Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised nobody's posted this yet:

Tesla Model 3, S & X Sales Estimates In U.S. For September 2019

September:
Model 3: 20,250
Model S: 1,100
Model X: 1,675

Q2:
Model 3: 45225
Model S: 3600
Model X: 5150

Q3:
Model 3: 46850 (+1625)
Model S: 3125 (-475)
Model X: 4725 (-425)

Overall, a roughly breakeven US quarter (during a tax rampdown), alongside the massive European and APAC expansion. :) I'm sure we'd all like to see better S/X numbers, but the 3s more than made up for the difference. Overall, fears of a bad US quarter? Nonsense. :)

(This according to InsideEVs)

It just came out.

Weaker than Q2 sales in the US, both for S/X and for the Model 3.

International sales might make up for it, but not by much IMHO.

If this verifies then @Troy's 101k estimate might be too optimistic.

Edit: as @MP3Mike pointed out, there's QoQ growth - but there was a misleading headline in the InsideEV article that said "quarter over quarter decline".

With all due respect to InsideEVs and the work they have been doing over the past years, having read their article explaining they are basically left with zero data sources and are forced to abandon monthly reporting, how much credit do we want to give these numbers?

With all due respect to InsideEVs and the work they have been doing over the past years, having read their article explaining they are basically left with zero data sources and are forced to abandon monthly reporting, how much credit do we want to give these numbers?

Limited. But better than nothing.

That said, the cited EU numbers are official.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Here's the video of the chat Elon had with Everday Astronaut two days ago, and it's one of the best Elon interviews ever IMO:

Elon was in an even better mood here than in his CNN interview - and the points he made about SpaceX organizational structure and R&D methodology apply to Tesla just as much.

Good to see him in such a great mood.

(International readers might want to turn on English captions.)

Here are the top selling car models for Norway in September.

Denne mnd = This month
Hittil = Year to date

The VW Golf is sold both as a fossil car, fully electric and hybrid. And so is possibly other makes and models too.

EDIT: Now with pic sorted by sales in September. :oops:

EDIT2: Teslastats report 108 Model S sold in September. Unknown why it's not listed here.

Sep2019.png

From this source:

In Norway in September 11 157 cars were sold, 6 086 or 55% of those were pure electric. Up by 1276 from last year. An increase of 26.5%.
Bilsalget i september 2019 – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

Compared to September 2018 car sales are up 5% but pure electrics are up 26.5%

Hybrid car sales are going down. From 26.2% of the market last year to 22.8% in september 2019.

Last edited:
Exactly! I've thought for the last two years that a lot of the anti-EV posts are AI robot-posts. I would hate to see what kind of sad people work in the basement keeping the whole thing going. It's the kind of thing you couldn't "unsee".

Elon Musk broke US labor laws on Twitter: An administrative judge says Tesla tried to sabotage efforts to unionize factory workers in California. : politics

I found this thread both fascinating and disturbing. /r/politics is a very left-leaning subreddit, yet this post from today is filled with a ton of misinformed anti-Musk vitriol.

Perhaps my favorite Tesla Headline yet...........?

Is Greta Thunberg Tesla’s New Mascot?

Is Greta Thunberg Tesla’s New Mascot?

"Tesla’s (TSLA) mission closely resembles what environmentalists such as Greta Thunberg are seeking. So could Thunberg be Tesla’s new mascot?"

Obviously only Clickbait, however it does seem like positive Clickbait for a change.

TSLA strength today under bad macros.

NIO on the other hand is completely collapsing before our eyes. Down to $1.27 a share.

Nio is essentially on death watch at this point. No ability to raise money from the market or investors. Their only hope is Chinese government swoops in within the next 2 to 3 weeks. Given how the stock is collapsing 15-20% on a daily basis, I wouldn't be surprised if people in the know are aware that the government is just going to let it go under.

Their earnings report was really THAT bad. The loss and the negative margins was astronomical given their level of sales. Makes the think theres was some number cooking going on eith earlier earnings quarters. How else can you go from negative gross margins of 10% to like 40%

TSLA strength today under bad macros.

NIO on the other hand is completely collapsing before our eyes. Down to $1.27 a share.

perhaps this explains China's full-bore backing of Tesla -- bending over backwards to let them own a factory, build it for them at breakneck speed, exempt them from tariffs, etc -- perhaps they recognized early on that there was no saving Nio.

In other news...
Elon has the 60 most followed twitter account (click on the button to see the whole chart):
Find out who's not following you back on Twitter, Tumblr, & Pinterest.

He has 28.5 million followers.
He gains ~13k followers daily, and this is *increasing* compared to the past. This is the same rate of Justin Bieber, who already has 106.8 mln.
Elon just surpassed Zayn Malik, NBA and Kyle Jenner; soon it will take Conan O'Brien, Emma Watson and Kanye West.
I think it's quite impressive, and bodes well for Tesla marketing (also Tesla is gaining a lot, thanks to the new social media manager).
Just hope Elon doesn't do anything stupid ;-)

In other news...
Elon has the 60 most followed twitter account (click on the button to see the whole chart):
Find out who's not following you back on Twitter, Tumblr, & Pinterest.

He has 28.5 million followers.
He gains ~13k followers daily, and this is *increasing* compared to the past. This is the same rate of Justin Bieber, who already has 106.8 mln.
Elon just surpassed Zayn Malik, NBA and Kyle Jenner; soon it will take Conan O'Brien, Emma Watson and Kanye West.
I think it's quite impressive, and bodes well for Tesla marketing (also Tesla is gaining a lot, thanks to the new social media manager).
Just hope Elon doesn't do anything stupid ;-)

I don't know, it depends on whether you're talking "smoking pot" stupid or "pedo guy" stupid. ;) The former actually earns him followers ;)

I’ve watched in real time at the start of the trading day, my Apple Stock App news feed get reordered to reflect priority to negative article headlines. Business Insider is the most prolific negative outlet on Apple Stock App.

Apple Stock App “curates” news media outlets. You don’t get to see any articles, no matter how factual and useful to investors, outside this curated list.

Stock App is on hundreds of millions of iPhones globally.

Simple question, do we want to live in a world where our investment information is “curated” to meet the financial objectives of the highest bidders?

Do we want to be told how to think about investments which causes us to make decisions that result in our financial loss, but is designed that way to enriches these highest bidders?

Is this the way innovation will win, or is this process of innovation decay that comes along with monopoly control of knowledge and information?

Everyday I become more appreciative that Tesla had broken through the media wall before it got to this point.

Tesla’s accelerating economic success may be the salient to reverse this trend in the near future.

I’ve watched in real time at the start of the trading day, my Apple Stock App news feed get reordered to reflect priority to negative article headlines. Business Insider is the most prolific negative outlet on Apple Stock App.

Apple Stock App “curates” news media outlets. You don’t get to see any articles, no matter how factual and useful to investors, outside this curated list.

Stock App is on hundreds of millions of iPhones globally.

Simple question, do we want to live in a world where our investment information is “curated” to meet the financial objectives of the highest bidders?

Do we want to be told how to think about investments which causes us to make decisions that result in our financial loss, but is designed that way to enriches these highest bidders?

Is this the way innovation will win, or is this process of innovation decay that comes along with monopoly control of knowledge and information?

Everyday I become more appreciative that Tesla had broken through the media wall before it got to this point.

Tesla’s accelerating economic success may be the salient to reverse this trend in the near future.

—-

When posting a video please provide a short summary of the contents or even the subject, so members can judge whether it’s worth clicking the link.

Mod

Last edited by a moderator: