Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been in the News, but it was only approved by the SEC 7 days ago now. Read the Wikipedia page I linked above to see more References like this one:

EDIT: the Founder of the LTSE is none other than Silicon Valley Entrepreneur Marc Andreessen (co-author of Mosaic, the first widely used Web browser; co-founder of Netscape; and co-founder and general partner of Silicon Valley venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz).
Eric Ries (Founder and CEO) proposed a Long-Term Stock Exchange, among other ideas, in his 2001 book The Lean Startup. After several years of some financial reforms but no one else appearing to champion the concept, he began organizing an LTSE himself in 2015. Marc Andreessen is a co-founder and backer.

LTSE

Remember when Chipotle went bankwupt like a year or two ago cuz people were dropping like flies from their deadly guacamole and dropped to $250. Now it’s $750 and they’re gonna buyout Tesla next year. Why do you think Kimbal left Chipotles board? SpaceX/Chipotle/Tesla all one company soon. Electric Space burritos. Remember this post
Yes! Now we're talking. Deliver burritos to customers in autonomous cars. This is brilliant. Let's think big here people.:D

It's the other way around. And I've not found an answer from a Tesla fan on any of the many BEV websites I frequent.
What changed for Tesla to go from bright outlook, no more debt, no more losses, no more share issues needed, plenty of demand, good margin per car, all guided very recently? What new information has come to them in the last 6 months or so?

This is true, for me at least. The combined Q1 earnings and then the debt raise shook my confidence in Tesla management, given the repeated claims that they were self funding and didn’t require new debt/equity. Then making over the top bearish statements like we will run out of cash in 10 months if we keep burning through like we have been doing - even if unlikely events the comments are very unhelpful for shareholders.

1. They didn't in Q1
2. It's still too early for them to know
3. It's way too early for those saying 70k to know​

After Q1 Tesla talked, again, about unwinding the wave. But Q2 will still be "wavy" in that no ship reached Europe or China until May 8th. Tesla has also trained customers to wait until late in the quarter for the best deals, and on cue the price cuts and promotions have started. So while Q2 may not be as backloaded as Q1, it will still be massively backloaded. Any projections based off April sales are just guesses, and usually biased ones.

The first ship arrived in Europe on February 5th. Model 3 deliveries started ramping on the 7th in the Netherlands, but it took almost a week to see a ramp in Spain and almost two weeks for Norway. The first ship this quarter arrived on the 8th. There was no real ramp in the Netherlands, though yesterday did show an uptick. Spain showed an uptick more or less on schedule, but today marks two weeks without a ramp in Norway (the jump to 240/week in early May didn't last). So it's a slower ramp overall in Europe, but the second ship just arrived today. By this time in Q1 the 4th ship was a few hours from Zeebrugge.

I still expect 20k Model 3s in Europe this quarter, if they can get enough SR+ and RHD loaded onto ships. Add ~35k for the US and some random number for China to get perhaps 65-70k total Model 3s. 75k looks pretty heroic, but EOQ heroics are a regular thing with Tesla. S/X depends on Raven production and how aggressively they dump pre-Raven inventory. I'd guess 15k.
> (EU+US ~= 55k) ... some random number for China to get perhaps 65-70k total Model 3s ...
There were 8 ships to China in Q1, yet only 5,300 model 3s delivered. Does anyone know if Tesla has delivered all those model 3s that were shipped but not delivered in Q1? There are 4 more ships to China so far this quarter. In theory, Tesla could have even more model 3s delivered this quarter to China than EU. But there are little info so far.

Reactions: AndyH
> (EU+US ~= 55k) ... some random number for China to get perhaps 65-70k total Model 3s ...
There were 8 ships to China in Q1, yet only 5,300 model 3s delivered. Does anyone know if Tesla has delivered all those model 3s that were shipped but not delivered in Q1? There are 4 more ships to China so far this quarter. In theory, Tesla could have even more model 3s delivered this quarter to China than EU. But there are little info so far.
Canada can also be 5-8k

Just wondering what the source is on that number? I saw around 7.5k-8k earlier in this thread, but that could be wrong. Thanks.
I can be blamed for 7-8k confusion but @Artful Dodger clarified, that the std capacity listed on carriers are for 1966 Toyota Corolla, and model 3 being bigger will fit in lesser number. So I am guessing a 5300 number seems right.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Here's Elon's (purported) email transcribed:

Date: Wed 5/22/2019 10:45 PM
To: Everybody

As of yesterday, we had over 50,000 net new orders for this quarter. Based on current trends, we have a good
chance of exceeding the record 90,700 deliveries of Q1 last year and making this the highest deliveries/sales
quarter in Tesla history!

In order to achieve this, we need sustained output of 1,000 Model 3's per day. Almost all parts of the Model 3
production system have exceeded 1000 units on multiple days (congratulations!!) and we've averaged
about 900/day this week, so we're only about 10% away from 7000/week.

If we rally hard, we can do it!

Thanks for your great work,
Elon

The tone and content matches Elon - if it's fake it's a good one. China has been a source of internal emails before.

So if this is legit, this is good news. It's still unclear how S/X sales are doing in Q2:
  • If they are at 900/day Model 3 production right now, that's a current run-rate of 6,300/week.
  • If they manage to further increase it to the target 7,000/week in the final few weeks of June, then they'll maybe have ~6,000/week overall Model 3 production rate for all of Q2, which is a production of ~78,000 Model 3's. (Maybe more.)
  • The email mentions a goal of higher than 90,700 S+3+X deliveries.
  • In Q1 vehicles in transit were ~10k, and if they now increase this to ~15k to unwind the 'wave' delivery method in the next several quarters, then total production would be roughly 5k more than deliveries, i.e. ~96k.
  • This means that if Model 3 production is 78k and total production is 96k, then S/X production 18k - better than Q1 but worse than Q2'18.
Another detail in the email: production increase focus is entirely on the Model 3. This could be read in a way to say that Model S/X is at full (or intended) capacity, with no production push there.

Also note the focus on deliveries, i.e. the target for Q2 is record deliveries despite unwinding the wave. (In-transit vehicles are 'sold' vehicles that are not delivered yet, so unwinding the wave would have the effect of reducing deliveries somewhat.)

If this verifies in the delivery report in early July, then this should completely change the current gloom and doom narrative and would paint Q1'19 as the outlier - not Q3-Q4'18 as outliers.

Still 5-6 weeks of heavy FUD until then though - plus in Q1 they originally intended much better deliveries too, so as always there's a real chance of Tesla not meeting these goals.

Not advice.

It is looking likely this email is real, but I'm sure we'll get confirmation soon.

These numbers look good for Model 3 demand at this stage. A US order backlog for SR+ cars would have been built in Q1, so net new orders in Q2 will be suffering from order pull forward into Q1. The SR+ launch in Europe and Asia plus US lease launch both happened in Q2 though, so pent up demand for these options will have offset the Q1 US SR+ pull forward to some extent. It would be helpful to know the total unfulfilled order backlog.
It's hard to know what order rates look like for S/X, and to what degree they have now managed to ramp production back up. I'm sure order rate will have improved significantly from Q1, but it likely isn't yet back at the c.25k/Q target rate, and production could hold back S/X in Q2.
I expect Model 3 demand in China is starting to be held back significantly by progress with GF3. GF3 cars will be dramatically cheaper than US cars and if people are hopeful the wait may now be just 4-6 months they will be very hesitant to pay the post tariff, incentive excluded cars currently on offer.

Nope, all Jan21 call options, so if it rebounds, I'll be ok.

But I like to expect the worst. Only thing that bothers me is that there's no way for me to safely profit off of this dip since I'm pretty much out of money and rent is still due next month.
I've been there. You can increase leverage a lot by going nearer term with your calls, like J20s, but obviously that increases the risk. I can't accept not increasing leverage after dips of 20%+, so I always increase leverage on dips like this, but that's me.

Just stopping on by (sorry for not being around much). The source of this email is here:

橄榄猫的主人: $特斯拉(TSLA)$ 再补一发,坚持住啊! - 雪球

Beyond the person who posted it, two commenters with histories on the site claim to have confirmed it with Tesla employees. Email client appears to be Outlook web (hence the "like" button - it's one of their features). The red "EM" and the email addressed to "Everyone" match previously leaked emails.

Still, keep your skeptics hats on until there's media confirmation. Could of course be a well-done fake.

Lets assume for the sake of the argument its fake.

If I am a short faking it the message would be very different and if I am a long wanting to bring a positive message out I would go with a number that is much higher to create the required attention for the purpose of the mail.

Thats no prove that its real but the person would have put a lot of efforts making the wording sounding real picking the right termini but did lack that much on the key part which are the numbers.

If we look back in history when Elons mails leaked he did the same kind of motivation talk with a similar message. Also as Elon cannot tweet like he wants to and the SP falls further its certainly itching in his finger to write a message that he knows will be leaked.

Adding all of that together and maybe this is wishful thinking its unlikely to me that it is fake.

CAFB9514-230C-4C1E-A011-B8764714D682.png

previous guidance in the bag, crypto message from Elon last night.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: replicant and PANN
If I was Elon, I'd be so tempted to just de-camp to China and Europe and keep a minimal presence in USA if the media/oil/gov/analysts/WS etc are so hostile. F..k the lot of them (and he's not even American really)

Americans should be proud to have a car company that the WORLD loves. Should be proud to have leading tech in energy storage. But nope. Most of us just spew hate. I’d totally understand if Tesla moved to a friendlier location.