Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya... well, $2.4 bil of that positive cash flow is from capital raise. So not a great quarter. Looks like the cash burn from Q1 continued into Q2. Musk's promise to spend everything and pour it into FSD seems to be true. But we also have to extend the timeline from the original 2 year to 5 years of cash burn for FSD. Shanghai might be able to change the picture as it could contribute to positive margin. But we won't know till next year.

I think you are reading that wrong, cash was down to 1.9 billion and the 600 million is cash flow from operations plus 2.4 billion to get to 5 billion. No burn. This is good, if next quarter meets guidance, they'll be close to 6 billion in the bank and could be close to 7 billion in the bank at the end of the year.

Like every quarter before, the short war continues. Dirty tricks and a whisper campaign to make it all sound horrible on Wall Street. I don't know when the damn will break, maybe Tesla will have to buy back shares like VA says. I would guess once Shanghai is running, deliveries will even out over the quarter and free cash flow should be well over 1 billion per quarter.

If I were a trader, I'd be mad for not hedging, but I think the stock will bounce tomorrow.

You realy cant believe any 'analysis' you will read about tsla over the next 72 hours. The shorts will be at maximum FUD to try and paint everything in a negative light. The truth is the complete opposite. This is a company growing at an insane rate YoY. They dont have to slow down to show a profit this quarter, they would rather expand, and I dont blame them. The showed a profit in Q3,Q4, and it got them precisely nowhere, just people frothing and yelling at them to raise capital. They did that, and the frothing continued.
I dont think tsla gives a **** what 'the market' thinks as long as they have access to the capital required to expand at a continual rate. They clearly do (the cap raise was easy, and china is willing to throw money at them to expand).
I expect a lot of bullshit headlines, and they will likely continue on and on and on

Note that Tesla increased 2019 guidance of Model 3 production from 7k/week to 8k/week:

"The production rate of Model 3 continued to improve gradually throughout the quarter, breaking a monthly record in May and then again in June. All manufacturing equipment in Fremont has demonstrated capability of a 7,000 Model 3 vehicles per week run rate, which we continue to work to increase. We aim to produce 10,000 total vehicles of
all models per week by the end of 2019.
"​

If S/X production is 2k/week then Model 3 production is 8k/week.

As suspected, after market trading is used by shorts to generate a big drop and dictate the Q2 narrative.

That sentence is from Model 3 section. I think “all models” means all Model 3 models (ie, including Giga 3)

Every time, man!

This has been the dominating pattern in recent history with TSLA. Ignoring everything, including the chatter here and Tesla business in general, just looking at it statistically, one would expect lower SP after earnings. Tesla doesn’t disappoint in this regard.

Now we’ll get similar arguments made after Q1 going into Q3 ER. Trying to justify why losing (paper) money is just another walk in the park. Almost feels like TSLA should be green right now.

Pretty good ASP, take rates, margins and CoGs of the Model 3:

"During the quarter, a majority of orders continued to be for a long-range battery option and the Model 3 average selling price (ASP) was stable at approximately $50,000. At the same time, manufacturing costs continued to decline."

Also, better margins expected on the Model Y:

"Preparations for Model Y production in Fremont began in Q2. Due to a significant overlap of components between Model 3 and Model Y, we are able to leverage existing manufacturing designs in the development of the Model Y production facilities. Additionally, we are making progress managing Model Y cost with only a minimal cost premium expected over Model 3. Due to the large market size for SUVs, as well as higher ASPs, we believe Model Y will be a more profitable product than the Model 3."

Some thoughts.

The main difference between consensus estimate and what they reported is restructuring cost of $117M. Excluding restructuring cost, here is what it looks like :

Factset Estimate : -0.35
My estimate : -0.31
Actual EPS : -0.45 (-1.12 including restructuring) [ps : this was -0.28, see note below]

Factset Rev Estimate : $6.47B
My Rev estimate : $6.523B
Actual Revenue : $6.349B

Free Cash Flow estimate : $136M
My FCF estimate : $858M
Actual FCF : $614B (excluding restructuring, $731M)

PS : We have to figure out why there is a difference between non-gaap loss reported at the top $167M and on page 9. There is a difference of 31M. Either we'll see the explanation in ER call or in 10-Q.

At the Top :

Gaap : ($408M) EPS : (2.31)
non-Gaap : ($167M) EPS : (0.94)

On Page 9 :

Gaap : ($408M) EPS : (2.31)
non-Gaap : ($198M) EPS : (1.12)

Last edited:
Horrible profits (seriously, wtf)

Good cash flow

Idk what to say other than I’m not selling

I've been holding since Feb 2013 - will never sell. It's not about the money for me. It's about the mission. But I don't like giving the haters this kind of ammunition.

They will be emboldened by this report. I was really hoping for a beat on every metric.

During the quarter, a majority of orders continued to
be for a long-range battery option and the Model 3
average selling price (ASP) was stable at
approximately $50,000. At the same time,
manufacturing costs continued to decline.

How is anyone selling stock when they read this? Shorts whined like crazy that tesla wouldnt be able to make a profit because the cheaper Model 3 would squeeze margins, and everyone would buy the lowest model. Seems like ASAP is pretty ****ing high to me, and the relentless focus on cost cutting (even before we factor in the new model Y casting/wiring advances) means things are only going to get better.

I lvoe how the shorts focus on manufacturing and margins, because they dont want to accept this simple fact:
There is zero demand problem, and teslas biggest problem is making the cars fast enough for the customers who want them.

• Love
Reactions: JusRelax