Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know what kind of on-board compute Waymo has?

And what they throw at it for training compute?

There's a 189 page long (so far) thread about Waymo here that might have info for you.... that said, since they're taking an entirely different approach to Tesla (sensor fusion including LIDAR and RADAR, HD maps, etc) I'm not sure the info would be THAT useful in comparing to Tesla

When fsd proves 10 safer than a human, car insurance cost will likely come down.
The car injury lawyers may feel the effect, and that may further reduce car insurance premiums.
Stay positive, something good always happens.
I don’t think insurance companies will do that. They are vultures.

I’ve had my rates raised the last two renewals between 15-25% for both vehicles, twice. So 40%+ increases.

I called to find out what specifically was going on. The explanation I got was that during Covid rates were reduced significantly 🤣😂 because people were not driving as much and now they are just putting rates back. At which point I called bs because the premium on both my vehicles is now significantly higher than when they were purchased new several years ago. I am also driving in the middle of nowhere now. Literally no such thing as a traffic jam on the mountain, or to and from ‘town’ so population density stats blah, blah, blah don’t apply here. *Crickets*

My rates were decreased A BIT during Covid - in the single digit percentages.

I’ve been driving for decades and I’ve never had an accident claim and neither has my spouse. A few cracked windshields and one recovered stolen vehicle requiring a minimum claim to get it back working - didn’t bother having body damaged fixed since it was an older vehicle. My spouse had a few traffic moving violations decades ago, but now for decades nothing and I’ve had one in my whole driving history also decades ago. We are the poster children for paying for insurance for decades and not needing it.

FSD needs to be a requirement for all before insurance company rates significantly reduce and at that point what exactly will be the level of need for car insurance ??

I don’t get credit for having all the driver assists on my Tesla and I won’t hold my breath for getting a lower collision rate on my CT for it never requiring repainting should it get in an accident.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/03/18/electric-vehicle-price-drop/

Deeper source: New-Vehicle Average Transaction Prices Retreat for Second Straight Month, According to Latest Kelley Blue Book Estimates - Cox Automotive Inc.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 7.47.24 AM.png

I’ve had my rates raised the last two renewals between 15-25% for both vehicles, twice. So 40%+ increases.

I called to find out what specifically was going on. The explanation I got was that during Covid rates were reduced significantly 🤣😂 because people were not driving as much and now they are just putting rates back. At which point I called bs because the premium on both my vehicles is now significantly higher than when they were purchased new several years ago. I am also driving in the middle of nowhere now. Literally no such thing as a traffic jam on the mountain, or to and from ‘town’ so population density stats blah, blah, blah don’t apply here. *Crickets*

I’ve been driving for decades and I’ve never had an accident claim and neither has my spouse. A few cracked windshields and one recovered stolen vehicle requiring a minimum claim to get it back working - didn’t bother having body damaged fixed since it was an older vehicle. My spouse had a few traffic moving violations decades ago, but now for decades nothing and I’ve had one in my whole driving history also decades ago. We are the poster children for paying for insurance for decades and not needing it.

FSD needs to be a requirement for all before insurance company rates significantly reduce and at that point what exactly will be the level of need for car insurance ??

I don’t get credit for having all the driver assists on my Tesla and I won’t hold my breath for getting a lower collision rate on my CT for it never requiring repainting should it get in an accident.

Same here with no collision history and a 40% increase in under two years after switching providers. Explained the rise with BS "inflation" excuse. Fished around for another company and the best quote from another provider is (guest what?) 40% less.

They are vultures. Rope you in with a competitive rate, then jack it up every six months, hoping you won't notice and go shopping around.

Robotaxi will be self-insured by the owner operator providing the service, negating any need to raise rates ($/mile to customers) beyond what is necessary to keep costs aligned with growth and maintaining profitability.

This, naturally, results in another entrenched legacy market (insurance) being disrupted by Tesla. Whoda thunk it? 😏

Last edited:
In Q1 tesla was production constraint, that in combination with tesla ads might create
A demand exceeding supply situation, hence a price increase might be justified.
We shall see.
Are you wishing for price inflation after all this? Autos are one of the components in the inflation metrics most closely watched by the Fed.

Car prices need to not go up, for everyone’s sake

Hear ya, same experience.
I will let the invisible hand, competition to drive the price down.

Same here with no collision history and a 40% increase in under two years after switching providers. Explained the rise with BS "inflation" excuse. Fished around for another company and the best quote from another provider is (guest what?) 40% less.

They are vultures. Rope you in with a competitive rate, then jack it up every six months, hoping you won't notice and go shopping around.

Robotaxi will be self-insured by the owner operator providing the service, negating any need to raise rates ($/mile to customers) beyond what is necessary to keep costs aligned with growth and maintaining profitability.

This, naturally, results in another entrenched legacy market (insurance) being disrupted by Tesla. Whoda thunk it? 😏
I made an appointment to see my broker in person. Way harder to lie to me or dispense bs. For starters, I’ll be expressing my desire that the company stop spamming commercials using high dollar athletes and actors to sell their products. Animated talking reptiles and cartoon characters seem to be fairly effective for others. 🙄

I’d rather not have to shop around. I’ve been quite satisfied to this point, so I’ll give them an opportunity to make it right first. They tell me I’m already getting all their discounts. Guess they’ll need to make up a new one because I won’t pay the inflated prices, especially with another vehicle coming on board shortly.

I somewhat appreciate Troy's work, although at times he can be a bit narrow-minded (which likely contributes to his proficiency with numbers).
However, demand dynamics are complex. Slight reductions in price can significantly increase demand. Similarly, selling in February versus December can lead to varying levels of demand. Elon mentioned that factories produce and ramp up a fixed number of cars, yet they must be sold in a market characterized by seasonal fluctuations and other peculiarities. This is why they change price so frequently.

Indeed, they opted to maintain 2 shifts in Berlin rather than 3. The financial implications of running a night shift are substantial, necessitating a significant increase in car sales to justify the investment. Currently, it may not be economically viable. Would this scenario be described as being "limited by demand"? It's a bit harsh, IMHO.

I made an appointment to see my broker in person. Way harder to lie to me or dispense bs. For starters, I’ll be expressing my desire that the company stop spamming commercials using high dollar athletes and actors to sell their products. Animated talking reptiles and cartoon characters seem to be fairly effective for others. 🙄

I’d rather not have to shop around. I’ve been quite satisfied to this point, so I’ll give them an opportunity to make it right first. They tell me I’m already getting all their discounts. Guess they’ll need to make up a new one because I won’t pay the inflated prices, especially with another vehicle coming on board shortly.
I can only imagine how devastated they'll be to lose your business.