Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that I think could be incredibly damaging to the economy that isn't being talked about at all right now is deflation. We are running so hot right now that the bottom could fall out of inflation when a recession happens. Deflation in a recession would hurt the economy tremendously.
Deflation in a hot job market and stable banks/households? I'll take it.

We need to crack this oil trade. Period.

What I want to hear is: do we know that these are truly made from a dry electrode process? If so, didn't we just knock the "too much energy spent on batteries" argument back on its heels?

Tours and videos have confirmed all Tesla-made 4680 cells (not speaking for Panasonic, but they are not in ramp yet) are DBE. No exceptions.

Deflation in a hot job market and stable banks/households? I'll take it.

We need to crack this oil trade. Period.

Job market is RAPIDLY cooling.

Just yesterday I hired some sys admins. Got 2, was hoping for one. Paid reasonable rates for both, but FAR less than I was fearing. Had 42 applications for the position, was expecting/hoping for 2-3 applicants.

Just yesterday I hired some sys admins. Got 2, was hoping for one. Paid reasonable rates for both, but FAR less than I was fearing. Had 42 applications for the position, was expecting/hoping for 2-3 applicants.

I think the most likely outcome at this point is that we will have a small recession, and unemployment could rise to ~6%.

What this economy really needs is productivity growth. The big reason inflation is high is because labor costs are growing ~5% per year but workers are producing less per hour.

Also, I would like to know what folks are smoking if they think 178 lbs is not a significant improvement in vehicle weight. From what I have read, engineering teams pore over parts and materials lists exhaustively to save a few ounces or the occasional pound here or there, in cars where mileage is considered to matter (most of 'em these days). 178 lbs lighter means your first passenger is "free", for goodness sake (rough estimate; Your Passenger May Vary ;)). That is a Deal. Possibly a Big Deal. As an engineer, wouldn't you be thrilled with "it saves me weight AND money? I thought I had to trade those two off against each other..."
Things that should make the MY SR weigh less than the MW LR:
  • 15kWh smaller than the LR (67kWh vs 82 kWh)
  • Structural battery pack instead of frame + battery box
  • Front/rear castings
To me that should yield at least twice the gains - maybe a bit more.

Reactions: kbM3 and bkp_duke

I'm just keeping an eye on my LinkedIn network which spans a pretty generic consulting, finance, general corporate spectrum. Still seeing tons of open positions from 6 months ago. New ones do seem to have cooled off in the last month or so.

With all the buildout that needs to happen from infrastructure to energy(proper renewables and otherwise), I don't see jobs being a problem any time soon. With boomers leaving the workforce and cramming into Florida, we should be fine for a good while. I mean.....who's gonna pay for the bailout when they realize zero savings isn't quite enough? We gotta get to work!

Exactly. Tesla built a small, elegant, high-powered charging cable and connector. CCS is just a fat ugly step-child by comparison.
Most of the CCS standards players are incentivized to make BEVs as lame as possible so gas cars remain relevant. Denise has problems plugging in her standard J1772 into her 2015 Leaf. I suspect the CCS plug will keep a lot of ladies from getting a BEV.

For you guys thinking Superchargers are such a great advantage in the competition for sales, you might sample the thread on CCS in the Supercharging section. Owners with late model Ys And 3s are buying CCS adapters from Tesla South Korea via a forwarder. The reasons: CCS prices are cheaper, they are where Superchargers aren’t and they aren’t busy when the Superchargers are.

For you guys thinking Superchargers are such a great advantage in the competition for sales, you might sample the thread on CCS in the Supercharging section. Owners with late model Ys And 3s are buying CCS adapters from Tesla South Korea via a forwarder. The reasons: CCS prices are cheaper, they are where Superchargers aren’t and they aren’t busy when the Superchargers are.

There is certainly a utility to CCS, not arguing that, and more charging coverage is of course better.

But MAN that connector could have been so much smaller, so much better.

I'm just keeping an eye on my LinkedIn network which spans a pretty generic consulting, finance, general corporate spectrum. Still seeing tons of open positions from 6 months ago. New ones do seem to have cooled off in the last month or so.

With all the buildout that needs to happen from infrastructure to energy(proper renewables and otherwise), I don't see jobs being a problem any time soon. With boomers leaving the workforce and cramming into Florida, we should be fine for a good while. I mean.....who's gonna pay for the bailout when they realize zero savings isn't quite enough? We gotta get to work!
We've been struggling to hire junior bankers lately too (please don't all cry at my plight at once). Agree there's a tonne of demand for staff to organise all the financing for the green transition.

Nasdaq support is fading... Seems more likely than not that it will re-test 11k. Tesla even staying above 650 would be rather strong in that case.

TSLA ignoring its beta, matching the NDX as of 10:15 ET

Market Indexes.2022-06-10.10-15.png

S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap.2022-06-10.10-15.png

Tesla has FINALLY joined the S&P 500! :D

Cheers to the longs!