Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GF3 progress in the past 10 days.

img13.png

German media is picking up the taycant website: Of course, they did not properly investigate the owner of this website ;)

Tesla blamiert Porsche: Model S auf der Nordschleife 20 Sekunden schneller als Taycan
There is a backstory: (2 msgs posted here on Sep 7, 2018)

in case anyone is wondering.. www.taycant.com is avail on go daddy...

I did it. I did it. My very first website

View attachment 451905

Maybe these Reporters aren't on TMC?

Domaintools reports "Taycant.com created on 2019-09-07".​

It was a burrito. Jus' sayin'. ;)

Cheers!

Nafnlaus on Twitter

View attachment 456633

I'm going to make a WAG that there was either no money transferred, or fully refundable money transferred. Nobody's going to put down, say, $100M or more non-refundable for vehicles that don't exist yet. Not even Bezos.

Amazon has $700M invested in Rivian. Seems an easy way to boost their investment's credibility. "Look, we have unlimited orders!" ;)

Commercial heavy duty delivery trucks are typically custom built aluminum boxy bodies on 3rd party sourced running chassis. It will be interesting to see what path this takes.

Late edit: scale probably doesn't line up. different use cases and #s

Last edited:
...I am actively looking for other green/ethical companies or funds to invest in, but it is hard to find anything with the potential of TSLA.

Oh, yes. This is an investment thread.

While TSLA is substantial portion of my portfolio, I am interested in what others have deemed worthy of consideration.

Care to post your top three holdings?

TSLA , AAPL, SEDG

MOD: There’s a dedicated thread for that already, in the Investor Sector. “Other tech...”.

So not here, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

checked the original language in German, the commitment sounds pretty weak:
  • it says "for the time being" & "it is not definite that they won't resume development work in the future"
  • main R&D focus is on "electrification, electric drivetrains and battery development" -> "electrification" can also mean hybrids
  • there are "currently no plans for new engine developments" -> this sounds like he is referring to from-scratch developments, and this obviously does not exclude upgrades and minor improvements
since an engine platform is usually good for ~10 years and they just completed the latest iteration, it's a statement they can easily make at the moment.

I think it is wishful thinking. I'm only quoting in part, true, but I don't believe deceptively: "...this generation could also be the last." Emphasis mine. Hard to see how that qualifier resulted in "ends gas engine development."

At this point we've seen so many stall tactics from practically every auto maker that it truly makes these sort of press releases of statements seem rather pointless. It is comforting knowing that we're about to enter a phase in Tesla's production expansion where all of these auto makers will either have to follow through or risk collapsing

I think it is wishful thinking. I'm only quoting in part, true, but I don't believe deceptively: "...this generation could also be the last." Emphasis mine. Hard to see how that qualifier resulted in "ends gas engine development."

Its is. Daimler said in other reports that they will continue investment in Diesel and Gas engines. What is happening here is that they reduce a little and use it to be seen in the market as someone who goes EV which I actually don't really.

Its a bad reputation to be last in the queue together with BMW but IMO thats where Daimler belongs right now.

I am tired from all that announcements while they either never deliver or its in many years, maybe...

At this point we've seen so many stall tactics from practically every auto maker that it truly makes these sort of press releases of statements seem rather pointless. It is comforting knowing that we're about to enter a phase in Tesla's production expansion where all of these auto makers will either have to follow through or risk collapsing

It’s just astounding how glacial their pace of change is, though. The Model S won Motor Trend’s Car of the Year award 7 years ago, and only now are automakers shifting gears from “EVs are a niche and will never be profitable or mainstream” to “hmm I guess we better start researching it!”

It’s just astounding how glacial their pace of change is, though. The Model S won Motor Trend’s Car of the Year award 7 years ago, and only now are automakers shifting gears from “EVs are a niche and will never be profitable or mainstream” to “hmm I guess we better start researching it!”
Well, Motor Trend has not been a real good indicator of automotive goodness. The Corvair and Tempest were also Car of the Year.

I’m more and more convinced that all of Musk’s efforts are head-fakes for his true objective: colonizing Mars.

SpaceX was the first reveal - capture the majority of commercial satellite launches to fund development of his interplanetary transport.

Tesla/Solar - develop the technology (solar, batteries) and scaling for a non-fossil planetary power infrastructure. Pretty much the only option for Mars unless one wants to import and install fission reactors. Also supports extraterrestrial surface transportation.

Boring - Establish expertise in extensive excavation. May be the fastest way to establish large pressurized volumes on airless bodies.

Starlink - fast way to establish planetary comm/nav infrastructure. Should work fine for Mars.

Neuralink - Musk already gave this one away. It’s a hedge against AI hostile takeover before we escape.
The double secret master plan

I'm really curious about Norway. Right now QTD deliveries are down 35% in Norway. Is it a late surge this quarter? Did demand get hurt by bad service stories? Whatever is going on the Netherlands is more than soaking up this demand. Their QTD deliveries are up 150% and therefore the Norway + Netherlands + Spain number is up 24%.
I believe it is a result of two things: 1) Slightly over-supplying Norway, because they know the demand is there and undersupplying the other countries, where the magnitude of demand is less certain, and 2) Some Tesla owners are complaining that the trade-in money that they are getting should be higher, taking a little bit of the bloom off the rose.