Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talking about colours. Has anybody bought a plain black model 3, brought it to a quality paint shop and painted it a custom colour? Extra clear etc. Looked for a thread on this. Didn’t find one. Any down side to this,

@outdoors had his vinyl wrapped. Protects the paint, changes the color, and is fully reversible. Other people get their car dipped, same sort of thing, can peel it off later.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Talking about colours. Has anybody bought a plain black model 3, brought it to a quality paint shop and painted it a custom colour? Extra clear etc. Looked for a thread on this. Didn’t find one. Any down side to this,
From what I have read on teh Interwebbs, some people buy the cheap color and then take it to some place to do a vinyl wrap. Costs about the same as a fancier paint and can be almost any color, and company profile logo etc. Also serves to protect the original paint for when you sell the car one day. But I have not tried this.

Now that the trump cloud is gone.

Trump cloud probably not gone: that his own appointee Attorney General "decided" that there wasn't "enough evidence" to indict Donald Trump for obstruction of justice, and the fact that the target of a federal criminal investigation wasn't even interviewed, because he didn't want to, and relied on lawyer authored "written responses" instead of interviewing Trump under oath, is going to haunt Trump all the way to next November...

Criminals avoiding justice for the time being probably won't matter much to TSLA price action though. :D

Last edited:
I agree. It’s funny though. I was so conditioned to Model 3 delays that when Elon said that, I immediately stored in my brain, “OK, SR Model 3 mid summer sometime then”, and in fact would tell my friends that. But you’re right, by October 2018, Elon did have a firm handle on expected production dates (and folks, it takes TIME to roll out a new battery pack, as the SR version no doubt has. It could not have been a snap decision).

This is why I think Elon has embarked of a strategy of under-promise and over-deliver.... It's what everyone, especially shorts, expect the least.

Trump cloud probably not gone: that his own appointee Attorney General "decided" that there wasn't "enough evidence" to indict Donald Trump for obstruction of justice, and the fact that the target of a federal criminal investigation wasn't even interviewed, because he didn't want to, and relied on lawyer authored "written responses" instead of interviewing Trump under oath, is going to haunt Trump all the way to next November...
We’ll see. Think we bounce hard tomorrow in general. Trade em well good sir. Tesla has neither denied or requested an evidentiary hearing - hope judge reviews evidence and makes a decision tomorrow.

Tesla has neither denied or requested an evidentiary hearing - hope judge reviews evidence and makes a decision tomorrow.

Briefs on evidentiary hearing are due until the 26th - next on Tuesday:

Order on Motion for Leave to File Document – #29 in United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk (S.D.N.Y., 1:18-cv-08865) – CourtListener.com

"No later than March 26, 2019, each party shall indicate in writing whether it is seeking an evidentiary hearing on this matter."​

So Judge Nathan won't be making any decisions in Elon's case tomorrow.

Last edited:
Briefs on evidentiary hearing are due until the 26th - next Tuesday:

Order on Motion for Leave to File Document – #29 in United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk (S.D.N.Y., 1:18-cv-08865) – CourtListener.com

"No later than March 26, 2019, each party shall indicate in writing whether it is seeking an evidentiary hearing on this matter."​

Judge won't be making any decisions in Elon's case tomorrow.
That's day after tomorrow -- first Tuesday to come, not next. (Precision!) But you're right.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fact Checking
This is why I think Elon has embarked of a strategy of under-promise and over-deliver.... It's what everyone, especially shorts, expect the least.

Oh, is that his NEW strategy? I hope so because it took him a long time to learn over promise and under deliver was not working, clearly a genius business move.

Good point: $3,500 is the median federal tax liability IIRC, and the $35k SR will probably enable a lot of families with lower levels of tax liabilities to get basically 10% off the price of their car.

For them this is still a "full" tax incentive.
Married filing jointly would have a 3.5k fed tax if the income after deductions etc is about $30k or about $55k to $60k in pre-tax income.

Do people spend half their annual income on cars ?

Twitter

EDIT: I know that midnight Wednesday could mean the minute after 11:59pm Tuesday, but I and I think most people take it to mean Wednesday night, midnight Thursday.

Yeah, Tesla kind of messed up how they presented this. 'Midnight Wednesday' typically means 'the point at which Tuesday night transitions into Wednesday morning.' Lots of people use it incorrectly, but there's a reason that contracts generally specify 12:01 AM or 11:59 PM rather than midnight--to avoid ambiguity. They should have said 'Midnight Wednesday evening' if they meant tonight. Not a big deal, but another pet peeve of mine. :)

Thought you'd appreciate the recent tweet:
Please note prices on all Tesla inventory cars worldwide rise by ~3% on April 1
To be precise, midnight on April 1, so effective April 2

More EST (Elon Standard Time)
(personally, I stay up till midnight on the day I start on and being up at 2am Thursday is really being up late Wednesday night)

Didn't the SEC already state in writing they don't want an evidentiary hearing? May just be Elon's attorneys that haven't decided since they haven't put anything in writing.

An anecdote.

Attended a kid's birthday party yesterday. Two new 3s. One of them traded in their X - easier to drive. The other one surprisingly turned out to be my neighbor ! I had talked to him a couple of months back about getting an EV. He had rejected the idea and wanted to get a BMW X5. But he thought more about it, test drove 3 and liked it. Immediately ordered and got one - he didn't even ask me about it again.

Moral of the story : talk to folks you know about getting EVs. Even if they seem not open to the idea, the very fact of you talking to them makes them open to the idea.

The biggest FUD destroyer is letting someone in the driver's seat. Joe Rogan, a muscle car guy, after owning his Tesla:

"That car is the future, when you drive it you realize other cars are stupid."

Married filing jointly would have a 3.5k fed tax if the income after deductions etc is about $30k or about $55k to $60k in pre-tax income.

Do people spend half their annual income on cars ?

Yes - annual income is the psychological limit if I'm interpreting the data right.

But 80% of car purchases are at least partially financed from loans, so a lot depends on interest rates, credit rating, insurance rates and how the car mortgage payments relate to take home pay and home mortgage payments (if any).

$35k entry price captures about 50% of transactions and ~70% of the revenue of all car sales. (In the U.S.)

Exactly! I have a Trump neighbor (get along sort of) who I confirmed watches Fox only - classic type. He's got 2 newer Corvettes (one has >500HP) and so he is the least likely to want a Tesla. I still asked him if he has any plans to get a Tesla, then some small talk. I've gotta get him in the car, this guy knows handling so it will sell on that alone for him.

So after reading your statement, maybe I should be sensitive to his resistance of global warming etc. Don't make it about that at all... tell him "forget that this is electric, try it... the low CG makes steering like nothing on this planet." This approach diffuses the whole political narrative and jumps right to the heart of what he likes! Kinda like that car commercial that hid the labels, asked what they thought it was worth, then voila, it's a Chevy!

Just a passing OT Sunday thought...

Get him to ride in it, then don't forget to tell him it's made in the USA, and that 2/3rds of our trade deficit for the last 40 or so years has been ICE automobiles and the oil to power them, while the USA is now a huge exporter of electric cars (because of Tesla) and we make the best in EVs in the world.

As noted previously, that doesn't preclude an earlier market reaction in the (IMHO unlikely, but possible) event that the SEC moves to dismiss its own case.

• Informative
Reactions: Mobius484

Wonder the tactical advantage Tesla is taking here by neither requesting or denying the opportunity for an evidentiary hearing. Maybe they laid down the case and want to give the SEC a window to withdraw or settle before judge rolls foward with contempt proceeding