the wheel. Otherwise, their team needs to also create a new prismatic assembly line.

It's a lot more engineering work than you may think to switch battery cell chemistry from NMC to LFP...

There's nothing magical about the 4680 cell format:

You are certainly correct about engineering issues. As I understand it the production economies of a single form factor, especially with structural packs, probably out weigh the other issues. of course, AFAIK nobody knows for certain what results LG, Panasonic and CAPL may be having with their 4680 developments. Factually we really have no way to know how much they are doing. The announcements have been cryptic and vague.

I do not think any of these will enter production soon, perhaps the Panasonic one will be the first.

Frankly as I see it the production simplicity may be a major factor. OTOH, CATL prismatics already do that, but not structural.
The structural pack issues may be among the most important questions. Can the CATL prismatics be compatible with that? We do not know for sure, do we?

If I am Ford I put it all on the Lightening because the margins will be insane.

Don't confuse high selling prices with high margins. The only way Ford can survive is to continue selling millions of high margin ICE F-150's. High selling prices can be maintained when it's a seller's market but high margins that are reliable are made possible by controlling the cost to produce. Ford is not well positioned to have a low cost to produce, relative to Tesla. They are better positioned than GM but that's not saying much. The only reason Ford will be able to sell EV's is because Tesla cannot supply the entire EV market. Consumers will have no choice but to pay the higher prices or go without (which is what they will do in a soft economy). GM and Ford are one soft economy away from bankruptcy.

Upper-BB opened at with nice step up over Friday: 1,149.34

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-01-03.09-35.png

Pre-market volume was yuuge: 2.175m shares!

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes​

Data last updated Jan 03, 2022 09:30 AM ET.
This page will resume updating on Jan 04, 2022 04:00 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1149.17 +92.39 (+8.74%)
Pre-Market Volume2,175,910
Pre-Market High$1154 (09:17:49 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1056.78 (08:15:59 AM)

Cheers to the Longs!

Deutsche Bank Adjusts Tesla PT to $1,200 From $1,000, Maintains Buy Rating​

9:25 AM ET, 01/03/2022 - MT Newswires
09:25 AM EST, 01/03/2022 (MT Newswires) -- Deutsche Bank increased its price target on Tesla (TSLA) to $1,200 from $1,000 following the company's reported Q4 deliveries, beating the consensus estimates and moving the stock price almost 7% higher pre-market.