Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed and lets just say that I know a ton about this and also about another company that rhymes with frugal with my time working on maps.

The TL;DR is that @StarFoxisDown! is totally right, without the hardware being in control of Apple, there is very little that will improve with this implementation outside of maybe some more fluid UI. What you won't get is something that competes with Tesla's implementation. If I'm wrong, good for Apple and who ever implements this. I would rather chew glass than be the product manager that has to somehow bend time and space to make my software work on old, super constricted micros, memory modes that are unworkable and forced data structures that don't allow any fluid communication. Building this out will be like trying to build a skyscraper on top of quicksand, the more you build the faster it sinks or is more prone to falling over.

My impression was many legacy car makers are struggling with car software, because of the lack of whole of car OS, but also because many components run software made by the component supplier.

Below the OS, level all components need to have software complying to the model, that can receive OTA upgrades and integrates into the system.

How much of that has Apple tee'd up, and do the component makers for legacy components have the resources to rewrite the software?

if the system doesn't provide OTA updates, it is really just user interface improvement.

In theory Google could do something similar, but component makers will struggle to support one platform, two platforms is probably out of the question.

If Apple was supplying all of the parts to build the cars, then software would be no problem, Apple supplying some components isn't totally impossible.

For EVs and other newer cars this might start to close the gap on Tesla, but IMO only slowly if we are talking OTA upgrades remote diagnostics, etc.
For FSD I can't see how Apple could have the data and I can't see how it would work if training was just done with simulations.

But in particular a legacy ICE car probably contains many components that haven't changed in 10-15 years and a lot of chips that can't readily accept OTA updates.

But many customers will not do a deep dive on the capabilities of the car beyond the "look and feel" of the user interface, if they have never had OTA updates, they will not miss them, So as a marketing exercise, the Apple interface may help sell some cars.

Alright, so apparently this DOES require you to still have an iPhone. The impression I originally had was that Apple was putting their own hardware in the car. This does not seem to be the case, all that is happening is that the car (presumably) now has hardware that can connect to and be controlled by CarPlay. The iPhone still does all the work rendering the UI and sending it to the car's screen(s).

So this obviously has a few problems. First one is that iPhone has a significant market share in a few markets, primarily US, but is nonexistent in many other parts of the world. So if you don't own an iPhone, this doesn't change a thing, you're still stuck with the awful native software in the car. Second is that you would need to keep your iPhone connected to your car all the time to overlay the CarPlay UI. I wonder what happens if you disconnect the phone from the car in the middle of your drive, for instance? Will the car immediately fall back to it's native software so you can still see how fast you are going?

I can see this becoming a huge battle between Apple and legacy auto for control of the car's experience. People who have this new CarPlay will probably want to spend 100% of their time only looking at the CarPlay and not anything from the car's native software. If so then yes Apple now effectively owns the software of the car and they can monetize however they wish, this cuts the automaker out completely. We'll see how happy legacy auto is about this when they can't sell map update for $200 or whatever anymore.

It's obviously better to have a superior native software experience, which is why Tesla's approach is fundamentally a better one. However for the software advantage Tesla currently has to be maintained, they will need to be more aggressive about expanding their in-car software experience. At some point people will just expect all the apps on their phone to appear on their car's screens when they get into their cars, so since Tesla (rightly IMHO) refuses to allow some 3rd party to take over their car like with CarPlay and Android Auto, they will need to get an app ecosystem and probably an app store implemented sooner rather than later so developers can start making apps for Tesla.
I swear to gawd, I don't understand the fascination with carplay or android auto. The Tesla interface is second to none imo. The MCU plays up to 24bit 192khz FLACs, and I've even gotten it to run 24bit 512khz SACD 5.1 surround FLACs for the win. SACD 5.1 is uber hard to extract btw. The premium audio is good enough to where you can hear the difference in audio formats and compression. Shrugs, maybe I'm too old school and just don't get it.

I swear to gawd, I don't understand the fascination with carplay or android auto. The Tesla interface is second to none imo. The MCU plays up to 24bit 192khz FLACs, and I've even gotten it to run 24bit 512khz SACD 5.1 surround FLACs for the win. SACD 5.1 is uber hard to extract btw. The premium audio is good enough to where you can hear the difference in audio formats and compression. Shrugs, maybe I'm too old school and just don't get it.
A car is not a music player. Music is irrelevant to all functions of a vehicle. It is at best a nice to have feature of any environment you happen to be in, and can be easily provided at high quality by simple devices which are personal and don't annoy others.

Elon replies, "It will be our best product ever imo"
I am sure this truck is much better today than when first revealed. Can't wait to hear an update on the current specs (e.g. rear wheel steering, etc).
btw . .unless it's an optical illusion, the windshield wiper does not look as big as the earlier pictures I had seen.

Why’s everyone on Twitter all over the Cybertruck? Some kind of bot attack?

Just polling,
What are your next buy orders set at?

Mine is at $600. Anyone less aggressive?
Bought a handful at $704.$$;) today. I don’t expect we break $700 this week, but I have several more small buys set all the way down to $569.$$ just in case. Hopefully, those don’t hit. Still trying to reserve some cash, but it’s hard at these levels. I missed out on the last time we revisited the $500s due to lack of cash, so this time I’ve resolved to have a bit more willpower, which probably just means $700 is the low.:rolleyes:

Updated Cybertruck interior

60CEAA95-2B86-424C-91BB-B4CC6114C592.png

0278197A-31E4-4E1E-BD4E-2D6183EEE5BB.jpeg

Good god I want that ugly SOB.

I agree. 79% doesn’t make sense when the iPhone has like 60% market share in the US, but there was no more context or fine print that they shared. They just presented that number as a fact during the keynote.
Maybe what they did is surveyed people on which cars they would consider buying, and 79% of those people only responded with cars that support CarPlay - which is apparently 98% of cars.

Put another way, 21% of people said they were considering at least one car in the 2% group (aka Tesla).

Why’s everyone on Twitter all over the Cybertruck? Some kind of bot attack?

The Cybertruck just keep looking better and better. It's a real work of art on wheels. People who say it can't do real work simply don't know what they are talking about - they are basing their silly conclusion on nothing more than their own preconceptions of what a work truck looks like.

People who use their truck for work tend to have very high fuel bills just from driving from job to job and to their suppliers to pick up materials, tools or parts. The gas savings will amount a daily raise. The lack of needing to schedule regular maintenance will allow them to do more jobs. The radically modern look will attract more work because it's memorable and perhaps better jobs. I mean, if you're going to hire an electrician, would it be a guy driving a regular old truck or van or a Cybertruck?

I do think many of the Cybertruck attacks are bots. The number of attacks make complete sense if you understand just how many different interests are threatened by the Cybertruck. The Cybertruck is Elon's secret weapon and it's going to catch all the naysayers totally off-guard as it becomes an unbelievable sensation.

I mean, if you're going to hire an electrician, would it be a guy driving a regular old truck or van or a Cybertruck?
Man, I understand your enthusiasm, but this is out there. I wouldnt give a damn what care my electrician drove, as long as he was capable of doing the job I hired him for. That would undoubtedly go for most people who aren't Tesla fans first and foremost.
That said, I'd love to see the truck out on the streets for real, but I wouldn't be surprised if that took a while considering my location.