Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...it is real and not just limited to $TSLA!!!!

View attachment 880296

patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

About the weight discussion for semis.

I spent a couple of years in my youth planning logistics for shipping materials in containers and semis to hard to reach places, like Antarctic and Siberia.

The best utilization was always to combine stuff like concrete with insulation. Too much heavy stuff wasted volume, too much fluffy stuff meant not utilizing the full weight potential. Especially when the next potential transport was six months later.

Took a lot of work to get it right but in the end the paper work for shipping to places like those took 10 times as long.

Your regular one day drive won't be nearly as important to maximize every load but if Pepsi can ship drinks and Layo chips in the same long distance shipments they probably will.

No! I can't afford to keep mine until we get back up a ways. ;)

It will be curious to see how much Pepsi is really a part of this. Will they just be there with some signs and quick speech to take the "keys" from Elon at the end or will it really be partly a Pepsi event? I'm thinking the former. A Cybertruck wrapped in Pepsi logos might be cool but as Soul mentioned maybe they want a truly heavy load.

Why not a trailer full of pepsi and showing the Semi charging while it's being unloaded? Lots of press for Pepsi, showing the weight limit of the Semi, and showing people how the charging times are intended to be handled. Edit. It takes around 30 minutes so maybe pre-recorded or could be done in the background while Elon talks.
My Walter Mitty scenario while I was on the elliptical this morning:

While the Semi/Pepsi show goes on, there is a video (always showing) in the upper right corner of any viewers screen; this video is the 500 mile nonstop test, sped up 60 times with a miles counter and battery SOC icon showing the progress of that nonstop test…

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

First:
  1. How much would this lower the price?
  2. How much would this lower the cost?
Next:

3. How many more vehicles would be sold (net) as a result?​
The answer to 3 may be zero if we are still production constrained. However, if the margin based on #2>>#1 and >= than that for a Dual Drive, than this might make sense to do anyway.
Had buyers remorse almost immediately after purchasing my RWD Model S75 .... compared to S75D , 0-60 time higher, resale $ lower, winter handling worse, tire wear skewed , one benefit was reduced noise since no front motor... price delta at the time was $5K so it mattered a lot to me since it was by far the most expensive car i ever purchased ...yet it was a mistake

I could see fleets going for RWD since you have the fleet multiplier so for example using the recent the CALTRANs order for 399 Model 3 assuming $5K more for AWD ...savings of ~$2Million (real taxpayer money)