Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had to guess, Chinese production was down, Europe and US up. Also I think they went all out on Q4 to hit their target, whereas this quarter seemed business as usual. Now that Berlin is 5K+ the numbers will start to ramp quickly.

Tesla needs to drop S+X price 10K+ more in the US to get line utilization higher.
In the US the prices aren't so bad, but in EU, they didn't drop at all, at least no here in Belgium - €161k for a decently specced MXPlaid, that's way too expensive, needs to drop below €140k IMO

Yeah, I'm hoping for 2M+ production this year as much as anyone, but I won't be disappointed if it's 1.8-1.9M.
Just annualizing Q1 production get us to within 40k of 1.8M . Based on days of production, only 13k short. Tesla definitely has the capacity.

Has tesla ever delivered a record quarter during Q1?
Q1 2021 was also (could be more pre 2019, but much lower volumes then)

Has tesla ever delivered a record quarter during Q1?
They've done a lot better than this quarter!

1680454705419.png

They've done a lot better than this quarter!

View attachment 924184
This chart is wrong for Q12022. Should be 305K Production, 310K deliveries. I did not look at the other quarters but noticed this was way off.

@jkirkwood001

Per Rob Maurer on twitter, you can use these numbers to update your table with the correct historical deliveries numbers:

Tesla historical Q1 deliveries:

2023: 422,875
2022: 310,048
2021: 184,877
2020: 88,296
2019: 63,019
2018: 29,980
2017: 25,051
2016: 14,820
2015: 10,045
2014: 6,457
2013: 4,900

Already being framed as a bit of a miss. CNBC article (bolding is mine):

According to a mean of estimates, compiled by FactSet as of Friday, Wall Street was expecting Tesla to report deliveries around 432,000 vehicles for the quarter. Estimates included in the FactSet analysis ranged from 410,000 to 451,000 deliveries expected.

The independent researcher who publishes under the handle TroyTeslike was expecting deliveries of 427,000 and production totaling 445,920 vehicles.

Can't say I am not disappointed deliveries weren't closer to 430K. Nothing in long term, but not sure this will pop the stock...at least until folks realize it is against the backdrop of a crap market in China, etc.
How frustrating must the media be for folks executing so impressively at Tesla...never good enough, always a "miss" per MM. Can't imagine why Elon ever tweeted "funding secured". 🙄

In the US the prices aren't so bad, but in EU, they didn't drop at all, at least no here in Belgium - €161k for a decently specced MXPlaid, that's way too expensive, needs to drop below €140k IMO
Indeed, I would like to buy a new Model S, but there’s too much difference with the US price. Waiting for a price reduction.

Zero clue how they have that bad of logistics for the quarter regarding S/X. That excuse doesn’t really hold weight. Why would there be 9k in transit when those S/X should have been shipped out at the beginning of the quarter. I can understand 2-3k in transit. But 9k in transit when you’re entire production for the quarter is 19k is just bad logistics planning.
Tesla is taking their sweet time with deliveries as op margin is now key to the company. They don't care breaking their backs on delivering a few extra cars.

No, I am not buying that. There is a ton of inventory S/X cars in the US.
Having said that, S/X is less than 2% of the revenues for the company. At this point, if they ditch them, they may be better off...
Even at that rate, S/X pays for all R&D or SG&A possibly both.
Even ignoring the halo effect It's stupid to drop that..