Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VERY interesting. Does anybody have a good guess for when the proper production line for the Semi is expected to go live? Tesla seemed to pretend it didnt exist on the Q2 call.

This is pretty much anybody's guess. Tesla is still trying to fix the issues with the first test batch with Pepsi. Tesla must have planned this Semi charging station for a long time and had to go through with the installation despite the Semi setback. The existence of this charging station isn't an indication that the Semi is going to be ready anytime soon, only that Tesla had planned for it to be so.

. FYI they decided to not discontinue the Bolt EV/EUV after all. (has saved their ass on BEV sales numbers) Not explicitly clear if it will get NACS.

News I'm seeing isn't quite what you're saying--

This suggests they intend to do an Ultium-based next-gen bolt.... at some unannounced future date... NOT that they reversed the decision to kill off the current- gen one this year.

As a long-term investor, I wonder why anyone plays the stock market short.
If the house can manipulate the price based on the bets then why do you play the game?
That's an easy one - at least for entities with market maker status. They have the ability to manipulate the share price down by creating new shares not issued by the company. They do NOT have the ability to artificially remove shares from the market - the issued shares are the issued shares, they just get moved around as people buy them. The market mechanism is there to drive share prices down, in a manner that they control; there is not a mechanism to drive the share price up.

Supply and demand relationship takes care of things from there - constantly increasing supply, absent any other factors, will drive down price in order to match the supply with demand.

With a bit of help from regulators, captive media, you too can manipulate the share price in companies of your choosing. Find a company with some value and a dependence on debt and/or equity sales and start manufacturing shares. When the share price drops low enough the company will lose functional access to either form of financing and thus leave them no effective alternative except bankruptcy.

Of course as entities that hold short positions, when the company goes bankrupt, you got to sell for X, and then never need to pay to close. Most of the time you buy to close at a lower price. It's how a company gets short interest up to 140%. This link points to a time when the short sellers got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Think about that - for every 1 share that the company had sold to the market, the short sellers had provided another 1.4 shares.

Think of how that would work with USD if the US Government issued $10T worth of USD, and the counterfeiters had come up with an extra $14T to slosh around in the world.

Its still so profitable that (opinion) the problem with the Gamestop debacle to the industry wasn't the loss they took at the time - its that they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, with a spotlight and cameras rolling. Sort of how profitable it would be if one could issue new USD at a dramatically faster pace than the US Government can do it.

EDIT to add: they key here is market maker status. The original observation about people doing what the industry describes as short selling - I have no problem with that. Regular short selling that you and I can do doesn't involve the manufacturing of any new shares. Rather we borrow the shares that we sell, so the net # of shares in the market remains unchanged.

Last edited:
News I'm seeing isn't quite what you're saying--

This suggests they intend to do an Ultium-based next-gen bolt.... at some unannounced future date... NOT that they reversed the decision to kill off the current- gen one this year.
Fair point, who really knows what they're doing. This was my reference. Non-revolutionary upgrade... no Ultium.

Barra on CNBC. FYI they decided to not discontinue the Bolt EV/EUV after all. (has saved their ass on BEV sales numbers) Not explicitly clear if it will get NACS.
I just got this weirdly-formatted email from GM about not discontinuing the Bolt:

Thank you for being a Chevrolet Bolt owner. We appreciate you entrusted us with adopting the EV lifestyle and have heard your overwhelming response to its importance.​
Chevy is debuting an expansive EV lineup this year with Blazer EV, Equinox EV and Silverado EV. But we only got here because of Bolt — Chevy’s first long-range,1 affordable EV — and because of loyal customers like you. That’s why we’re excited to make this unprecedented announcement …​
BOLT IS CHARGING AHEAD!
We understand your love for the Bolt, so Chevrolet is bringing the Bolt back. We hope you are as excited as we are, and we will share more information in the future.​
Again, thank you for your continued loyalty. We look forward to an electrifying future together!​

Why I bought a Bolt in 2017 is a story for another day.

But my translation of this is that they are having serious problems ramping the Ultium platform. So they are sticking with the Bolt awhile longer. It's sad to see GM failing so badly.

I don't think an Ultium-based Bolt is in the cards. It would be a complete re-design and they've already invested in the Equinox EV to replace the Bolt.

The Bolt is living a bit longer because they are able to make batteries for it and the Ultium ramp is proving to be treacherous.

"Electric Oasis"

UK - turning derelict fuel garage/station in Manchester into beautiful EV charging Hub with shops. From liability to asset to local people.

Opportunities & Challenges like this will be popping up all over the world. My major reservation is that I can't see much of a business model in the charging itself - only profitable part seems to be the retail/coffee shop aspects.

It's from a company involved in charger servicing (I think), they only really make it clear at the end. One aspect I found interesting is that as a company they have 4 hours to turn up to each fault, important as a philosophy and because many of their customers are "commercial" which I could interpret in more than one way.

Tesla related - fight the FUD by improving local areas, incorporate style/beauty/nature into EV charging station designs.

- edit changed timestamped link
IMO for years the margin on gasoline was razor thin; it was customer’s buying pop, chips, Twinkies and lottery tickets that were the real cash cows.

I don't think an Ultium-based Bolt is in the cards. It would be a complete re-design and they've already invested in the Equinox EV to replace the Bolt.

The Bolt is living a bit longer because they are able to make batteries for it and the Ultium ramp is proving to be treacherous.
Mary disagrees with you, and I think she is likely to have better information than you: GM is making a new Chevy Bolt EV with an Ultium battery

“Our customers love today’s Bolt. It has been delivering record sales and some of the highest customer satisfaction and loyalty scores in the industry,” said Barra. “We will keep the momentum going by delivering a new Bolt…and we will execute it more quickly compared to an all-new program with significantly lower engineering expense and capital investment by updating the vehicle with Ultium and Ultifi technologies.

Fair point, who really knows what they're doing. This was my reference. Non-revolutionary upgrade... no Ultium.

Ah interesting... your link has this:

Your story said:
The new Bolt will get some battery and technology updates from the Ultium platform, but it does not appear that the Bolt will ride on the GM Ultium platform.

Which is confusing to say the least.

Maybe they just mean some BMS updates with lessons learned from Ultium or something?

Ah interesting... your link has this:

Which is confusing to say the least.

Maybe they just mean some BMS updates with lessons learned from Ultium or something?

I listened to the GM conference call.

Leading Mary stated that they updating the Bolt with Ultium technology. It could not be any more clear.

Because it will be a fast tracked development, my best guess is they will keep as much of the current car as they can and design a battery pack and drivetrain using Ultium components.

I listened to the GM conference call.

Leading Mary stated that they updating the Bolt with Ultium technology. It could not be any more clear.

Because it will be a fast tracked development, my best guess is they will keep as much of the current car as they can and design a battery pack and drivetrain using Ultium components.

I mean, seems it could be a LOT more clear.

What, specifically, is "ultium technology"

Because far as I can tell there's a lot more than the specific cells it could apply to.

For example:

According to this one "ultium technology" is simply a reprogrammable BMS.

Which one could have while still using the same old-gen batteries in Bolts today, but it would have "ultium technology" in it

If this is indeed the same V4 that will come to the US it’s a bit disappointing to Cybertruck charging times

And we had some leaks in the past suggesting that it would be 350 kW only, so seems credible

Instead of the sub 20 minutes 10-80% we are looking at more likely 30+ minutes for the 500 miles version, I can plug all that in my calculations later for a more precise number

Won’t be bad bad, but far from leading both in range added per minute and % added per minute

For the towing folks around 20 minutes would be really nice, 200 miles fully loaded 10-80% and sub 20 min charge stops

But it will likely have a quite flat charging curve, likely to hold 350 kW up to 50% or even a bit more on the biggest battery version

They said they made 50K EV for the first half but they did not sell anywhere near 50K.

They did admit they are behind with Ultium. They blamed it on the supplier that set up the automation for battery pack assembly.

Bolt will likely be about 30-40K of the 100K for the second half of the year. Which means they need to go from 2-3K on Ultium to 60-70K for the second half of the year. 3000% increase.....let see.
Something about a robot that was trying to fluff a soft layer of insulation that was hard to grip...

What did I wrote two months ago after watching Munro’s video of the Hummer EV battery?
The battery pack housing is made of steel with thousands of weldings, which is a design suitable for low number of quantities. Also the design didn’t show obvious signs to be optimized for automated production.

Now blame the supplier which sets up the automation for the battery pack assembly?
😂

Mary disagrees with you, and I think she is likely to have better information than you: GM is making a new Chevy Bolt EV with an Ultium battery
Mary did not say the new Bolt will have Ultium platform battery packs. She said it will have Ultium technology, like maybe an updated BMS. There is no way they are going to redesign the Bolt to use Ultium battery packs on an accelerated timeline. If they had Ultium packs to spare, they would put them in the Equinox EV.

She's trying to spin this disaster. It's what Mary does.

Tesla related - growing demand for EVs, Tesla able to supply better than many, only one in high volume across key/major markets.

EV supply problems:
  1. GM Ultium problems
  2. Toyota - redundancies in China, bz3 recalls for doors not locking
  3. Other OEM models aren't cheaper, including Chinese-built cars in Europe
  4. Low volumes all round
  5. Supply chains not prepped or out of kilter due to delays
  6. High-nickel pouch cells rather than cylinders or LFP
  7. Some terrible software
  8. Probably quite a few more.
At some point this will become well known, having an effect on buyers & TSLA