Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's at least 3 Models S at the 'ring this week:
  1. Grey colored Raven production model
  2. Red colored Plaid prototype
  3. Blue colored Plaid prototype
Cheers!

I'm now curious about the difference between the Blue and Red Plaid prototypes...

Perhaps they are an identical car, and Tesla is playing it safe by having 2 cars available.

Or perhaps one of them is a "base model" with a smaller battery and smaller motors.

We will have to wait to be told officially, but if one is faster, my money is on the Red, but perhaps that is just the color making a difference :)

Or it could just be a redesign of the 3rd row seats instead of the zomebie-rumor-that-just-won't-die interior refresh.

You guys act like Tesla should just flat out never refresh anything because it will "osborne" everything. No one in the market for a new S right now is going to wait a year just in case there is an interior refresh. If they want a 3 motor performance version they may, but that is not going to be a huge volume car in any case, more of a halo vehicle.
I will believe until proven wrong that the Plaid will be the performance version of the next generation S and X, coming to market fall 2020.

I expected this in 2022, when the S is ten years old, and not sooner because Tesla has so much in the pipeline. Perhaps the Taycan helped to move up the timeline.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
I'm now curious about the difference between the Blue and Red Plaid prototypes...

Perhaps they are an identical car, and Tesla is playing it safe by having 2 cars available.

Or perhaps one of them is a "base model" with a smaller battery and smaller motors.

We will have to wait to be told officially, but if one is faster, my money is on the Red, but perhaps that is just the color making a difference :)

Red cars are definitely faster.

As are clean cars. I know my Roadster drives better and faster right after I've washed it.

Red cars are always faster. Duh!

:p

Perhaps two Plaid cars so one can charge while the other one is racing? To avoid downtime when renting the track.

Reactions: Stars aligned
Premium prices are now not longer justified for the Taycan and likely not for the next BEVs of Porsche and with that their strategy is imploding. I believe Porsche has a very hard awakening in front of them.
Porsche's investment in Taycan might be salvageable. They could announce that in America the interiors will be furnished with Corinthian leather. (Does Ricardo have a grandson or granddaughter?)

Last edited:

I can say with certainty that one difference is that one is red and the other is blue.

It's extremely hard for large companies to be nimble. I'm not as familiar with the German auto industry, but without government intervention the US companies (all but Ford perhaps) would have been gone years ago. Big corporations don't last forever. I agree that anyone seeing those profits and assuming that Porsche is safe is making some big assumptions.
Ford received a $6bn loan from the same program Tesla got their $500M loan. That's why they didn't go bankrupt. They have 27 years (from the loan date) to pay it back. I wonder how much the tax payers are actually going to see? Tesla paid back their loan in full a few years ago.

A week ago, people were saying:

“More Elon bullshit! A Tesla can’t even complete a lap around the ring before going into limp mode! My Miata is faster around the track!”

Now:

“Porsche only lost to Tesla by 20 seconds on the ring because they weren’t using street-legal tires!”

That’s a big change in 7 days. Love it.

I respect Porsche’s racing chops but am under no illusions that their designs are unbeatable on the track.

I can say with certainty that the visible side of the car was blue.
Certainty is an illusion.

sb11229-1568732151.SwapRGB-BGR.png

tesla-model-s-plaid-spy-photo.RGB-BGR.png

"There is no spoon"

Last edited:
To the extent Porsche is sitting on better times (which from the article isn't clear that the Turbo S's limited duration performance boost would have made a difference over the non-S Turbo, but that aside), they would be holding back so as not to surpass their ICE cars. Note the Taycan's Ring time of 7:42 vs. the Panamera's 7:38. All too convenient.

TLDR version: "No, we published a time from our slow car, without telling anyone at the time that it was our slow car, because that's a totally normal thing to do! What, did we race our fast car, and what time did we get? Um.... no further questions." ;)

And of course, the car they raced was neither Turbo nor Turbo S; it was a stripped pre-production prototype:

EEs5gxXXUAABKKN

EEs5gxTWsAELXaZ

Stock my arse. ;)

Oh, and remember that dispute earlier over whether Turbo S could be gotten with summer tires on the Mission E wheels at all (let alone the specific ones they raced on)? There wasn't any disagreement at all that the Turbo can't. ;)