Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people here are betting on a drop after the Cybrtrk reveal, and even saving dry powder for that drop. One thing I’ve learned about the stock market is that it hardly does what we expect it to do. There’s no logic.

No advice :p
Yeah, it kinda feels like buy the rumor sell the news is getting old. Didn't work very well lately. Maybe it's time to stop doing it?

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
Cutting 1000 managers and they still have managers left after that? What a bureacratic horror it must to work in that company. Do they get anything done on short notice or do ten managers have to ok every decision?

And it saves them one billion by the end of 2022? Per year? Do these 1000 managers make a million each? Or is that for 2020, 2021 and 2022? Minus severance fees that still means a salary of half a million each. Aarrghh.
Daimler has 300K employees. Large corporations like one manager per 10-20 employees. So between 15K and 30K managers. Of course, that's only the lowest level of management. Add six or seven layers.

Thursday Nov 14, 2019
---
Will execute a “risk reversal” trade (sell put & buy call) in anticipation that TSLA shares will make a sharp move in response to the truck reveal on Nov 21st.

So with tsla @ $350

SOLD 2 191122 340 puts @ $5.00
and
BOUGHT 2 191122 350 calls @ 8.40 for a debit of $680

Adding a leg to the 350 CALL to lock in profits on the upside

SOLD 2 191122 360 calls @ 6.40

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
If Tim’s message to his fellow shorts is that if TSLA roars to $370, then he’s out. Now imagine that if you’re a short. One of your most ardent leader is capitulating on television, conceding that he may have lost, and his body language (leg shaking) says it all. I wonder if this is a self fulfilling prophecy where Tim’s fellow shorts start to think, I’m not waiting till $370 to bail, I’m bailing now before you do, Tim. I wonder if this has anything to do with today’s price action? The short thesis is crumbling so fast that CNBC did a short covering segment 101 for its viewers. WOW!

perhaps this will put something of a dent in the innocent bystander shorting portion of the ~25% multi-year Tesla short... but, I suspect the innocent bystander portion is at most 5-10 percentage points of the overall short position.

I doubt the bulk of the short position substantially diminishes for at least a few more years.

fwiw, I doubt that Tim actually exits his position at $370 or $375, though it was surprising how nervous he looked.

I gotta go to the gym....here are the beers ...but no drinking till 360!!

beer.gif

A lot of people here are betting on a drop after the Cybrtrk reveal, and even saving dry powder for that drop. One thing I’ve learned about the stock market is that it hardly does what we expect it to do. There’s no logic.

No advice :p
I sold some shares this morning in anticipation of a drop after the truck reveal, so of course the SP is now rising.

You’re welcome, TSLA longs.

Man it seems we have a new member that is full of ...um..." Facts" that under examination are actually bullsugar.

Why do these same type of posters keep showing up?

Almost like they come from some type of farm.

A bot farm....maybe from some other country?

You know how there is Flash and his opposite, Reverse Flash? Fact Checking vs FactsBot.

I assume you are talking about today's positive move in TSLA shares.

News we haven't seen yet? Trading on non-public information is illegal. Yes, it happens but I don't think that's what's at play right now.

Short covering? Definitely some of this. But I don't know why you believe a big player can always unwind their short position in a "more elegant" fashion. Please explain. Because sometimes there are no "elegant" ways to close out a large short position.

Because if I had a short position worth a few $million, I wouldn't be dumping on open market in a hurry, I'd either cover it with buying call and selling puts, or trickle the shares out 100 at a time, preferably when the SP is otherwise moving downwards.

Accumulation? Yes, definitely some of this. But I don't know why you try to compartmentalize big/small players. Everyone plays in the same marketplace and their effects are additive - you can't really separate out the individual players.

Sure, could be a lot of retail, but I'd expect them to move on news, but there is none. Likewise, though, if I were looking to buy several $million of $TSLA then I'd be taking the same strategy as the shorts trying to cover.

MM's adjusting for Friday? Yes, some of this because that always happens with rising prices.

I don't know that it's productive to try to guess all the individual mechanisms of a general, non-sudden, change in price like TSLA shares are going through. I can never "know" any of this stuff with any certainty so I prefer to analyze it from the overview perspective (all effects rolled up together).

It looks like Tesla is going higher. ;)

I'm still mentally prepared for a quick trip back to $337-$342 in the next week or two but am even more confident that it will power higher than the $350's we are currently in. This baby is on a roll that doesn't want to end (and without some bad news, either macro or micro) I cannot see this ending.

A couple of responses above... general observation: I haven't got a clue

Model Y reveal was designed to be lame and muted to prevent taking sales from Model 3, even Musk admitted so.

agree

Many times I've seen among the two or three pieces of advice Elon gives when asked about leading a team, is the importance of creating a tangible model of what you are all working on to achieve, ie, a prototype, to create more passion and commitment for realizing the goal.

I think the cybrtrk event will be perhaps the largest enthusiasm raising event along these lines we've ever seen from Tesla (though the Semi event with the surprise Roadster 2.0 exclamation point blasting out of the back of the semi would be tough to surpass!)

I'm sure it's not lost on Elon how much effort is made to dampen enthusiasm about Tesla and its goals... I suspect Elon will use Thursday's event to deliver some "shock and awe" to try to clear off quite a few layers of the mistrust/dislike Tesla misinformation disenthusiasm campaign.

perhaps this will put something of a dent in the innocent bystander shorting portion of the ~25% multi-year Tesla short... but, I suspect the innocent bystander portion is at most 5-10 percentage points of the overall short position.

I doubt the bulk of the short position substantially diminishes for at least a few more years.

fwiw, I doubt that Tim actually exits his position at $370 or $375, though it was surprising how nervous he looked.

Judging by how nervous he was and how much egg he has on his face, I think he’ll capitulate. Publicly stating your short position and spilling all that FUD opens him up to being a prime target of longs. Now that his fellow citizen shorts are in so much pain, they’ll likely turn on him, making him feel like a clown that he is. Tim’s nervous because he knows he’s wrong, he’s starring down the barrel of both shorts and longs who are ready to give him a piece of their minds when Tesla hits ATH. For a person being in his position, losing credibility is just the beginning, his coworkers and colleagues will call him out, belittle him at the opportune time, they’ll make sure he remembers his mistake. He’ll hear comments like, “this TsLA bet was so obvious, Timmy boy, I can’t believe you didn’t see this train coming.” Or “man, I can’t believe you shorted the apple of cars.” It’s hard to have a comeback line when you’re the butt of the joke, lunch with colleagues will be hard, especially if we publicly keep reminding Tim on twitter how foolish he was. Be sure to leave him lots of love in the comment section ladies and gents. Don’t hold back...

That latest CNBC short covering 101 lesson with full blown charts and 4 minutes worth of embarrassment wasn’t spontaneous, it was planned and likely demanded by his supervisors to save the company from further embarrassment. It was a hedge against the Tesla cult as well as angry emails from shorts who took his advise.

Last edited: