Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pointed out to a friend who read too much into this that he said the same to SpaceX employees not so long ago.
Yup, last November.

“We [SpaceX] face genuine risk of bankruptcy if we cannot achieve a Starship flight rate of at least once every two weeks next year [2022]”

Substantiates China demand pocket concerns. The good thing is that Tesla does have the ability to pivot like this.
I'm still not convinced that there is a China demand problem. There was never an infinite number of China orders each month, there must be rough mean average. So, with all the recent upgrades they have done at Shanghai, it may simply be a case that they finally have EXCESS manufacturing capabilities, above the mean average China orders, so they have more flexibility to send cars elsewhere. That, coupled with growing production from Giga Berlin to fill the European market, now allows them to direct cars to other markets, IMHO.

Lol, jesus. All I was saying was that this would make sense if Tesla was facing some short-term demand problems in China -- a situation that we, frankly, don't know whether to be true or not at this point in time. I shouldn't have to be pilloried for a relatively benign statement.

Anyways, Elon refuted the story, which makes China demand concerns less likely, imho. I'm ready to move on.
No, that’s cool. The more people who continue to recite demand problems, the richer I get so I’m all for it.

It just doesn’t seem to matter how many times Tesla goes on record with - Demand is NOT our issue - people still want to believe what the media and WS are serving.

Imma just sit over here in this corner quite certain there is no demand issue and accumulate me some more demand shares.

I'm still not convinced that there is a China demand problem. There was never an infinite number of China orders each month, there must be rough mean average. So, with all the recent upgrades they have done at Shanghai, it may simply be a case that they finally have EXCESS manufacturing capabilities, above the mean average China orders, so they have more flexibility to send cars elsewhere. That, coupled with growing production from Giga Berlin to fill the European market, now allows them to direct cars to other markets, IMHO.
Too late. You can’t take your demand share back. I won’t have it.

Ok so lets say Elon does. Why would anyone use/need another online payments platform?

It sounds like you doubt that is Elon's plan. In my opinion, it's 100% certified and guaranteed. That's what he's doing, and only new insight of a monumental nature could change that.

Why would anyone use or want another online payment platform? What kind of question is that? Clearly, you are not thinking clearly. Have you never used PayPal? Are you unaware that credit cards pretty much make everything cost 2-3% more? I'm not speaking of interest expense if you don't pay off your balance each month, I mean everything online and in stores is marked up 2-3% to cover the fees from MC, Visa, et al. I cringe when it turns out PayPal is my best payment option (due to the high fees).

All of this makes the payment system a HUGE part of our economy, very inefficient, like a huge tax on all of us. Yes, credit cards and PayPal, et. al. make it easy to pay, but at a huge cost. Almost as bad, a credit card or a PayPal account cannot replace your need for multiple other financial institutions. What if there existed a low-cost on-line bank that integrated all the functions from borrowing money to buy a car or a house, making payments, earning interest, exchanging funds between individuals, buying groceries, paying rent, holding crypto, etc. etc. etc. that was reliable, trusted, intuitive and made a profit by skimming but a small fraction of what legacy credit card companies, mortgage companies, etc. take from every transaction?

In short, VISA and MC and a bunch of other multi-billion-dollar companies would be disrupted. And good riddance! The financial sector consumes ~10% of our GDP which economists say is like a big tax on us all (ideally, the financial sector should be closer to 2-3% of the overall economy because it's inherently unproductive from a primary perspective). Elon wants to spend about 2% of our GDP to make life interplanetary. If he can shrink the financial sector by even that little bit, then he can take the profits that would have gone to financial types and re-appropriate it to make life interplanetary (or whatever other good causes are on his plate), all without being the slightest burden on anyone (except for the displaced finance billionaires).

Lower transaction costs. Sounds like a win for humanity. Any questions?

Trading in my sleep. Just the usual coffee run business.
No analytics here, I just pickem' from the gut. It's SOOOOooo tempting not to do this x10.

1668184377434.png

A very US centric view. Europe‘s financial industry is a lot more modern. You can basically wire money from any EU bank account to any other EU bank account. In the worst case this takes a couple of days max, in the best case the payment arrives in real time.
In Belgium everybody stopped accepting checks as a form of payment 2 decades ago.
Electronic payment via chip cards is available everywhere. For situations where a bank terminal is too expensive (because of the rental price of the terminal) QR code payments are used more and more. There’s nothing to disrupt in the EU anymore. Elon can only create a me-too payment system like Paypal.
Yep. I'm 54 and i've seen checks only as a child when my father used them.

The profit difference is close to the price difference of the car. So BYD's manufacturing cost is not that far away from Tesla as I have stated before.

If Tesla wants to keep the higher profit they must increase feature set that has high margins or reduce cost further if they were to drop prices.
QZ in that article calculated “profit per vehicle” by dividing BYD’s entire net income by the total number of cars delivered.

This included hybrids and ICEVs, plus forklifts, busses and BYD’s non-automotive business segments.

As far as I’m aware we don’t have enough information to know BYD’s average cost for BEV passenger vehicles. I’m pretty sure we don’t even know if BYD make BEVs with positive gross profit.

However we do know that BYD, like everyone else, lacks gigacastings, octovalve+heat pump+advanced thermal management integration, and other cost-saving technology that only Tesla has.

Tesla is going to focus on profit maximization. If that means pushing Chinese production to the US or China, they will. Only way this makes sense is if Tesla is planning on flooding the US markets with cars to take advantage of the higher prices the IRA enables. That would result in a big surge in Tesla market share in the US.

I'm not saying they are, just that I think everything is on the table. It would seem weird to me though that they would export to the US when Model Y production is just starting to ramp properly and they have so many closer markets which are underserved at the moment. Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, etc etc. They also have already established channels pushing cars into Europe.

Just doesn't make too much sense, plus obviously Musk is denying it.