Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cost reductions are independent of demand...
That statement ignores scale economies, in particular fixed cost absorption with factory utilization. Other things remain equal high capacity utilization reduces per vehicle costs more than most other factories. Tesla’s production technologies (e.g. GigaPress, robot use) tend to be low cost at maximum production levels, high cost at lower levels. Thus Tesla has high incentive to stimulate demand to keep consistent high utilization rates.

Many recent commentators here and elsewhere fail to understand how cost efficient Tesla is due to high factory utilization and very, very inexpensive distribution. Unlike most others, short term tactics to maintain consistently high efficiency are quite productive. Competitors normally have such tactics executed through dealers, which increases costs, delays implementation and invariably makes very short term tactics impossible.

Who's John Galt?
Google Ayn Rand, the Russian born author who popularized ‘objectivism’ which acts as philosophical justification for libertarians. John Galt was the hero of ‘Atlas Shrugged

This is fundamental to understanding current political views of many TMC members.

Change org petition. It’s in a spoiler thing because I feel like somehow that’s the preferred way on this forum? I dunno.
Is there a way to find out who at the IRS worked on and approved these rules for SUVs to have a certain number of rows, capacity or height? I think they’d be more likely to respond if thousands of people emailed them rather than signed a petition.

Rental car company Hertz is shifting into high gear on the road to electric vehicles (EVs). Already, it has seen a 12% increase in yearly profits as the globe-spanning rental car company accelerates its transition to EVs and lower costs.

The revenue figure is in part explained by corporate demand for rentals provided by Hertz rising to 70% of pre-pandemic levels. But another key contributor was Hertz’ discovery that EVs are between 50-60% cheaper to maintain than gasoline-powered cars

I'm betting other rental companies will be crunching these numbers. It will be like Semi - companies that see high mileage and actually value lower operating costs will have no choice.

I looked at the article and it seemed to imply that this "50-60% cheaper" was in the Q3 call. There is no direct quote from the Hertz CEO about it. I then looked at the Q3 2022 Hertz call transcript and can find no reference to it.

Is there some other source to back up this article's claims?

I looked at the article and it seemed to imply that this "50-60% cheaper" was in the Q3 call. There is no direct quote from the Hertz CEO about it. I then looked at the Q3 2022 Hertz call transcript and can find no reference to it.

Is there some other source to back up this article's claims?

In a call on Monday while reporting financial results, the Hertz executive team revealed that the cost of maintaining its newer Tesla EV fleet is 50-60 per cent below their ICE fleet.

Source article was dated August 5. Must have been Q2 call.

Angles will still fail, stock Y has 11.1 approach, 9.8 departure, unknown breakover. Needs two of: 28, 20, 14.
To hit departure (38.7 overhang, but angle is from tire radius), it needs to more like double the ground clearance.
Weird, have been doing some comparison between a Dodge Durango and a Model Y (for another reason altogether) and on the Dodge site, while they don't list an EPA classification for the Durango they do show the Model Y RWD classified as a Small SUV 2WD. I realize this means nothing, but it is interesting. Surely one would think a Durango would be classified as a Small SUV as well.

Hopefully Treasury will have the sense and capability to make the IRA's goal to encourage the purchase of BEV's, all BEV's regardless of classification or price, achievable. Makes no sense for a BEV with an MSRP of $79,999 to get a $7,500 tax credit (stupid in itself) while another with an MSRP of $80,001 doesn't.

JMHO

Is there a way to find out who at the IRS worked on and approved these rules for SUVs to have a certain number of rows, capacity or height? I think they’d be more likely to respond if thousands of people emailed them rather than signed a petition.

Not sure how to identify those people, but chatGPT has got us covered on the email body:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to express my concern about the EV tax credit bill that is currently in place in the United States of America. I believe that this bill is fundamentally unfair and targets Tesla, a leading manufacturer of electric vehicles, in a way that is not justified.

One of the main issues with this bill is the inclusion of the so-called "lease bypass rule," which allows anyone to receive the tax credit on any EV via customer leases. This is particularly problematic for Tesla, as the company does not have a leasing arm and therefore cannot take advantage of this rule in the same way that other manufacturers can. This effectively disadvantages Tesla and gives an unfair advantage to other companies.

Furthermore, the bill allows a number of hybrid vehicles to receive a $7,500 EV tax rebate, even though this is supposedly an EV tax credit bill. These hybrid vehicles - including the Audi Q5 TFSI e Quattro PHEV, BMW X5 xDrive45e, Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe, and Jeep Wrangler - have an effective MPG ranging from 20 to 61, significantly lower than the Tesla Model Y, which has an effective MPG of 127. It seems unfair to allow these vehicles to receive a tax credit while the Tesla Model Y, which has a much higher efficiency, receives nothing.

In conclusion, I urge you to consider the unfairness of this bill and the negative impact it could have transitioning our country toward a sustainable and cleaner future.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Last edited:
Is there a usual time tomorrow for the numbers?
P&D release dates and times from previous quarters.
Prepared by Troy:
1672621956717.png

Tesla makes a **lot** of profit on the Model Y. They had to put the price up to slow down orders. If they drop the price by $10K so that it satisfies that arbitrary $55,000 cap... and then buyers get $7,500 from the government on top of that (!!!) then sure, Tesla will make a lot less profit, but it will KILL the other manufacturers - who can't drop their prices, and were the ones who campaigned for all the silly exclusions and exceptions.

Tesla makes a **lot** of profit on the Model Y. They had to put the price up to slow down orders. If they drop the price by $10K so that it satisfies that arbitrary $55,000 cap... and then buyers get $7,500 from the government on top of that (!!!) then sure, Tesla will make a lot less profit, but it will KILL the other manufacturers - who can't drop their prices, and were the ones who campaigned for all the silly exclusions and exceptions.
First of $10k isn't enough. It would have to be at least $11k, but then any option would disqualify it. So they would have to drop the price by ~$16k to allow for options.

Maybe they should make all options free and keep the price at $55k. (While removing options that could be done later, like wheels and tow hitch.)

I don’t know. Standard range would be the best option. Standard range AWD at 55k (and get incentive) and long range priced as is. If u want the best, gotta pay to play. SR AWD is plenty quick. And we don’t really know the capabilities of 4680. Maybe the accel boost unlock is ridiculous w 4680. Maybe there could be accel boost and range boost for 3k option, that can be purchased OTA.

Potentially it could be like:

SR 4680 AWD $55k. W $2k/3k range upgrade options.

LR Y dual motor for 62k.

LR Y dual motor w 3seater 68k w 7500 incentive.

I consider an only one line rebuttal from you must be close enough to being correct. 1000 words and five sources I might have bothered to check it :D

Well, rough napkin math would have a doubling of EV demand annually for the next 10 years putting 2033 annual demand in excess of the entire population of earth if it helps any... that penny doubling thing really catches up after a while.