Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In one of the conference calls Elon mentioned something about having adaptors at the stations. Not sure how this would work. My guess is the simplest solution would be to add the second CCS cable to the US stations like in the EU. Tesla did this fairly quickly when they launched the model 3 in the EU with CCS.
only V2 have 2 connectors, all V3 are CCS only, maybe they didn't want to have extra connection or extra cable for very high amps, not saying imposable, but Tesla didn't for V3.

So on the whole, trying FSD myself has given me a perspective on the reports from this forum, and I think on the whole youse guys are too sanguine.

To be clear, I'm not claiming FSD is ready for level 5 deployment, I'm saying the improvements from last year are substantial and very real.

I think there are plenty of rough edges that may or may not be difficult to improve, but I think most people would be blown away with what it can already do. It's mind-blowing really. I'm especially impressed with FSD's ability to drive at night, without lane markings and other complications. I think much of the wide variation in perspectives about how capable FSD is (or isn't) is due to the set speed. Those who set a speed equal to or lower than the speed limit will have much better results than those who set it for 5 or 10 mph over. A lot of this comes down to expectations. FSD is still very much a beginning driver and expecting it to drive considerably faster than the speed limit at this point sets it up for failure.

In time, FSD will be more capable of driving faster but it's important to realize the desire to go faster is mostly impatience as you don't actually arrive to your destination much sooner. Setting the speed exactly to the speed limit has practically eliminated phantom braking for me. It will still have occasional pauses of uncertainty where it might slow down 2 or 3 mph, but I'm not seeing any hard braking for no apparent reason.

Can't say this thread has been much different now from how it has been the last five years - there's always off-topic ramblings, life-and-death arguments about everything, sometimes $TSLA related, bickering, occasional insults. Not sure why everyone's all het up

I don't post much, maybe that helped a bit 😂

TBH I also wish the moderation was a little less draconian, I'm quite capable of skimming past the detritus... but as long as @The Accountant is around, I'll be here too (❤️ you, dude!)

Please delete my account when @The Accountant asks for his account to be deleted, thank you.

only V2 have 2 connectors, all V3 are CCS only, maybe they didn't want to have extra connection or extra cable for very high amps, not saying imposable, but Tesla didn't for V3.
V3s rolled out (early 2019) after Tesla confirmed switching EU Model 3 cars to CCS standard chargeports (late 2018). Y is CCS also there, S&X can use an adapter. So there was no pressing reason to produce dual standard Superchargers.
Warning: link may switch your region:
Supercharging

On the general thread tone, I'd actually PREFER the thread to be a bit more negative. Not because I'm negative about TSLA, I'm super-bullish, but because I want to be exposed to actual serious critique and spot potential problems or weaknesses, so I can re-check my own valuation of the company.
Nobody benefits from insular groups where different opinions are hounded out. Thats totally true of TSLAQ but also true of Tesla bulls. A smart investor knows the strengths, AND weaknesses of their investment. We should be able to read critiques of the company with an open mind.

I'm not talking FUD nonsense about panel gaps and emerald mines, but talking about stuff where tesla may genuinely be perceived to be at a disadvantage. Hell, it might even be useful if we all crowdsourced the TRUE list of Tesla's weaknesses. No company is infallible.
If I had to list my own perception of weakness for the company:
  • Very difficult to get a customer service response here in the UK.
  • Surprisingly limited range of colors for each vehicle, esp for the high-end models.
  • Quite sparse, even cheap-feeling interior for the high-end models compared to other brands.
  • Autopilot, outside of the FSD beta, feels overpriced, and way over-promised.
  • Roadster, Semi and CT seem to be constantly delayed. Certainly perceived by the public as vaporware.
Like I say, I'm a Tesla bull with non-trivial stock holdings, and very optimistic. But yup, I'd like those areas to improve.

In one of the conference calls Elon mentioned something about having adaptors at the stations. Not sure how this would work. My guess is the simplest solution would be to add the second CCS cable to the US stations like in the EU. Tesla did this fairly quickly when they launched the model 3 in the EU with CCS.
I don't think they added a second cable in the EU. Tesla vehicles there are already mandated to have CCS.

Also, if there is a second cable, there would be no need for an adapter.

On the general thread tone, I'd actually PREFER the thread to be a bit more negative. Not because I'm negative about TSLA, I'm super-bullish, but because I want to be exposed to actual serious critique and spot potential problems or weaknesses, so I can re-check my own valuation of the company.
Nobody benefits from insular groups where different opinions are hounded out. Thats totally true of TSLAQ but also true of Tesla bulls. A smart investor knows the strengths, AND weaknesses of their investment. We should be able to read critiques of the company with an open mind.
YES YES YES, exactly.

Yesterday many people "disagreed" with me, but none of them even engaged. There is no advancement for me or them under those conditions.

I don't think they added a second cable in the EU. Tesla vehicles there are already mandated to have CCS.

Also, if there is a second cable, there would be no need for an adapter.

They added a second cable to all V2 SC.
That's the easy telltale sign what is V2 and what is V3 here in Germany 😉
Right from the Tesla website below. I did not realize the V3 superchargers were only CCS in EU. I guess still up in the air what they will do in the US for non-Tesla.

Can all Tesla owners use the Supercharger network in Europe?
Yes, the Supercharger network is available to all Tesla owners – regardless of vehicle type or trim. All V2 Superchargers in Europe feature dual-cable posts to accommodate both DC Type 2 and CCS Combo 2 charge-ports. European V3 Superchargers feature single-cable CCS technology, which are directly compatible with all Model 3 vehicles. Model S and Model X vehicles in region can access V3 Superchargers with a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

Mukt
YES YES YES, exactly.

Yesterday many people "disagreed" with me, but none of them even engaged. There is no advancement for me or them under those conditions.

That is false. Many people engaged you and spelled out exactly why your post was insulting and racked up the most disagrees in the shortest time I have seen. You did not watch your own video.

Europe dictated CCS for public fast charging. So not a choice really, they added CCS cables to the existing ones and have only CCS on the later stations (and sell adaptors for the S+X that don´t have the CCS plug, 3 and Y never had anything but CCS in Europe).

On the one hand, I would think Tesla would go the same way in the US to have as little differences in cars between regions, on the other hand there would be way more super charger stations to retrofit in the US now than in Europe in 2019.

Did we really lose jbcarioca? Can someone try to contact him in private?
This is awful news. I've been away for 36 hours and we lose one of our most valuable contributors? WTH. I really hope this is not permanent. His experience and perspective were unique, detailed and definitely enriched our discourse. A shame.

Right from the Tesla website below. I did not realize the V3 superchargers were only CCS in EU. I guess still up in the air what they will do in the US for non-Tesla.

Can all Tesla owners use the Supercharger network in Europe?
Yes, the Supercharger network is available to all Tesla owners – regardless of vehicle type or trim. All V2 Superchargers in Europe feature dual-cable posts to accommodate both DC Type 2 and CCS Combo 2 charge-ports. European V3 Superchargers feature single-cable CCS technology, which are directly compatible with all Model 3 vehicles. Model S and Model X vehicles in region can access V3 Superchargers with a CCS Combo 2 adapter.
What they don't state is that with the CCS adapter, Model S&X Ravens max-out on 150kWh

I did see a photo of a new MX in Germany with a CCS port - similar design to the M3

TBH, if they were to leave MS&X on Type 2 with limited charging speed I would likely cancel my MXP order, or delay it until it's adapted, as increased charging speed is one of the things I want

Anyway, we don't get deliveries in EU yet of these cars, so we will see in due time, I'm not expecting my MXP for another year yet

I'm not talking FUD nonsense about panel gaps and emerald mines, but talking about stuff where tesla may genuinely be perceived to be at a disadvantage. Hell, it might even be useful if we all crowdsourced the TRUE list of Tesla's weaknesses. No company is infallible.
If I had to list my own perception of weakness for the company:
  • Surprisingly limited range of colors for each vehicle, esp for the high-end models.
  • Quite sparse, even cheap-feeling interior for the high-end models compared to other brands.
  • Roadster, Semi and CT seem to be constantly delayed. Certainly perceived by the public as vaporware.
Like I say, I'm a Tesla bull with non-trivial stock holdings, and very optimistic. But yup, I'd like those areas to improve.
I really don't think this is an echo chamber. Negative views of Tesla portrayed by the media are shared here often and then debunked with facts.

Call me a fanboi if you will, but that doesn't change the fact that Tesla is killing it:
- unlimited demand at current production levels;
- best margins and profitability in the industry;
- most efficient spending, including on "extra's" such as AI, FSD, Energy etc;
- no debt;
- nice cash reserves.

I wouldn't want my money anywhere else.

To adress your list of perceived weakness:

Service has room for improvement, but I see no evidence Tesla is not taking the criticisms seriously. They are trying to ramp service and building out the mobile service fleet, which is the most comfortable solution for most customers. TL;DR: improving each quarter and I see no impossible hurdles to overcome the coming quarters/years. You do raise a good point with this, but this has been discussed and Tesla is not ignoring the issue. So little can be said at this point IMO. Service could be a long term killer for the company, IF Tesla were to ignore it. But I don't see evidence they are ignoring it.
Demand cannot be met at current production levels, so this point is moot. Yes, you would prefer to have any colour you want, but that won't increase Tesla's production ramp or financials. On the contrary, it would be counterproductive to ramp/financials and the mission. So this is a first world problem.
See previous point on demand. Yes, it would be even better if there were more/better interior options but apparently there are plenty of people paying whatever price Tesla asks (ever increasing) for the current models. Moot point at this point in time.
Don't want it, don't buy it. Economics 101.
Other OEMs experience no delays on their new models whatsoever. /s

These products will come and they will rock. They will outperform the sports cars, semi's and trucks offered by the 'competition'. Patience.

Also, watch the Elon interview with the Silicon valley owners club. He explains in great detail why Tesla has to prioritize just building the current models from the current factories instead of doing all other things on Tesla's bucket list (software imrovements, new models, etc). Tesla is not out of ideas of stuff to do, but they need the newly built factories to scale first in order not to become unprofitable again. As an investor I'm very grateful Elon has his priorities straight and doesn't lose focus. (And no, Twitter is not a distraction. Tesla is doing great considering the circumstances (Covid, Russia, inflation and the supply chain issues that followed))

Don't get me wrong: I'm just as enthusiastic about the future of Tesla as you. A future in which Tesla offers more colours, interiors, software options and models. But for now those are all distractions and even detrimental to the main mission AND the business. Money talks. It will allow Tesla to add colours, service etc. And on the money/demand front (one ensures the other) Tesla is fortunately in a good and ever improving position.

I guess I belong in the superbull thread, not this one :cool:.