Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An Uma Upper?
_0617edf4-5fb2-11e7-89bd-50891d422d4c.jpg

Kill Shorty

Last edited:
Uh, looks like under performance compared to several other related tickers like Rivn, Lcid, Nio - even Nkla is doing better. đź’©

Eyebrows are unimpressed. 🥱
I suspect the big buyers are waiting until the details of the Twitter deal come out before they buy back in. But yeah, those other folks with their massive losses and negative margins definitely deserve to be climbing much faster...

UK Tesla competition/market:

I get regular dealer deal emails. Apart from the I-Pace & Zoe, I see this as strong EV demand/lower premium ICE demand - which should translate to more Tesla demand as well.

Few electrics on the latest email, over a third of list are ICE Audis. Peugeot/Kia/Hyundai/Mercedes have discounted ICE entries but no discounted EVs. Toyotas used to be very rare on this list (only a few per year), but more common now. Aygo & Yaris used to be big sellers as small & reliable.

Jaguar I-pace 8% discount - no other Jags in list.

Renault Zoe with 14% discount - middle of 2 other ICE Renaults with 12.5-15% discounts.

VW Group:
One EV - Audi Etron - discounted by 5% when other Audis are up to 16.5% - most are 12% or higher.

One EV - Cupra Born at 3% lower than ICE Cupra discounts.

I'm not surprised by I-Pace, I really don't like it, but that may be personal opinion blinding me. I am surprised by Zoe as it's a reasonable, small car (which is good for UK).
1666707239565.png

1666706667961.png

Tesla making huge profits directly contributes to the speed of transition to sustainable energy and broader environmental sustainability. Suppose that in a few years Tesla reaches the $5T market cap Elon was mentioning on the call last week, thereby becoming by far the #1 company by market cap of all time.

Wouldn't that radically change the conversation globally around sustainable energy?​
Wouldn't it prove, once and for all, to policymakers and to the general populace that continued investments in oil & gas are a waste of money and time and that transitioning to renewables is actually going to boost economic productivity instead of crashing us back into the dark ages to satisfy naive idealistic hippies, communists and treehuggers who don't know how to read a balance sheet and cash flow statement?​
Wouldn't it give people hope not to give up on the future of the planet?​
Wouldn't it send a clear signal with bright flashing lights to mining companies and governments that it's time to majorly accelerate extraction of key minerals and that at least one customer is going to be able and willing to pay for any raw material they can possibly supply?​
Wouldn't it send a signal to all other companies and entrepreneurs that this is actually a better way of running a business and send ripple effects throughout all of global commerce as people start to attempt to copy Tesla's practices in the hope of achieving a similar degree of success?​
Wouldn't it give Tesla staggering amounts of capital to work on solving other giant environmental crises like pollution, topsoil erosion, invasive species, collapsing biodiversity, trash and microplastics in the oceans? Tesla Motors started with a plan to make a simple retrofit of a Lotus Elise to show the car companies that cool, high-performance EVs could be made with Li-ion batteries. Then the plan expanded into making the Model S. Then it expanded again into making a whole lineup of cars. Then they acquired Solar City to get into solar. Then they added a stationary storage business and trucking and autonomous driving. Then cell manufacturing, mining and refining to accelerate battery supply growth. Then another side quest into artificial general intelligence.​
Given this track record and company ethos, do we really believe Tesla is just going to solve the energy portion of the environmental problem, cut prices, return all capital to shareholders and stop there? I mean, are they just going to pat themselves on the back like "Welp, mission accomplished! Good job, team! Our work here is done." while the biosphere is falling apart? I don't think so, and the reality is that we will need a gigantic treasure chest filled with trillions upon trillions of dollars to pay for accomplishing all this in the required timeframe instead of waiting for our governments to get the job done while the planet burns.​

Money makes the world go around, for better or for worse. In the case of Tesla, for the better. Tesla's profitability and market cap being as high as possible is extremely important to everyone's future, whether they're invested in TSLA or not.
I agree with all of that.
Tesla is my main hope for disrupting the oil&gas industry, as it works on multiple fronts: personal transportation (soon ridesharing), residential/utility-level energy storage, very soon freight, soon-ish home heating. It works at the hardware level and the software level.
Unfortunately, the conversation isn't about any of this because:
1. Elon
2. Media
3. Fossil propaganda

Change the order as you like, but this are the top 3 factors. Elon is against gigantic foes - communication-wise - and he's been losing this particular war. Almost nobody outside here sees Tesla for what it really is - a titanic effort to accelerate a sustainable economy - but talk all the time about Elon's tweets and various shenanigans. Apparently, he doesn't really care to shift the conversation to the main topic (maybe he thinks this is a lost battle, who knows).
And before piling up with the disagrees, please consider how much Elon's pushing Tesla tweets and communication and how much he uses Twitter for personal reasons: there's no match. All Tesla environmental discourse is lost in the noise.

I really hope this will change in the near future, with Tesla Energy ramping up and showing it's potential, and Tesla Semi. But I won't hold my breath.

Only time I wanted a dip there is no dip /s ... seems ticker surfers did not detect any rampant selling today ... 3 more days ...
... wanted to add more mid term calls today ;)
It's funny, we generally want the stock to always go up. That makes us the happiest. But there's a point on the way down, a tipping point, where we actually start wanting it to go down further. Greed has it's strange ways.

It's funny, we generally want the stock to always go up. That makes us the happiest. But there's a point on the way down, a tipping point, where we actually start wanting it to go down further. Greed has it's strange ways.

Hey!! I always want it to go up ;) (/s was for satire ;) )
.... But was prepared to take advantage of any monkey business if it occurred. MM knows Elon's poker hand, and we know MM poker hand ;)
(+ added a bit of mid-term calls, the faster it gets to 300, the better for me ...)
(++ 10/28 TWTR overhang and 11/2 FOMC in horizon .... )