Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am somewhat worried of bad press with FSD. I have had my worst experiences with FSD on the latest version and was hoping they would do the wide on V11. First time for me that it accelerated into a stationary vehicule and that I had to stop (at 56cm). it was also going to run a red light (very clear light and was doing it well with previous versions). Hopefully it’s anecdotal.
Yah. It’s definitely smoother and more human like. It still fails the same 3 intersections it always has but it fails in a more smooth and assertive way. Less needless lane changes though and I think less needless signalling. Right hand turns at intersections are too fast now so I have to disengage on those but that’s an easy fix I would think. Overall two steps forward one step back so progress.

Yes, well, when I last had FSD beta in my previous Model X, I would turn it on saying “ok car, how are you going to try to kill me today?” It was a fun game. And please, no moralizing responses about how I’m gambling with peoples lives. I very much pay attention when it is on.
Ok then, way to anthropomorphize the car. 😉

So if (as was posted nearby above) Wednesday‘s pop was due to a delta option squeeze, I wonder if Tesla’s decision to release FSD Beta to everyone was related. Releasing it the day before Thanksgiving was an odd choice. Normally, you’d release big roll outs a) in batches and b) on a Monday or something to have maximum number of workers on hand should something bad happen.

So I do wonder if Elon saw the short sellers piling on and said **** it, let’s burn them.

Anyways, I got my FSD Beta yesterday!

I think releasing it right before Thanksgiving was brilliant. It gives people TONS to talk about that isn't Elon's tweets.

Wife's family is huge . . . like repopulate the planet huge . . . I expect to be giving rides all day.

I think releasing it right before Thanksgiving was brilliant. It gives people TONS to talk about that isn't Elon's tweets.

Wife's family is huge . . . like repopulate the planet huge . . . I expect to be giving rides all day.
I'm much more interested to see what V11 brings......so hoping it actually goes out to Chuck and other high profile beta testers at some point today.

Last edited:
If Porsche Taycan serves as an example, it is obvious that there is a very healthy market for a non-Tesla very expensive car. There are several others introduction now and more coming soon from Ferrari, Maserati, plus the Rimac brands. The only question is whether there is a profitable niche for Lucid. The jury is out, but early indications are not seeming good for Lucid, Fisker and their ilk, any more than they were for Delorean, Bricklin or the others back to Kaiser and Frazer. Their common traits were good publicity, absence of technological superiority and, in every case, unexceptional engineering talent applied to manufacturing. Kaiser, if anyone, should have been able to achieve success but they were imitators, not innovators.

Every time we see a "Tesla competitor" just examine their engineering talent applied to production. Then look at the efficiency of their designs. In that context, look at the teardown of such successes as the Ford F150 electric, Chevrolet Bolt or any other such example.

Until someone shows serious manufacturing excellence and design efficiency we will not have convincing competition...except for the stratospherically expensive ones.

Lucid, Rivian, GM, Ford all cannot become profitable for BEV's until and unless they learn to design and build for efficiency and manufacturing.

I suggest there conceivably could be an exception among those that use suppliers such as Magna, which has developed EV specific platforms. Maybe, just maybe, they could help break the pattern of failure among their customers which make BEV models.
中国
Zhōngguó

Elon has a habit of being lucky with his early strategies. Often he decides to invest time and resources into something that later turns out to be very important, often his strategies to get to market turns out to actually work and bring margins every step of the way to finance the higher profits in the future. This is hard to replicate and should be fully understood. Imo the competition has not done the lessons from this and thus their future lack of success is likely. If you fail to learn from your past mistakes you will not win in the long run... And it's not easy to fix this, specially in an old organization with high inertia. It takes someone with a big hammer, like we see Elon swinging at Twitter right now. Diess tried to do it, but his hammer was not big enough and he probably was not as brutal as Elon can be. And probably his task was a lot harder. I think if Elon didn't own Tesla and had purchased VW he might have had a tiny chance. Without being the owner of the company it will be very hard to start swinging that hammer without getting kicked out...

TLDR: Rip legacy, wp Rivian, everyone else take notes!
I agree with you if when you say, "Elon has a habit of being lucky with his early strategies", you mean that Elon is a visionary. Because I do believe in superior vision, but I don't believe in luck. Superior vision is the ability to parse reality (current information) accurately enough to have a good idea of how it will progress over time.

People with superior vision understand the underlying reasons why things are the way they are. In short, they see the world more completely and more accurately than most people. The reason most people fail miserably at this is because they make assumptions and then draw conclusions from things they think are obvious truths but are actually not. This happens on many levels of thought. A person with vision knows what they don't know (which is most things) and avoids trying to come to conclusions based on those things they don't know. They are also very quick to pivot if they discover new facts are not fitting well with previous conclusions. The more common tendency for most people is to misinterpret the new information such that it fits with previous misconceptions (or discount the new information entirely as not being real). A person with superior vision not only avoids making unwarranted assumptions, but they also see more and process more. They are able to process and derive information from things on a massive level that others discount as meaningless and too complex to process in a coherent manner. This is the source of innovation and of all geniuses.

Many people are logical and can parse simple information correctly and draw valid conclusions. But it is the rare person that can apply this sort of thinking on the level of complexity that encompasses all of human perception and thought. Much of it is done on an unconscious level and is better thought of as a "way of being" or even "a way of seeing", rather than a conscious intellectual pursuit. It's what I think of as "vision" and, while uncertainties and probabilities are it's underpinning, it has nothing to do with luck. I believe Elon has alluded to these concepts, and admits he is not perfect at it, the goal is to be better at it, or "less wrong" as he has put it.

It takes a strong person to do this because the truth is often scary, hurtful or ugly. It's easier to neatly compartmentalize things into nice, neat packages that fit an individual's preferred worldview.

Yes, FSD beta is now truly widely-available w/o a safety score. I submitted my request to join the beta program back during the Summer, and FSD beta just became available for me tonight. I downloaded and installed the v10.69.3.1 then immediately spent 5 hours driving it.

So now I have a few questions about the controls and settings for FSD beta, and some initial comments about its manner and style. Could some kind soul please provide a link to the best TMC forum for this type of discussion? TIA. 👐

Cheers to the Longs!

See above, it is the current 10.69 thread.
There are general discussion threads, but I have found the best and most content from other Tmc members on the new threads regarding the most current release.
That thread is pretty active and has the lovers and haters and everything in between.
Look for the V11 thread once we get it. The conversation will stop in the 10.69 thread and move there.

Happy Turkey Day 🦃.
Yes, FSD beta in all our Teslas and it seems equal in the S,3 and X. Big Gratitude to Tesla and Elon, Thanks much.
Still need to pay attention of course but intervention is very very rare now. And at night it is so much safer than a human driving IMO.
Think we'll drive the X today.
I am posting today as I just saw that Ford is recalling over 600000 SUVs for Fire hazard. How are they going to compete with Tesla?
Who in their right mind would buy an ICE or hybrid vehicle that needs gas/oil? Loyalty Perhaps?
It amazes me how people trade on news; I learned decades ago that I don't do that which brings me to twitter which is fun and even has the world cup and real Tesla news. OMG Elon is right. As Biden would say; Elon, you did it and that is a BIG DEAL.🤟
One other note is that I just got approved and opened a Fidelity Crypto account and bought some ETH and BTC; they don't have other vehicles like DOGE yet. Life is great. Gotta go workout as my Fenix tells me to move.

Probably just a result of the stock split.

I think you’re right. Shares owned increased by 199.99%, but the value of the shares only increased by 18.16%.

And 18.16% is exactly the percentage difference between the June 30 price at 265.25 and the September 30 price at 224.47.

265.25/224.46 = 1.1816

90,000 shares is a joke for a billionaire anyway.

Something that I've recently come to understand (again thanks to @The Accountant) F/GM make most of their money from loans! Almost nothing from making cars.

Do you know who also has very low P/Es historically? Banks!

Citigroup: 6.61
JPMorgan Chase: 11.5
WellsFargo: 12.3

I think the market places such low P/Es on F and GM not just because they have little to no growth, but because they are basically just banks that happen to make cars for basically no profit!
Just imagine the revenue possible if Tesla started providing the financing too. Obviously doesn't apply to TMCers who purchase their Teslas with cash, but still... and especially with CyberTruck and the smaller more affordable model coming out. It boggles the mind.

Might not fit into the mission, but it could make Teslas more attractive to the general public.

Last edited:
the-only-indicator-i-need-my-mom-v0-v6deosoknr1a1.jpg