Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some hard evidence for why TSLA has diverged from SPX and rest of the market since August: we're getting the sugar shorted out of us like 10 years ago. In the below screenshot (from here), as of 8/31/2022, shorted shares increased over 300%, from ~20.1 million to ~60.8 million and have continued to increase. (The latest 11/15 period is missing, but it's probably more than 10/31's 76.8 million).

TSLA_short_interest.jpg

Big institutions are shorting TSLA incredibly hard again and are only increasing those short positions, so buckle up, folks.

Haha, you're a few decades too late. Haven't had a drink this millenium, and I'm younger now because of it. ;)

Cheers to your Good Health!
That's awesome. I can only speak as of last decade - I want to see what happens next. But tough times can be a trigger for many, hang in there folks.

Meanwhile, I still own the same 2 unopened bottles of Teslaquila. I have a plan for each, but this is literally nuts. Maybe someone should take them off my hands. /s. No really. /s Well, it's really no different from an art collection. /s

For sure was an investment mixed in with an addiction for all things Tesla and rare. I don't surf but I sure wanted a T surfboard. Flamethrower was lame IMO. There, bottles were justified. /s

Cheers!

That's awesome. I can only speak as of last decade - I want to see what happens next. But tough times can be a trigger for many, hang in there folks.

Meanwhile, I still own the same 2 unopened bottles of Teslaquila. I have a plan for each, but this is literally nuts. Maybe someone should take them off my hands. /s. No really. /s Well, it's really no different from an art collection. /s

For sure was an investment mixed in with an addiction for all things Tesla and rare. I don't surf but I sure wanted a T surfboard. Flamethrower was lame IMO. There, bottles were justified. /s

Cheers!
I bought 1 to keep and one to drink on special occasions when TSLA did something big. It's been untouched for a long time.

My flamethrower is not lame though Sir. It's awesome and I use it to light bonfires etc. quite often!

Here's some hard evidence for why TSLA has diverged from SPX and rest of the market since August: we're getting the sugar shorted out of us like 10 years ago. In the below screenshot (from here), as of 8/31/2022, shorted shares increased over 300%, from ~20.1 million to ~60.8 million and have continued to increase. (The latest 11/15 period is missing, but it's probably more than 10/31's 76.8 million).

View attachment 876832

Big institutions are shorting TSLA incredibly hard again and are only increasing those short positions, so buckle up, folks.

Uh... you realize there was a 3:1 share split exactly during the time of your dates showing ~20 mil shares short changing to ~60 mil....right?

We're heading into month 3 of Q4 and wait times now less than a month for both 3 & Y and Troy Teslike predicts a gap of about 80K between Production in China vs. Deliveries. How is everyone dealing with this and the free fall of TSLA?

Well, if they drop prices a little in the US (keep in mind that tax situation allows price changes come 2023 aka in 5 weeks or so) I'm ready to buy a car. If they drop drastically due to multiple factors, well then I'll buy two.

Either way I expect production to climb and for them to sell every car they make. Long term I have no fear.

Until you add in another 5% of buyers that changed their mind opposite and bought. (because of something Elon said)

This is why such an argument is meaningless if a trend cannot be shown using data.

It is a (limited) thought experiment which includes one variable and leaves out others that may affect the balance. If you are going to form an opinion based upon presumption, then take the time to presume more possibilities. Only then will it become clear how such ideas cannot be supported at a larger scale.

That 5% does not exist. Republicans who were inclined to own EVs were already buying Teslas. No one was waiting for Elon to own the libs before buying an EV

View attachment 876832

Gee, exactly three times the amount of short selling.

It's almost like there was a 3:1 split between 8/15 and 8/31.... 🤔

EDIT: Dangit @Knightshade !!!! 🤬

View attachment 876832

where are the gamestop, AMC retailers @ ;) :)
there has to be some tipping point right? after which hunters become the hunted :)

Reactions: ShareLofty
Here's some more info even from the World Economic Forum:

Further, @Drax7, the energy transition is getting a boost from all of this going on and people moving on to newer technologies, but they're certainly not proven nor are they scalable ASAP (sans solar) over multi-quarter and multi-year basis to show adoption is robust.
They are using IEA projections.

That is the equalivent of using Gordon Johnson's Tesla valuation.

Watch a Tony Seba presentation to see how IEA projections have been consistently wrong, year after year.

There is nothing special about electricity or heat that means it can only be provided by Fossil Fuels.

Any manufactured product, chemical reaction or energy storage mechanism is scalable, in the long run. At present being cheaper than gas is a relatively low bar.

So the war in Ukraine will have the long term effect of accelerating the transition to clean energy and transport.

View attachment 876832

Oddly, this may actually be good news. Does the term over-leveraged come to mind?

Once the first few of those greedy bastiges capitulates and takes their profit it should be the start of an epic game of musical shares.

We all know what happens then, right?

Edit: unless the chart isn't split adjusted

Haha, you're a few decades too late. Haven't had a drink this millenium, and I'm younger now because of it. ;)

Cheers to your Good Health!
Okay, he can send the bottle to me and I’ll drink it on your behalf. Have you looked around!? I need to age faster so that I take my last breath the very moment the world finishes imploding.

We're heading into month 3 of Q4 and wait times now less than a month for both 3 & Y and Troy Teslike predicts a gap of about 80K between Production in China vs. Deliveries. How is everyone dealing with this and the free fall of TSLA?

I'm a long investor but honestly this make me nervous. Not to mention Elon and his antics. I suspect if this continues and we miss on Q4 numbers to around 40% deliveries growth instead of the expected 50% growth, I could see TSLA dropping to low $100... Keep in mind, the SP was right around $900 before it split(just 3 months ago) and look how much its fallen?

Yeah… Even in Europe you can get any Tesla you want before the end of the year.
As long as it’s a plaid Model S, plaid Model X, or performance Model Y.

Chinese production for Europe is sold out for this year.

It might be a mistake but we are bailing on our plans for a 155 buy. I posted a month or so ago we would be at 155 in the December timeframe. But I think (speculating) that the bottom will be closer to 70 or 80 bucks in first quarter. We’ll probably regret cancelling the 155 buy but we’ll wait to jump in till the new year. I think until Twitter shows signs of turning around it will be a boat anchor around the neck of Tesla. Yes I know Twitter has nothing to do with Tesla…but it does. Unless the board can find a way to disconnect Elon from Tesla the stock will disconnect from fundamentals and be subject to the whims, tweets and politics of Elon.

Jmho.