Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you see my post (below)? So this is then true (prices are dropping for S,X)?
Top end Model S went from $140k to $99k with even more range. This hurt the value of P100D and I can imagine it caused a domino effect of lowering the value of all CPO Model S. The value of my P85D dropped a ton since I bought it in May 2018. Model 3 Performance is also a steal at $55k.

Just my own musings but I think Apple may have quit its car project.

Yesterday Apple announced a $3.5 Billion plan for affordable housing in Silicon Valley, which included $300 million of apple owned land in San Jose for affordable housing development

Flashback to 2015: Apple buys $300 million of land in San Jose, reportedly for future facilities for its car project.

Project Titan at the root of Apple’s massive north San Jose land grab

I have no idea if it is the same land, but the amount and city happen to be the same, so its at least worth some speculation.

What does this mean for Tesla? Well if my wild speculation is close to the truth, the most well resourced company on earth no longer may be interested in competing with Tesla. It also means Apple might have decided to partner, or acquire, to compete in the car space (I’ll let everyone else speculate what that might mean for Tesla).

Didn’t Apple cut its workforce in the car project as well? If I was Apple and wanted to save face for dropping Project Titan, I would convert the land to build affordable housing for my employees because I care. Oh wait..

Didn’t Apple cut its workforce in the car project as well? If I was Apple and wanted to save face for dropping Project Titan, I would convert the land to build affordable housing for my employees because I care. Oh wait..

Lest we forget, Tesla too has cut its workforce several times in the past. Move fast and break things is the philosophy of Silicon Valley. Be careful about drawing conclusions. I would not underestimate Apple.

A comprehensive history of Project Titan:
Apple Car: It's no secret, Apple's actively working on Car tech

"Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also believes that Apple is still working on an Apple Car that will launch between 2023 and 2025. Kuo believes the car will be Apple's "next star product" with Apple able to offer "better integration of hardware, software and services" than potential competitors in the automotive market, with Apple-designed chips manufactured by TSMC."

There is also timeline at the end of the article:

Apple Car Timeline

October2019
Oct 18 Quanta Reportedly Supplying Apple With 'Autonomous Driving Solutions'

July2019
Jul 22 Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

June2019
Jun 28 Jony Ive Once Insisted on Apple Car Without a Steering Wheel
Jun 25 Apple Confirms Acquisition of Self-Driving Vehicle Startup Drive.ai
Jun 6 Apple Reportedly in Process of Acquiring Self-Driving Vehicle Company Drive.ai

April2019
Apr 17 Apple Reportedly Seeking LiDAR Sensors With 'Revolutionary Design' for Self-Driving Vehicles

February2019
Feb 27 Apple Confirms 190 Layoffs From Self-Driving Car Project
Feb 21 German Report Says 'Apple Car' Could Arrive in Form of Electric Van
Feb 20 Apple Shares White Paper on Self-Driving Car Safety
Feb 13 Apple's Self-Driving Car Performance May Not Be So Bad After All
Feb 12 Apple Reports Self-Driving Car Disengagements to DMV, Earns Worst Rank

January2019
Jan 30 Second Apple Employee Accused of Stealing Apple Car Details
Jan 24 Apple Cuts 200+ Employees From 'Project Titan' Autonomous Car Team

December2018
Dec 17 Apple Hires Former Tesla and Microsoft HoloLens Designer Andrew Kim

October2018
Oct 21 Apple Signs Lease for Large Manufacturing Facility in Milpitas, California
Oct 19 Apple Self-Driving Car in Manual Mode Involved in Minor Collision That Wasn’t Driver’s Fault on October 15
Oct 17 TSMC to Remain Sole iPhone Chip Supplier, Could Provide ARM-Based Chips for Mac in 2020, Apple Car Chips in 2023

August2018
Aug 31 Apple Autonomous Test Vehicle Involved in Accident on August 24
Aug 14 Kuo: Apple to Launch Apple Car in 2023 to 2025
Aug 10 Former Tesla Lead Engineer Doug Field Returns to Apple to Work on Project Titan

Last edited:
The Lemur was created because Panasonic could not deliver enough 2170 cells to support the production plans at Fremont. Nothing to due with FUD, although you seem to have internalized some with this conclusion... ;)

Hack up that hairball! :p

Cheers!

correct, MR was in Q4 not Q1, so, yes, that's less clearly a decision based on demand...

so, I retract the MR phrase from my earlier post based on your point. It was of nil utility to what I was trying to communicate anyway.

Last edited:
Informative article. But i didn't understand this:

I can understand switching off solar if the price went negative, but doesn't "low prices" indicate the electricity was worth something? Also, assuming the price went to zero and yet almost 50% of the electricity was still being produced by burning fossil fuels, doesn't that imply they were getting zero as well? Or perhaps they have contracts that require minimum payment for all production up to a specified amount 24/7? If so, it would seem more batteries would be economically advantageous.

I think the grid could be a lot greener with stronger time of use billing schedules. This would encourage water heaters with timers, EV charging during peak solar production and other adaptations which would reduce the baseload supplied by fossil fuels. But something tells me monied interests have their hands in the pie fouling up the way it should logically work.

The short answer here is some of those solar farms need batteries.

The reason they are turned off might be due to constraints around capacity of shared transmission lines, issues with "system strength" maintaining a stable frequency, or as a preemptive strike to stop prices going negative.

We sometimes get large negative price spikes and same solar and wind farms shut down, coal can't stop and start quickly, it's days an numbered for all sorts of reasons but in particular that reason.

Many solar farms do have contract "power purchasing agreements" set up to make financing easier, it could be the other party can opt out of supply when the PPA price is higher than the market price.

Overall it is very interesting, and while there are issues, it is not proving as difficult as the promoters of Fossil Fuels suggested it would be and it is lowering prices, which we always believed it would.

Last edited:
In terms of how quickly things can change this is relevant:-
Australia's main grid reaches 50 per cent renewables for first time | RenewEconomy

This is the first time, I will not be the last time, it is only a matter of time before this is routine...

And Telsa is well positioned being in an expanding market for Solar and Storage, worldwide, that has decades to run...

Note that 50% was for a moment in time, not for a period of time. Australia has a long way to go, and fights a hostile fossils loving federal govt every step. Latest move by our PM is to try to ban boycott style protests.

Coalition warned outlawing climate boycotts could breach constitution

Note that 50% was for a moment in time, not for a period of time. Australia has a long way to go, and fights a hostile fossils loving federal govt every step. Latest move by our PM is to try to ban boycott style protests.

Coalition warned outlawing climate boycotts could breach constitution

Yeah I know, but if you follow things closely SA is making great progress and I can see other states like VIC are where SA was 2-3 years ago.
We only need one state showing electrcity prices are lower with RE, for the public and voters to catch on.
Many individuals and businesses have caught on and I'm really hoping Tesla Battery investor day has good new on Energy storage batteries..

My guess on 2TWh and 20 Million cars was something like 1.4 TWh for cars leaving 600 GWh for energy storage batteries, there are other energy storage options, but energy storage batteries have the potential to be game changing..

In other words state governments, businesses and private individuals are acting because the federal government has a strange love affair with coal, I'm waiting for one of them to marry a lump of coal, I think coal deserves a steady relationship, after such a long and tempestuous courtship.

So batteries would help the rest of us make progress, while the government and coal enjoy their honeymoon,,,

Model 3 from Giga 3 seems almost ready!! Let's open the floodgate of Gigafactory Shanghai

Nice pun by the way. well explained.

T☰SLA Mania on Twitter
“开门见山” is a Chinese idiom, which literally means “open a door and see the mountain”, and figuratively means “straight to the topic, without any circumlocution”.

“开门见3” sounds similar to “开门见山”, which means “open the door (of Giga Shanghai) and see the Model 3” ️
Edit: add photo

Edit: It was reported by Cleantechnica that quality control is a major focus at Gigafactory Shanghai.
Now it seems shorts and detractors won't find any panel gaps to bitch about :eek:

d778f16cgy1g8ob5jhwt7j20u01g2qv5.jpg

Last edited:
Catching up on the thread, wanted to give my two cents re today's discussion.

I wish we'd never had to talk about FUD and Tesla. Of course, it can be frustrating how pervasive the FUD has been for years and years. It's encouraging that new beating of the FUD drum seems less and less effective re the stock price.

All that said, as to a member here bringing up their frustration with the FUD and/or concern re its impact... that has my empathy.

It has been a real concern.

I was at the annual meeting in June, and when this topic came up there for ten minutes (at 1:22:40) the tone of the room markedly shifted to one with a sense of focus, camaraderie, relief, and enthusiasm that the topic was being brought out in the open. Elon's initial response to the first shareholder to raise the topic was, "it's very distressing... it makes me sad... I don't know what to do about it." That said, he seemed uplifted by the topic being brought up in a supportive way, including several suggested responses in the discussion (more than half shouted from the crowd, so, you have to listen closely if you want to hear them).

At one point, 1:30:35 in the video, in reference to this rampant phenomena he'd already called ~"the most crazy disinformation campaign I've ever seen," Elon paused, and said "I agree we need to take action here."

Finally, fwiw, my personal take on what the impact has been/is

- yes, new FUD seems less impactful on the stock

- yes, as someone pointed out here last week, the microscope probably actually makes Tesla raise the bar even higher

- I do think FUD has and continues to reduce demand for the products

- Tesla may be supply constrained today, but, I do think plans have been shifted due to the FUD impacting demand (i.e., the MR being created, the SR/SR+ being pushed out early, several price cuts in Q1)

- Even if Tesla is supply constrained today, Tesla's demand cushion has taken a material hit... two examples of this,

1) the Q1 price cuts, and early push out of the SR/SR+ I mentioned just above. we can say this was because Tesla was surprised by just how much pull forward there was from Q1 '19 to Q4 '18 due to the first reduction in the US tax credit for Tesla, and I think it was... but, had demand not been suppressed by FUD, I strongly suspect surplus demand would have been more than enough to override that phenomena, and the rash price cuts and moving up of SR/SR+ production would not have been needed.

2) the last explicit number we got suggested about 10% more demand than supply... well, it's much easier to shrug off the potential of a recession in making product and plant production plans in the midst of Teslamania with demand outstripping supply by something on the order of 50% than when your demand is just slightly outstripping supply (that 10% number a month or two ago was framed as a positive, i.e, an uptick in demand).

tl;dr I may not agree with all the interpretations of the member who brought up concerns re the impact of FUD today, but, raising such concerns didn't strike me as disingenuous or out of left field.
Thanks for your comment. The conversation yesterday did have many retreating to their corners around demand as if it were a binary position. The added nuance is well received.

Microgrids are still more likely developing countries than a conventional grid.

If Herbert has mentioned that he is targeting upper middle class folks in those countries, some may prefer a 2-3 year Merc or BMW rather than a new VW. So if they migrate to making EVs for Europe, China and America. Are they still going to continue to make ICE models for these countries?

Herbert might have a plan, but he needs to world to play ball with his plan, the world can make up it's own mind.

I am sure he has done the best possible research, I'm equally sure the past is a very, very, poor predictor of the future at this point in time.

VW assembles in Nigeria and is just about to open an assembly plant in Pakistan.

And Nigeria puts very high tariffs on cars coming in . Old and Used. So assembly facilities have a guaranteed market. Ditto Pakistan. And VW can export tariff free to local African countries.

Said countries are not going to demand higher emission standards than current EU standards. VW built the old bug in Brazil for something like 60 years. No major investments needed in ICE tech.

Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa and projected to surpass US population by 2050, is a major oil producer and plans the largest oil refinery in the world. They will play ball.
In Nigeria, Plans for the World’s Largest Refinery

Egypt is also opening a brand new massive oil refinery. Current population 93M. Estimated 2050 population 150M.
Egypt Qalaa's $3.7 Billion Oil Refinery to Start Up in September

Ditto Mexico.
Mexico’s Pemex to Build Major Oil Refinery

Brazilian Crude Oil Exports Hit Record in 2018 | brazilmonitor.com

Brazil to become major oil exporter, says director of state-run energy firm

I wish more countries were like Norway. Using oil wealth to fund the Sustainable Energy Revolution. Sadly, Norway is an outlier.

Herbert has done his research.

BTW In 1992 leaders of the US,Canada, and Mexico signed the NAFTA Treaty. Tariffs on used cars were supposed be eliminated by 2000 between the three countries. In 2019 tariffs were finally reduced to 1% for cars less than 10 years old and 10% for cars older than 10 years. Then Mexico instituted non-tariff barriers and quotas. To protect local assembly and manufacturing. And Mexico has free trade treaties with just about all of Latin America.

In terms of how quickly things can change this is relevant:-
Australia's main grid reaches 50 per cent renewables for first time | RenewEconomy

This is the first time, I will not be the last time, it is only a matter of time before this is routine...

And Telsa is well positioned being in an expanding market for Solar and Storage, worldwide, that has decades to run...
Great news, this progress is despite a government hostile to renewable energy.

There's still a couple of months until peak summer so this percentage should only go up from here.

Reactions: wipster
Model 3 from Giga 3 seems almost ready!! Let's open the floodgate of Gigafactory Shanghai

Nice pun by the way. well explained.

T☰SLA Mania on Twitter
“开门见山” is a Chinese idiom, which literally means “open a door and see the mountain”, and figuratively means “straight to the topic, without any circumlocution”.

“开门见3” sounds similar to “开门见山”, which means “open the door (of Giga Shanghai) and see the Model 3” ️
Edit: add photo

View attachment 473645

Can you elaborate on what this is? Is this some sort of announcement from Tesla China ?

Can you elaborate on what this is? Is this some sort of announcement from Tesla China ?

Yes the photo is from official Tesla China Weibo account.
Notice the "@特斯拉" (Chinese name of Tesla) watermark in the bottom right corner.

I agree with T☰SLA Mania on Twitter, I think the message of the pun should be interpreted as the "the door/gate of Gigafactory will be open soon", meaning the factory will officially go into production.

Even a 2012 P85+ can reasonably be found for around $40k, but still, that's a lot of money for a used car that old. In comparison, I purchased a new 2014 VW beetle, and that car is now sitting at about $10k, down from I think it was $42k. So, 25% of retail value in 5 years vs. 25% of value in 7 years.

I took delivery of my P85 in March 2013 and cost was in neighborhood of 104K (not counting tax or tax incentives). P85+ had not yet been announced. So, if P85+ is going for $40k, it’s about 40% of value after 6 (okay, maybe 6.5) years. But if someone’s advertising a 2012 P85+, don’t buy from them!

Elon Musk pitches Tesla electric pickup truck to the US military - Electrek

"Tesla’s CEO made the comment during the ‘Air Force Space Pitch Day’ in San Francisco yesterday.

"He was primarily talking about his efforts at SpaceX, which is already working with the US Air Force, but the CEO also briefly pitched the idea of the Tesla electric pickup truck to the military branch:

“We are going to come out with the Tesla pickup truck, or we call it ‘Cybertruck’ – I mean it looks like an armored personal carrier from the future.”

"It’s the second time Musk referred to the Tesla pickup’s design as looking like “an armored personal carrier from the future.

"Musk added during his speech in front of the crowd at the ‘Air Force Space Pitch Day’:

“You might want to try it. You might like it or might not. I like it. It’s gonna look like it came off a movie set when it goes on the road.”