Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why there aren't more superchargers at shopping centers, grocery stores, restaurants, startbucks's, ikea, etc. This seems to me a no-brainer as it would fit perfectly into people's daily routine.
Also, why doesn't tesla push more for/partner with RE development companies to integrate chargers into apartment communities and parking garages? (I know there are some here and there, but should be much more commonplace)
Superchargers are meant to facilitate long distance travel, not to facilitate charging during your daily routine. Routine charging can and should be done at home, or using public chargers, or using destination chargers.

Superchargers are meant to facilitate long distance travel, not to facilitate charging during your daily routine. Routine charging can and should be done at home, or using public chargers, or using destination chargers.
Right. Many of these place need destination or public EVSEs. A few might require Urban SCs.

Good point. I should have just said "chargers". There need to be more chargers in places where people organically spend an hour or few and could be charging. So many big parking lots where chargers could fit. Again, I know there are some, just not nearly enough. It would really become a marketing benefit if the narrative were that charging can fit into anyone's life (esp those without garages)

Reactions: MP3Mike
Looks like the referral program is 1000 miles again, but will one small diffference from before. The 'original' 1000 miles program had miles valid for 3 year. When going to 5000 miles, they reduced the time period to 6 months. That's good, because Tesla can get that liability off the books quicker. Also, many wouldn't be able to use that many miles in 6 months.

The program from May 30th onwards is 1000 miles, but 6 months expiration. Again, this liability will be on the books shorter than the old program.

Sure it said 6 months but it said each referral extended the expiration date by 6 months. So if you got 10 referrals you got 50,000 miles that were good for 5 years. (i.e. I think that they screwed the wording up, but now they have to honor it.)

And it still says "Each additional referral will extend the expiration date by 6 months." for the current 1,000 mile program, so they haven't fixed it.

Last edited:

but why can't you guys see that this philosophy SUCKS for the vast majority of Model 3 prospects, who CANT charge at home or at work? they don't want to sit for 4 hours at a destination charger once a week. they want to get lunch/coffee at a supercharger and be stuck for 20-30 minutes, tops. how can anyone in an urban area, townhome, or apartment be expected to buy a Tesla if their only charging options completely suck?

but why can't you guys see that this philosophy SUCKS for the vast majority of Model 3 prospects, who CANT charge at home? they don't want to sit for 4 hours at a destination charger. they want to get lunch/coffee at a supercharger and be stuck for 20-30 minutes, tops. how can anyone in an urban area, townhome, or apartment be expected to buy a Tesla if their only charging options completely suck?

Tesla is attacking this in multiple ways. Shortening the time to charge via tech like V3 supercharging, increasing density of chargers, and ultimately the low cost robotaxi network.

More apartment complexes and townhouses will install chargers to attract good quality tenants. Not something in Tesla's control, but it's inevitable.

but why can't you guys see that this philosophy SUCKS for the vast majority of Model 3 prospects, who CANT charge at home or at work? they don't want to sit for 4 hours at a destination charger once a week. they want to get lunch/coffee at a supercharger and be stuck for 20-30 minutes, tops. how can anyone in an urban area, townhome, or apartment be expected to buy a Tesla if their only charging options completely suck?
Well that explains the disagree. I said Starbucks is a different time frame than a grocery store. If you want more superlevel charging, that is one thing, but pairing it with an activity that takes longer to accomplish (my caveated shopping trips) doesn't make sense. The tesla urban charge does 72kW which does match up with a mall shopping trip/ leisurely dinner.

As a shareholder and person who wants more EVs on the road, I'm happy for people who can't charge at home to use superchargers. Now, people who use them just because it's free, they can sod off.

It's mind boggling hearing people on the TESLA INVESTORS forum say they want to see fewer teslas sold. Especially as supercharging isn't free anymore, so Tesla is either breaking even or making a profit. Given that, adding more SCs isn't a problem.

As a shareholder and person who wants more EVs on the road, I'm happy for people who can't charge at home to use superchargers. Now, people who use them just because it's free, they can sod off.

Next time you’re at your local supercharging station, would like to see you say that to those charging there. Don’t just be a keyboard warrior.

Tesla is attacking this in multiple ways. Shortening the time to charge via tech like V3 supercharging,

which only affects those charging at superchargers.

increasing density of chargers, and ultimately the low cost robotaxi network.

neither of these helps people who can't charge at home or at work but want to buy a Tesla, as far as i can tell.

More apartment complexes and townhouses will install chargers to attract good quality tenants. Not something in Tesla's control, but it's inevitable.

Tesla can't technically CONTROL this, but the onus is on them to push this option and help get more saturation there. we agree that left to their own devices, property owners and associations aren't going to do jack until absolutely necessary. Tesla needs to be aggressively proactive in getting chargers in these places, so that the 3's prime demographic can perceive it as a viable option. like i mentioned earlier, i personally know at least a handful of people who would love to own a Tesla, but haven't pulled the trigger because they can't charge at home or at work.

Last edited:
Next time you’re at your local supercharging station, would like to see you say that to those charging there. Don’t just be a keyboard warrior.

you're from the bay area, so your experience is different of course, but around here, all up and down the east coast, the superchargers are almost never full (on my map, they're usually at like 3/8 occupied or so). i'm happy when i see them in use. but i'm talking about people who don't have the option to charge at home, anyway.

Reactions: Christine69420
How would I know? And yeah, I'd be happy to say "You are wasting an hour of your time to save $5. Great work. "

I agree. People who have the capability to charge at home should, even if it's free for them. Like, really, the neighbor puts out a bowl of candy for the kids because they went to a party, does this mean you should take the entire thing? Don't be greedy.

As to the EM being on the calls debate: I do not remember which relatively recent call it was but, IMO, the best call scenario is EM is there BUT he puts all his various commanders on to talk about their areas of the company.....CFO, Jerome, Karparthy, JB.....etc and direct analysts' questions to the appropriate person.

He could give a short preamble or post script....AND STAY on SCRIPT ;)
Q3 was the day. I think this is what they should do going forward. Put Jerome and Zach out front and let Elon have some opening comment and then stand back. Next quarter, stand back with no comments and then just focus on new product announcements, high level negotiations and his other CEO type things. He can’t stand most of these guys, just avoid them. It takes ammo away from tslaq as well. They can’t make a big deal out of Zach overpromising on deliveries by 2%, but they can call Elon a fraud.