Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't worth discussing anymore. The only thing we learned is that FSD needs to be able to recognize 'stop sign ahead' signs. Easy fix.

Ross Gerber was a fool for falling for this. He went to O'Dowd's home town and let him pick the route, so he took him straight to an intersection he already knew was a problem. Now Gerber will be the star of the upcoming Dan O'Dowd press tour and ad campaign, and he deserves all of it. This 'FSD Test' offered huge potential downside and no potential upside, but he did it anyway because he loves the limelight.

I have to agree, Ross was played hard by Dan on this one. That intersection was cherry picked by Dan for a reason, it was not coincidence.

There is not enough funds for this. Leaking tanks are just the tip of the iceberg. In Alberta, Canada alone there are >170,000 abandoned oil/gas wells, 7,000 of which are owned by insolvent oil/gas companies. The Province estimates a cost of up to $260B (Canadian) to clean up.
Good business opportunities

Pre market looking mewwh.

This ass looking not so mewwh. Apparently Norwegians have a sense of humor 😎 seen nearby CPH airport yesterday.

IMG_2493.jpeg

The only thing we learned is that FSD needs to be able to recognize 'stop sign ahead' signs. Easy fix.
Not sure it is an easy fix. What we learned is that a sign that says “Stop sign ahead” really might mean disengage FSD to the FSD beta tester. Ross probably knows this now as well as many others. We learned a limit of FSD which is good.

There's shenanigans going on at the brokers surrounding TSLA margin requirements. I'm at IB and the margin requirement for TSLA is 40%, while for RIVN and LCID it's 30%. This suggests Rivian and Lucid are safer, more solid companies than Tesla..

That's not the 'shenanigans' (it just means they rate the one as more volatile than the others). The real shee-shee happens when they raise margin requirements, say from 40% to 60%, with little or no notice, during a bear-raid. That's when brokers harvest margin-vulnerable longs, esp. those exposed with near-term expiry Options contracts.

Pro tip: if you are exposed long and your broker jacks your margin requirements, consider buying deep out-of-the-money puts to regain the margin headroom. Not advice. ;)

I was going to predict what would happen to the stock today. But I forgot to post here before the open, so no-one will believe me!!! 🤣 ('ve been right for the first 5min lol)
After climbing back up to & touching Friday's closing price, it will begin to fall again and end up down 3%. There.

Meanwhile... so much drool over the Cybertruck prototype videos from Los Angeles yesterday. Progress looking very good so far. Biggest question is still the solar tonneau cover. Showcased during the reveal and on "Jay Leno's Garage." Is it still going to have a solar tonneau? Either standard or as an option? That's what I'd be asking Franz.

I was going to predict what would happen to the stock today. But I forgot to post here before the open, so no-one will believe me

Also forgot the JPMoargas 'rerating' (that's a new thing for WallE, where they raise their SP Tgt from $220 to $250, but call that a 'downgrade' in the Note to Clients). L.O.L.

Coincidently (I'm quite sure), SP opened within 7 cents of their new PT, and the intraday low ATM is exactly that SP Tgt. L.O.l.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-06-26.09-45.png

Cheers to the LOngs!

There's shenanigans going on at the brokers surrounding TSLA margin requirements. I'm at IB and the margin requirement for TSLA is 40%, while for RIVN and LCID it's 30%. This suggests Rivian and Lucid are safer, more solid companies than Tesla..
Oh, kind of like the shenanigans of two resent downgrades. 🙄

I heard it on good authority; it’s just a computer bug.

Someone did the route again. Car recognize sign too late and brake hard stopping in the middle of intersection. Even the city knows a human would not react fast enough just from seeing the stop sign, hence added 2 additional warnings. Fsdb either need to add this to the map data or start reading other markings like "stop" painted on the ground.

They just need to train it to recognize the yellow warning sign indicating a stop is coming up. It was clear as day and, I'm pretty sure, not that unique of a situation.

Me thinks this will end up as a gimmick and not a lot of actual usage, something like the moon roof, but with the added complexity of grime and dirt making it a very high maintenance item, that will essentially lose favor from consumers.
I don't give many disagrees but I can't see this. People will use the tonneau cover just about every time they load or unload. I also don't know why you would assume it will be a maintenance issue. I'll give the Tesla team the benefit of the doubt until it's proven to be an issue. I wouldn't be "all in" if I thought they couldn't handle the challenge of an automatic tonneau cover.

I don't give many disagrees but I can't see this. People will use the tonneau cover just about every time they load or unload. I also don't know why you would assume it will be a maintenance issue. I'll give the Tesla team the benefit of the doubt until it's proven to be an issue. I wouldn't be "all in" if I thought they couldn't handle the challenge of an automatic tonneau cover.
I’m optimistic too but falcon wing doors have been pretty finicky in my experience (obviously FWD more complex so there’s that).

I tend to agree.

While I suspect there will be segment of the population that will seldom use it, such as the folks who primarily use it as a family hauler and don't use it as a work/cargo vehicle), there will be a corresponding segment that uses it a lot.

I just got back from spending a good chink of the last couple of weeks on a job, and we had tools in back of the truck and were used the tonneau cover a lot to keep weather out, and to lock it up overnight.

That having been said, I hope the speed on it is fast enough to not be an inconvenience. We were constantly flipping a segment or two of the cover up to quickly grab a tool than flip it closed again to keep the rain out. Took a few seconds. If it takes 30-45 seconds each time that will be annoying....

They just need to train it to recognize the yellow warning sign indicating a stop is coming up. It was clear as day and, I'm pretty sure, not that unique of a situation.

Given it's been over 3 years since FSD began recognizing and responding to stop signs, and it still does not recognize 'stop sign coming up soon' ones, I'm not sure your use of "just" reflects the difficulty involved. Likewise about 3 years for reading speed limits, but still does not read condition ones (ie ones with time or date restrictions).

There are something like 100ish different federally standardized traffic control and warning signs, to my knowledge FSD does not recognize any of them other than STOP, SPEED LIMIT (but not restricted) and YIELD (and it's been hit and miss on reacting properly to those honestly with it sometimes treating it like a stop even without oncoming traffic and other times not slowing down for it at all- neither being correct reaction to a yield sign).

And another quick reminder this forum exists where this discussion really belongs: