Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember . . . . Q2 is a Bear Trap
(Blue = Actual)
(Red = My Forecast)

View attachment 812336

Shown like this so my car can understand it:

1655243916592.png

But twisted with a motive. Elon says a lot of things… and put them in different contexts or twist them, they can sound incredibly bad or used to push an agenda. Like most of us if lots of what we said was recorded.
Those who have been invested in $TSLA for a while know to take everything Elon says with a 'grain of salt'....however.....majority of what he says seem to come to fruition eventually.

Just sent a message to a member I’ve been in contact with over the past month or so that I wouldn’t give up my self imposed posting ban, but you all are being ridiculous.

Elon’s quote about tesla being worthless without solving autonomy is being taken wildly out of context. In that interview, he said ANY (auto) company that didn’t solve autonomy was doomed to failure, so of course that would mean tesla would fail, too. It’s implied that he thinks autonomy will be solved at some point in the future, and the profits will solely be shared by the companies that can deliver.

He goes into much more detail about this and why it’s specifically true to EV makers.

Sheesh.

Elon’s quote about tesla being worthless without solving autonomy is being taken wildly out of context. In that interview, he said ANY (auto) company that didn’t solve autonomy was doomed to failure, so of course that would mean tesla would fail, too. It’s implied that he thinks autonomy will be solved at some point in the future, and the profits will solely be shared by the companies that can deliver.
Bingo.

Context matters. It's entirely likely that in 10 years driving will be as important a life skill as driving with a stick shift is today. Manual drive vehicles will be for people in rural areas or for sport.

Car companies that only address that manual driving segment are going to starve.

I know someone who tested EV batteries among all the brands. Here's the results.
They could not tear down or remove the battery to measure things on the 2014 Model S because it was only rented.
It's quite the data, all those cars but only basic Tesla data. Our own DOE (Energy).

Just sent a message to a member I’ve been in contact with over the past month or so that I wouldn’t give up my self imposed posting ban, but you all are being ridiculous.

He goes into much more detail about this and why it’s specifically true to EV makers.

Sheesh.
Probably what he meant but fsd is a software issue and Tesla/other car companies build hardware. At worst you buy the stack from that unicorn company who solved it first and give up margins. Building hardware and making it profitable is not exactly easy and this is worth more than zero.

Reactions: BornToFly
Probably what he meant but fsd is a software issue and Tesla/other car companies build hardware. At worst you buy the stack from that unicorn company who solved it first and give up margins. Building hardware and making it profitable is not exactly easy and this is worth more than zero.
And the software will eat most of the profit in the long run. And tesla builds autonomy software.

It’s by no means an original thought, but I now think of tesla as mostly a robotics and distributed energy company. Robotics requires both hardware AND software. And auto robotics was Elon’s point in the interview. In the long run, can’t have one without the other.

And the software will eat most of the profit in the long run. And tesla builds autonomy software.

It’s by no means an original thought, but I now think of tesla as mostly a robotics and distributed energy company. Robotics requires both hardware AND software. And auto robotics was Elon’s point in the interview. In the long run, can’t have one without the other.
Not really, software are just higher margins but not many can build the hardware and survive as Elon puts it pretty clearly for the car business. That's like saying Intel and AMD are about to go out of once Windows come out...

So far Tesla specializes in building hardware using the least amount of expense at the fastest rate(10hr per car).

Not really, software are just higher margins but not many can build the hardware and survive as Elon puts it pretty clearly for the car business. That's like saying Intel and AMD are about to go out of once Windows come out...

So far Tesla specializes in building hardware using the least amount of expense at the fastest rate(10hr per car).
I’m talking longer term future, which Elon is, as well. Tesla manufacturing efficiency is giving a huge competitive boost. It’s incredibly important to consider in the near term, because it lets them spend the money to bring the future to them faster than their competitors can.

When asked about how much tesla was spending on autonomy at AI day #1, Elon said (from memory) “it’s basically our entire cost structure.”

Rephrased for clarity: "Tesla with solved FSD, an operational robotaxi network, a humanoid robot business which replaces much of human labor, and has solved for artificial general intelligence will be worth at least 100x the automotive business. This makes the EV business a rounding error in the valuation. If we solve FSD, we will have solved the hardest remaining problem to becoming the largest company in the history of humanity."

Exactly. Put another way, autonomous driving is the future of transportation, and any car company who isn't doing it will eventually fade away.

Dark and Stormy is either biased in his anti-Tesla slant or he doesn't understand the context of the statement.

I’m talking longer term future, which Elon is, as well. Tesla manufacturing efficiency is giving a huge competitive boost. It’s incredibly important to consider in the near term, because it lets them spend the money to bring the future to them faster than their competitors can.

When asked about how much tesla was spending on autonomy at AI day #1, Elon said (from memory) “it’s basically our entire cost structure.”
Yes, even long term Tesla's hardware division is not zero and I argue is worth at least 1T even if they don't solve autonomy and use a 3rd party's because that 3rd party will not be building cars since they are too busy printing cash from their ride hailing app.

No it makes no sense whatsoever. Everything farming related is about utilizing sunlight . It is an inherent conflict with solar panels.
I disagreed because the principle behind solar deployment at farms is, to give plants the amount of sunlight they need, but no more.

Excess sunlight just causes the plant to becomes stressed and to use more water, beyond the amount of sunlight it needs, the plant derives no additional benefit from more sunlight.

Our style of farming is different to how plants would naturally grow in nature where they would often have more shade, We compensate for that by using more water.

For the solar itself there is plenty of land to play with, the farmer needs to deploy the amount of solar that will benefit the plants and reduce water usage, but no more. There are plenty of sheds and vacant ground that can be used.

I think it works well for grapes because they often lose their leaves in winter and don't need sun in winter.

Solar for a crop like Wheat or Sunflowers is a different challenge, it may not work for those crop types.

With livestock, small clumps of solar can provide animals with valuable shade in summer, To some extent this can mimic tree cover that may have existed in the wild. But having some actual trees is also useful.

Some farms have patches of rocky ground or swampy ground where nothing will grow, solar can be deployed in those areas.

The next logical step is electric farm tractors, the farmer can power some of the farm equipment with their own solar,

In a world of nearly free labour and energy, a trillion dollar valuation is just a rounding error

1655248899315.png

Francois is the developer of Keras, one of the most popular deep learning frameworks (on top of TensorFlow).

So I just got FSD beta and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed. I do think the problems I experienced can be solved - but I believe at least some of these problems have been around a while in some shape or form. I'd really be curious to know why they haven't been fixed yet. My comments after a handful of short test drives in the city.
  1. Steering needs to chill out. I had multiple instances where the car decided it needed to change direction NOW. Not smooth or confidence inspiring. Lightly holding the wheel it nearly caused me to lose grip it started spinning so fast once. You definitely get knocked around a bit.
  2. Lane choices and choice of position on road are weird at best: Normally you expect the car to pull into the bike lane when making a right turn. In traffic if it doesn't pull into the bike line, you want to take over to avoid impeding traffic. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, see #1. Had an instance where it chose the left of two turn lanes when an immediate right 100 meters down the road needed to be taken. At other times, it's cut left-corners at too high a speed in a residential neighborhood without lane markings - most people slow down and take the corner wider to avoid possible oncoming traffic.
  3. Accelerator - There needs to be some better choices made in terms of how closely to follow speed limits - on residential roads, it should reduce max speed and accelerate more gently. It seems to be a bit too cautious coming to a stop at stop signs, then very slow to resume moving. When it decides to go, though - hang on tight!
The visualization effects that come with FSD beta are phenomenal - this style of graphics definitely needs to be included in standard builds. If nothing else, it's a FSD marketing tool.

Honestly, I feel like just adding some damping on directional changes (steering, acceleration and braking) would go a long ways towards giving passengers more confidence on what the car is doing or going to do. As it is now, it is highly unpredictable and it does not induce trust that the car is going to do the right thing.

So having "tried Tesla FSD" - I am highly skeptical it will be ready in a year given the pace of progress. Most of these issues have been around a while based on experiences with EAP and early FSD beta feedback. Maybe Tesla has opted to focus on other areas of the stack and decided that these are minor issues to be resolved later. Hard to say, really, but I can honestly say that now having finally tried Tesla FSD I believe Chollet's timeframe more than Elon's...

OK a little OT, so feel free to delete-but still-electricity related so not so bad. Was just seeing on the evening news that electricity prices are up something like 34% YoY. Anyone know why? Did a little searching-"rising oil and gas prices". Not buying it given how little of our electricity is generated by oil, and natural gas is, to the best of my knowledge, all domestically produced, so can't blame Putin. With the rise of solar, by rights it should be going down, not up. Anyone seen any good explanations?