Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. The IRA is a hugely pro-Tesla bill. Tesla will rake in many billions from all its provisions.

While the current administration is very pro-union and therefore somewhat anti-Tesla, the IRA was written to be climate friendly, job friendly, and consumer friendly.

I don't ascribe anti-Tesla malice toward the treasury department for its (rather odd) ruling on Model Y qualification for the tax credit. The Ford Mustang Mach E fares much worse as Ford can't afford to lower prices.

While as an investor, it would be nice if Tesla could capture more of the $7500 through higher prices, this is great for the consumer. Now more people can afford to buy the best EV. And Tesla will happily ramp up production to meet the demand. This is the sort of thing one would hope you could get from a bill like the IRA. It's good for consumers, good for jobs, and good for the planet.

lol wut? The most popular Tesla would not have qualified had Tesla not cut prices. The IRA was very anti Tesla before the price cuts.
A big part, really the biggest part is to drive prices of EVs down so more people can afford and manufacturers produce even more. Just so happens Tesla is furthest along. In 2022 Tesla had a huge factory that produced what 50K cars. That same factory will build what between 300-500K cars. That will likely be more than the rest of the competition combined and then you add in the 500K cars from Fremont.

Is Tesla sharing the manufacturer EV tax credit with Panasonic at Giga Nevada? I wonder how that will work out.
I know you are gonna ask for a source and I will update post when I find it.
Tesla negotiated that they get all incentives in their agreement.
If memory serves, the IRA wasn't passed when they did this.
Forward thinking...

Edit: Searched for the source, no details yet. I know Rob Maurer posted a screenshot of the contract details showing that Tesla negotiated to keep any incentives should any become available in the future. I haven't found his source yet, will check his episodes around that time frame.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as someone pointed out earlier, the only strategy remaining to the not-competition is to tear down Tesla via their advertising-paid co-conspirators.

Haha, not quite the only strategy remaining for shortzes. They've still got Missy in dey back pocket over at NHTSA. Remember, Tesla is transitioning to a software/subscription model for it's high margin products. So they'll likely try to fuggle with that if this price drop turns Tesla into Walmart and Ford into K-Mart.

No matter! Big bird is gonna fix U.S. Polly-tricks... :p

Cheers to the Longs!

The IRA cannot last in it’s current form for more than a couple years. It is founded on assumptions that what GM and Ford are capable of is representative of the EV market. Just back of the napkin, the IRA will likely be gifting $2b to Tesla buyers and Tesla indirectly this year alone (Half via the consumer credit and half via manufacturing credits). Next year it’ll be more like $3-5b. It only gets crazier from there.

It might not even survive the year.

So suddenly, my big question this morning is do I order a Model Y today? If the answer is yes, I have to decide which of these (under $55K) options:

1. Blue on white interior
2. Red on black interior

I will abide by the results of this poll (kidding, I don't care what you guys think...unless one of you happens to be my wife reading this).
Here is an objective, unbiased, fair and balanced video to help you make your decision:

What's everyone's take on battery supply and pricing? Nice to assume the price reductions drive demand and that manufacturing capacity and component supply is up to speed to match that. But without bats, we're going nowhere. I take this as a sign Tesla feels like they have "cracked" any concerns about battery supply. Does this mean that they have gotten a hand on 4680 issues and are ready to spit them out at scale? Or that other suppliers are lined up?

The IRA cannot last in it’s current form for more than a couple years. It is founded on assumptions that what GM and Ford are capable of is representative of the EV market. Just back of the napkin, the IRA will likely be gifting $2b to Tesla buyers and Tesla indirectly this year alone (Half via the consumer credit and half via manufacturing credits). Next year it’ll be more like $3-5b. It only gets crazier from there.

It might not even survive the year.
Yep, whatever CBO projected the cost of the bill is (over 10 years?) We are going to blow through that next year.

The newer factories are more efficient and, presumably, deliver higher margins once ramped than older factories (since Tesla improves with each iteration rather than using cookie cutter designs).

As the ratio of vehicles produced in newer factories to those older factories increases so too will margins increase.

Any comparison between quarters should consider this even if it’s not possible to back out exact ratios.

Joe is just a really awesome Deepfake Elon created.

I think this Joe character is some bot trained on a learning function to optimize difficulty in telling if he's serious or trolling.

Today on a Space he claimed to Omar / WholeMarsBlog that Omar's no-disengagement FSDbeta videos were affecting Tesla's engineering decisions by giving them overconfidence in what their small simple set of cameras could do.

Omar was flummoxed, couldn't tell if Joe was serious or not.

He's a treasure.

Article is paywalled, but worth reading the screenshot.

[Deutsche Bank analysis]

I recently posted a bunch of analyst reactions to the P&D report. Deutsche Bank was the only analyst that "got it" and made any sense. You can bet the other analysts are busy cutting price targets right now.

Ford actually has three:

View attachment 895421

Not to mention Volvo has three:

View attachment 895422

So maybe you need to do some more research.

And just because Toyota, and others, don't have anything listed now, doesn't mean they don't have vehicles that qualify.
I am thinking Toyota may not have PHEV listed as I believe they are built mainly in Japan. Hybrids are definitely made in the US but I think they have PHEV concentrated in Japan.

• Informative
Reactions: transpondster
W-what's this? hell frozen over? CNBC is going to discuss (quote) "the falling stocks of legacy automakers in the light of yesterday's major announcement by Tesla" - gulp!!! Coming up some time in the next hour.
Man, WS and MSM took all day to figure out what this thread did by 2 am.

I agree that the prices for the 3 after the tax rebate/credit are pretty damn compelling. However what about those folks that won't owe any taxes? My best friend is retired and normally doesn't owe any FIT (I know as I do his taxes). If the $7,500 were treated as a discount off the price of the car, he'd buy an SR3 in a heartbeat! But not the way it currently works.

The IRA would put way more butts in BEV's if the purchaser had the option of how they received the discount.

Could the $7500 be applied to capital gains tax on a sale of stock or to taxes owed when converting an IRA to a ROTH IRA?

Last edited: