Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon just hit 90m followers on Twitter.

80m to 90m in an incredible 30 days! Buying Twitter will have helped more than a little.

Previous were:

80-90 in 30 days (2 April 22 to 2 May 22)
70-80 in 79 days (Jan 13th 22 to 2nd April 22)
60-70 in 116 days
50-60 in 170 days

Obama is #1 at 132m.

Elon making 100m will be a big news story in a month or so.

Tom from myspace would be your first friend when you made an account. I'm not sure that everyone on twitter being Elon's follower is much different.

Someone presented a proposal to be voted on by shareholders. If it passes, to force Tesla to sell it's Bitcoins and never buy them again. Tesla doesn't want this to be voted on, and has asked the SEC for it's guidance.
Not sure why, almost none of these proposals pass. I have not voted my shares often, but if this comes up, I will be sure to vote against the proposal.

I wish I could just shadow someone to learn a way to low risk my way into this. I’ve got 1500 shares and have been terrified to do anything. With only a 50k income and being up like 1300-1700% over 5 years I fear I’ll always be too paralyzed to take risk as this is my one way ticket to an early retirement and knowing myself I’d ruin it.
I see you are a very successful investor. Congrats! Paralysis can be very profitable investing behavior. Especially compared to someone who is always trying to maximize their returns by using sophisticated risk management tools to protect gains and technical charting and analysis to analyze what the share price might do next. By doing nothing, you have a powerful edge over the really smart people trying to demonstrate that they are the ones actively guiding their wise investment decisions. Plus, it helps avoid paying huge tax bills until absolutely necessary.

Source? I looked but couldn't find anything...
We talked about this Friday...
May mean well, but the proposal is overly broad (the GPU training cluster could be deemed 'mining hardware') and out of date (current median transaction cost is 0.59) https://www.sec.gov/divisions/corpfin/cf-noaction/14a-8/2022/sumtristesla012422-14a8-incoming.pdf

Secretive much?

Here's the SEC link: https://www.sec.gov/divisions/corpfin/cf-noaction/14a-8/2022/sumtristesla012422-14a8-incoming.pdf

It's just a proposal by Karen from Iceland to force a vote for Tesla to divest all their crypto holdings and end any affiliation with crypto due to the high amount of energy it consumes.

I would be against the proposal simply because it forces Tesla management to take action on something I voted them in power to handle. And I don't think holding Bitcoin consumes vast amounts of power.

Here's an article suggesting Tesla is likely to prevail:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it's determined this is within the purview of shareholder resolutions and it could even pass. That would make me sad that so little faith was placed in Tesla management to do the right thing because I think Elon might be doing this in part to encourage crypto to clean up its act or stimulate the development of a renewable energy-based crypto that could stimulate solar and wind energy companies. Other than these potential positive results, I don't think it matters a whole lot which way this goes other than it would be a disappointing display of a lack of shareholder confidence in Tesla management and their goals.

Edit: I believe he can't sell for 3 years after exercising the options but it may be possible to pledge . . .but not sure.

It's 5 years, I think. Paging @mongo

The whole "Elon's getting margin called" is like an adolenscent wet dream from 2018. To hear TSLAQ bring it up again now is like a bad mid-life crisis. Elon has already proven there's an endless appetite for his shares, and he has an ample supply. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Rivian is collecting expertise in off roading, and they have lots to learn still. I wonder if Tesla will have a titanium shield on the bottom that is more solid than what Underneath the Rivian after some off road scrapes shows ?
I suspect not... the titanium shield plate added to Model S is rather small (#2 in the pic below) and strategically placed to avoid damage to the front face of the critical battery pack, which if punctured is a fire hazard to occupants. The bottom of the rest of the pack has ballistic-grade aluminum armor, which has fared well.

The Rivian video linked showed only damage to the cosmetic plastic "panels" and non-recessed fasteners on the bottom of the truck surrounding the pack. The bottom surface of the pack itself appears to have held up well, and the material looks similar to the bottom surface of Tesla's pack.

Rather than expensive titanium trim pieces over the bottom of the non-fragile frame rails, I think the problem could be addressed with simply something more robust than plastic along with countersunk/recessed fasteners.

Model S Pack protection pic:
1651500428553.png

Key: (1) a hollow aluminum deflector bar, (2) a titanium plate and (3) a solid aluminum extrusion.

yes - working out the math gets a large number of potential vehicles in the backlog.
However, the deposits do cover energy products as well as annual service agreements.
There also may be large deposits for the Roadster and Semi.
Some people keep claiming that the Cybertruck backlog exceed 1 million; I'm a bit skeptical about this but who knows? 🤷‍♂️
I’m pretty sure the backlog is at least 1 million cyber tracks but the size of the car is equivalent to large size pick up truck Ford F150, etc. so the regular Tesla enthusiast may not get the cyber truck based on practical issues. However there are a huge number and market for large size pickup trucks and given the performance metrics of load and towing capacity including range, would make it hard to pass up as a business entity or for regular pickup use as a pickup is intended.

Someone presented a proposal to be voted on by shareholders. If it passes, to force Tesla to sell it's Bitcoins and never buy them again. Tesla doesn't want this to be voted on, and has asked the SEC for it's guidance.

It's a proposal to put it in the ballot. Tesla's management doesn't think it's a valid shareholder proposal and that's being challenged. It will only be voted on if Tesla management is found to be wrong. It may never be voted on. If it is put on the ballot, I will be voting with Tesla's management.

Tom from myspace would be your first friend when you made an account. I'm not sure that everyone on twitter being Elon's follower is much different.
What?

I've never heard of anyone joining Twitter automatically having their brand new account auto-following Musk. I believe everyone has to manually do so like I did...

I see you are a very successful investor. Congrats! Paralysis can be very profitable investing behavior. Especially compared to someone who is always trying to maximize their returns by using sophisticated risk management tools to protect gains and technical charting and analysis to analyze what the share price might do next. By doing nothing, you have a powerful edge over the really smart people trying to demonstrate that they are the ones actively guiding their wise investment decisions. Plus, it helps avoid paying huge tax bills until absolutely necessary.
Well said. HODL is such a good idea for 99.999% of folks, demonstrated time and time again. Even professionals screw it up by not HODL. As Buffett just said, it is not even about being smart, just being sane.

I have mixed feelings on Karens proposal. On the face of it bitcoin is terrible, it's just a terrible energy hog so she's making a great point. OTOH I don't like shareholder proposals that needlessly constrain the actions of management. Damage is pretty much done and I think even Elon was shocked when he found out just how much energy was being consumed by the coin mining server farms. How/what to do with it is a fair point but what if they come up with a green certified crypto currency? Why constrain management?

I have mixed feelings on Karens proposal. On the face of it bitcoin is terrible, it's just a terrible energy hog so she's making a great point. OTOH I don't like shareholder proposals that needlessly constrain the actions of management. Damage is pretty much done and I think even Elon was shocked when he found out just how much energy was being consumed by the coin mining server farms. How/what to do with it is a fair point but what if they come up with a green certified crypto currency? Why constrain management?
I agree its wrong to constrain management in this way. I believe that all transitions are 'noisy' but it seems like the hope is that long-term BTC mining could provide supplemental income for solar when excess energy is produced. This seems unreasonable now but if you trust the likes of Tony Seba we could soon (a decade) has an immense glut of energy - so much so that it does not even make sense to store it because the excess would never be used. The question then becomes: what do you do with unlimited energy? This is just an optimistic interpretation, however with Tesla potentially having access to a glut of stored energy (utility scale batteries + autobidder), perhaps they have a plan.

That's not what he said either.
The banks told him they would pull their funding if he didn't settle the SEC case.

Indeed. I got the impression from Elon's TED comments that certain banks were threatening to recall their revolving lines-of-credit facilities if Tesla didn't settle. That's the "working loans" for work-in-progress and inventory capital (therefore the 'LEAST RISKY' part of the business).

Seems to me that one 'certain bank' could well have been JPMoargas (Big Carbon Bankers, Inc.), and their brief was to try to kill off this upstart EV company.

Now, JPMoargas will have to get their monies in court (fat chance there, too). This all occured within weeks during Fall 2018, including this (questionable) bank's decision to sell their TSLA derivatives, thereby locking in a loss.

Only outstanding issue is, did JPMoargas trade their derivatives in anticipation of a certain outcome, one which they themselves worked to precipitate?

Loathsome, if true (but we knew that). ;)

Cheers!

Last edited: