Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car insurance policies have caps on those items you mentioned. Otherwise the premium would be much higher.
No disagreement, but that is why most large scale product manufacturers use a structured program of self-insured retention, excess liability policies and re-insurers.

If the insurer throws in the policy limits and bails, the insured (and in Tesla case the "deep-pocket" defendant) remains liable for satisfying the shortfall between the policy limits and the award/judgment. There is also the issue of who is responsible for the unlimited obligation of the Duty to Defend.

Um. These are huge buys from Ark today and suggest inside knowledge. I track their buys everyday and never seen something like this. Elon and Cathie are pretty close and this suggests something...

I don't think it suggests inside knowledge, they have said that they think Tesla is undervalued, and they were at the investor presentation.. TSLA is currently on a blow-out sale so they are loading up. If I had that amount of dry powder I would be loading up at those levels too.

Last edited:
Many of us outside Wall Street already knew LIDAR is a waste of time, including other experts who were quoted as far back as 2016 at least. Maybe I knew this because I live next door to Cornell?

FWIW after working at a self-driving company for 3 years, I agree.. Camera is sufficient for self-driving, and LiDAR is overkill in the long term. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't make things much easier. If a company working on camera-only tech. can produce self-driving faster than one that relies on LiDAR, I'll be amazed. It won't be because Cameras are easier, but probably because the other competitors are much slower at adopting new technologies.

Feels like this was a side project of the "self-driving" team -- something where they could get results much quicker!

AI for suspension is a complete marketing gimmick. Like those AI for computing/gaming laptops -_-

Guys let’s be honest or at least open to the idea that the Model Y, generally speaking, if you ask most ppl, does not look good.
I really don't know at this point. I don't think we can really say since it was only shown in shadow on the stage. I didn't think it looked much different than the model 3 at the reveal. The renderings on the Tesla website look ok to me, especially the white, but I"m not sure. It's certainly not like the model S, where for me one look was enough for me to know it's one sweet looking sedan. Model 3 not as much but it has a sporty look that I like from most angles, not all though. The X only looks good to me from certain angles. My wife likes it though. I think the Y might be more like that but I'm not sure.

Yes for all the people saying that the design is timeless, do you really think buyers are going to be ok with the current style unchanged going into 2025 and beyond? It has to change at some point. Soon is a good time.

I am quite disinterested (or frankly incompetent) in visual design and other superficial topics, but I can't help notice that certain automotive designs have withstood time quite well. The original VW Beetle was introduced in the late 1930'ies and over a half dozen decades its design underwent only relatively minor changes. The design of the eponymous car of Ferdinand Porsche has also withstood time quite well, I would say.

In fact, I think traditional car makers like to change their designs frequently because optimizing the ICE has diminishing returns, so instead they hope that older ICEs are deemed obsolete just because their design is different than the latest, (almost) equally performing model.

So to me frequently changing designs not driven by performance improvements is just one more thing that Tesla should do differently than the traditional car makers.

Upon further review, I actually really like the way the Y looks in white....
tesla-model-y-unveiling-white-2-768x550.jpg

That is the color I ordered it in. Think it looks great.

FWIW after working at a self-driving company for 3 years, I agree.. Camera is sufficient for self-driving, and LiDAR is overkill in the long term. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't make things much easier. If a company working on camera-only tech. can produce self-driving faster than one that relies on LiDAR, I'll be amazed. It won't be because Cameras are easier, but probably because the other competitors are much slower at adopting new technologies.

Cameras definitely aren’t “easier”, but the problem of producing accurate 3d info out of stereo cameras is completely trivial vs. pretty much everything else involved. The things LiDAR sidesteps that makes it easier to work with than cameras are the same things you have to solve anyway for everything else involved in actually driving. That’s why LiDAR is very good for producing demos and getting something partially working quickly but doesn’t actually help solve the overall task.

After this quarter I am with Zhelko. Someone needs to step up as COO. Elon should start to release the reigns and start fading to the background more like they did in google and FB.

The way he dismissed the presenter and overruled him. If it is like that in public broadcast, you can extrapolate a bit to see what it is like if we are back in Fremont where he is king of the hill and answer to no one else. Others have noticed the same little nuance.
I forgot about that slight from Elon during the event. I cringed at the time. Definitely a humiliating thing for him to do to the presenter, who seemed quite polished. I'm also quite certain that goes on way too often with Elon, and it's not a good look.

mind posting a brief summary?

I'll do my best with the things I remember:
  • Dave spoke with some analysts, and it's evident that they dislike Elon, they don't understand it. Also, they don't really know much: Tesla is one in 20 companies they follow, so they have expectations that are never met with him.
  • Dave said that Model Y, in person, seems more a Model X than a Model 3. He feared it was too similar to a M3, so he was personally relieved.
  • He would have liked a different rear, but Franz explicitly said that aerodynamics was paramount. We already know this because @KarenRei called it ;-). Jokes aside, for Tesla aerodynamics is really really important, as it dictates range of the car, speed etc. I guess this is why they started with S (then X) and 3 (then Y).
  • He spoke with a bunch of execs, which seemed confident about the future. He also said something about the mistakes that have been made regarding manufacturing, and how is difficult right now for Tesla to get some returns on investments made on previous lines. Unfortunately I don't recall details about this.
  • He also said that basically Jerome functions as a COO right now, and not having a real COO has the hidden updside of making Elon the only person that own all the "Tesla knowledge". There are many different teams and he's the only one that speaks with all of them. This avoids the problem of someone in a top position that goes away and brings with him some important knowledge, maybe to another company with deeper pockets than Tesla.

Maybe we can get Ross or Cathie to pass the idea across? Is it summarised anywhere? Got a link?
Just google "rights offering" or "rights issue". It's a way of raising capital specifically from existing shareholders. If it's non-underwritten, it cuts Wall Street banks out of the loop, though it doesn't guarantee how much money you'll raise.

The trend to EV is here to stay and in any case I saw nothing that shows there is a demand issue right now and I do not believe there will be demand issue in the future. In fact I think they will have hard time making enough cars to meet the demand they have in the future.

Nine months ago Customer Deposits were $942 million. At 3/31/19, Customer Deposits were $768.3 million. That's over an 18% decline despite recently opening the reservation window for SR+s/SRs in early March, and for MYs in mid-March

"Customer deposits primarily consisted of cash payments from customers at the time they place an order or reservation for a vehicle or an energy product and any additional payments up to the point of delivery or the completion of installation, including the fair values of any customer trade-in vehicles that are applicable toward a new vehicle purchase."
In prior filings, Tesla has stated they will not ship cars to foreign jurisdictions until paid in full, including applicable duties, taxes and tariffs.

The decline in deposits may not have been necessarily caused by lower demand, but lower demand should not be ignored as one of several possible explanations.