Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What other BEV Semis of similar range are being delivered in significant volume today?
Similar range, none that I've heard of, but pretty much everyone who makes a semi has a electric version. I saw that Peterbuilt sold 150 a few days ago. It only goes 150 miles with a full load, but charges with a normal CCS. I'm sure that's likely the standard. Volvo has delivered a few hundred and has an order for over 1,000 with a customer. Thiers looks to be about 250 miles.

There's a ton of people making electric Semis it seems.

Mack, Freighliner and Volvo all have electric offerings. There's even more when you expand to hybrid or fuel cell. But again -- I expect Tesla to jump into their ranks when they actually start producing in volume.

Similar range, none that I've heard of, but pretty much everyone who makes a semi has a electric version. I saw that Peterbuilt sold 150 a few days ago. It only goes 150 miles with a full load, but charges with a normal CCS. I'm sure that's likely the standard. Volvo has delivered a few hundred and has an order for over 1,000 with a customer. Thiers looks to be about 250 miles.

There's a ton of people making electric Semis it seems.

I'm not quite sure I see a 150 deliveries of more as compared to Tesla's <100 , really "volume" such that this holds:

uscbucsfan said:
On the Semi, Tesla definitely had first-mover advantage for a while, but has given it up.

And orders for 1000 don't count.

I'm not quite sure I see a 150 deliveries of more as compared to Tesla's <100 , really "volume" such that this holds:

And orders for 1000 don't count.
Volvo Trucks retained its strong position in the electric truck market with total global deliveries of 1,977 electric trucks during 2023, an increase of 256 percent compared to the previous year. Volvo’s share of the electric heavy-duty segment in Europe increased to 47.2 percent (32.3 percent). It says that this number is Class 7 and above.

They delivered 145k total semis.

edit: It looks like most are delivering.

10,265 medium- and heavy-duty electric trucks were deployed across the U.S. in 2023, according to an analysis by the Environmental Defense Fund, a big increase from 1,948 deployments the previous year.

edit: It's hard to parse this out, they are including garbage trucks and everything (not light duty/consumer trucks). Mack and Volvo seem to be leading the way.

Last edited:
They have done zero innovation since Jobs died. The have missed on AI big time. It does not look like they will run of phones and computers for too long. Big names have started selling their stock too.

There are a lot of companies that missed their golden opportunities in the past. Apple, IMO, is one of them in 10 years.

They have done zero innovation since Jobs died. The have missed on AI big time. It does not look like they will run of phones and computers for too long. Big names have started selling their stock too.

There are a lot of companies that missed their golden opportunities in the past. Apple, IMO, is one of them in 10 years.
The Vision Pro was pretty innovative, but a poor design and they didn't develop aps for it and looks like it could be heading towards failure.

Steve Jobs died in 2011. Meanwhile…..
IMG_0005.png

Mack, Freighliner and Volvo all have electric offerings. There's even more when you expand to hybrid or fuel cell. But again -- I expect Tesla to jump into their ranks when they actually start producing in volume.

Their current offerings are short to medium range and based on diesel chassis. It’s the 300+ mile offerings on designed from the ground up electric platforms that they plan to debut in the 2026 to 2027 that will give the Tesla semi real competition technology wise and cost wise.
It’s obvious the semi is far from a top priority at Tesla. There’s just too much else going on. The semi was revealed before model Y or cybertruck but it would have made no sense to build the semi with a limited cell supply over those vehicles.

Class 8 Electric Semi Trucks:

Daimler eCascadia: "Up to" 230 miles per charge. Up to 270 kW charging with dual ports.
Kenworth T680: Up to 150 mile range, 3 hour recharge.
Volvo VNR: Up to 275 mi range, 250 kW charging.

Probably all of them cost more than the Tesla Semi. Some of this info might be outdated and I'm probably missing some, but no--Tesla has no competition.

Tesla Isn’t The Only Company Offering Electric Class 8 Trucks

Last edited:
Their current offerings are short to medium range and based on diesel chassis. It’s the 300+ mile offerings on designed from the ground up electric platforms that they plan to debut in the 2026 to 2027 that will give the Tesla semi real competition technology wise and cost wise.
It’s obvious the semi is far from a top priority at Tesla. There’s just too much else going on. The semi was revealed before model Y or cybertruck but it would have made no sense to build the semi with a limited cell supply over those vehicles.
They "plan to debut" in 2026-2027. That means it debuts in 2028 or 2029 if at all. And that's just the debut.

Tesla still has a massive lead. Nobody's even close. And Tesla's not been standing still. They've been gathering millions of miles of real-world experience, iterating and refining.

They "plan to debut" in 2026-2027. That means it debuts in 2028 or 2029 if at all. And that's just the debut.

Tesla still has a massive lead. Nobody's even close. And Tesla's not been standing still. They've been gathering millions of miles of real-world experience, iterating and refining.

The Daimler eActros is a 300 mile clean electric design that is supposed to go into production this year. It’s a cab over design for the European market. Daimler owns Freightliner and a U.S. version without the cab over is expected in a couple of years. That’s the plan anyway. Agree it could always slip but so could Tesla semi.

The incumbents make nothing but trucks whereas Tesla has a ton of competing priorities.

Last edited:
The Daimler eActros is a 300 mile clean electric design that is supposed to go into production this year. It’s a cab over design for the European market. Daimler owns Freightliner and a U.S. version without the cab over is expected in a couple of years. That’s the plan anyway. Agree it could always slip but so could Tesla semi.

The incumbents make nothing but trucks whereas Tesla has a ton of competing priorities.
The incumbents have a poor supply chain and lack economies of scale when it comes to electric drivetrains.

I have literally zero concern about competitors in the electric class 8 truck space.

I just got my Cybertruck invite. It starts out "As an early reservation holder...", but I'm not. I made my reservation on 6/23/20, a good seven months after the first reservations.

Anyway, nothing particularly interesting about it. Estimated delivery for the AWD version is June-August, and for the Cyberbeast is October-December. I have no interest in the Foundation package, so I'll be ignoring this.