Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's exactly why - S/X owners use that SC to charge before going to work in the morning(!!!). It's a wealthy area with a good amount of early adopters, and it's gotten worse. I agree re: sub-optimal behavior but new S and X models still come with free unlimited supercharging...

View attachment 484708
So "wealthy" people are clogging Superchargers so they can charge for free, rather than the convenience of charging at home?

I guess that's how you get wealthy...

Why would you assume an AI would be a capitalist, or worry about creating goods for people to consume?
That's the issue. AI doesn't "worry" or care about anything. It'll do whatever it's programmed to do. It all comes down to who gets to do the programming. THAT is the problem, and it's a huge one. I feel very certain it will not be decided with a referendum by educated voters; they do not predominate in the US. I happen to live in Shortbus County, where tax exempt churches proliferate, public schools are poorly supported, and Republicans are popular. The outlook is very bleak.

Were a Mod to move this discussion to the appropriate thread, I would not complain.

So "wealthy" people are clogging Superchargers so they can charge for free, rather than the convenience of charging at home?

"Jeeves" recently informed me that high usage SC's are software capped at 80% charge with a minimum of $1.00 per minute idle fee. I promptly informed him that he was to resume charging on the estate. It was a bit of a sad day for him, seems that he rather enjoyed the break from his other duties.

Can you let is know how many miles worth of range is required for people like you where range anxiety is no longer an issue? 1000 miles of range maybe? Perhaps as many supercharger stations as regular gas stations? Because what you guys have is not range anxiety. What I see are people trying to fit a square block into a circle hole.

Not having the ability to charge at home is taking away one of the biggest beneficial reason to get an electric car, which is to stop relying on infrastructure that is out of your control. So you guys picked your poison. Honestly an EV with 1000 miles of range so you guys can stop having range anxiety due to your circumstances is probably worst for climate change. We could offset 4 ICE cars on the road with 1 car with a battery that has 1k range..but instead we have to use the resources to build just 1 ev car just to modify the hole you want to fit that square in.

I personally do not have range anxiety. My LR AWD has been anxiety-free for the full 22,000 miles I've driven in it so far.

Per my original post, however, the many, many prospective owners I have talked to about buying a Tesla have range anxiety. Happy to write more about how many people I've talked to, where I met them, and what their concerns were. Just let me know if that would be helpful to this discussion.

I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, but your word choice is needlessly combative. It also draws a damaging and potentially hurtful line between homeowners and non-homeowners ("people like you" "square block into a circle hole" "you guys picked your poison" "you guys can stop having range anxiety due to your circumstances is probably worst for climate change" "but instead we have to use the resources to build just 1 ev car just to modify the hole you want to fit that square in").

Othering non-homeowners and making them feel guilty because they are the wrong "shape" to own and operate an EV will not help us accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy any faster.

Hmm, looks like it wasn't just one Canadian V3 station that opened this evening, but two :)

upload_2019-12-5_2-18-12.png

Keep on scaling, GF2 - we want to start getting those V3s over here too! :)

I have a dedicated parking spot with a HPWC (and 100% green energy) at my business. Unfortunately I cannot charge at home because my driveway is too steep for the Model 3 to get down (which I was not able to verify before taking delivery). So, in my case even trickle-charging at home isn't an option.

I took delivery within 5 hours of placing my order (unusual, yes) so I didn't have time to prepare charging in advance. My worst case scenario was installing a HPWC at work... which became necessary. But most folks probably can't do that so easily since they are dependent on management, feasibility, and permitting. During my first month of ownership I was at that SC every other day so I got to know it very well. Hence showing up at 5 am ;)

I like to get outdoors so on the weekend when I return home from adventuring I occasionally stop at that SC to get just enough charge to make it home and back to work the following Monday. Going to that SC (right off the interstate) is about 2.5 hrs faster than detouring to work and charging at 48A. So the time vs cost trade off for me is worth it. I can't imagine I'm unique in needing to use a local SC a couple times a month?

My point here being... Tesla grows through word of mouth. Owners local to that SC who don't travel to other SCs might think that all SCs are that crowded, so they might include that tidbit as fact when talking about the pros and cons of ownership to prospective buyers. That gives people range anxiety. Double so for people who know they can't charge at home but are trying to buy an EV regardless. I would say range anxiety is the #2 reason people don't buy Teslas... #1 is price.

Yes, that's exactly why - S/X owners use that SC to charge before going to work in the morning(!!!). It's a wealthy area with a good amount of early adopters, and it's gotten worse. I agree re: sub-optimal behavior but new S and X models still come with free unlimited supercharging...

View attachment 484708

Probably not a problem if you throw money at it. However, it is a problem for widespread adoption as there must be many others like you who's home is technically capable of hosting an ev, but cannot due to one technically small detail.

Yes, exactly. There is a manager at my work who makes 6 figures and drives an older Model S. He goes to the local supercharger several times a week to charge for free while he works on his laptop. That supercharger is never busy (yet) so at least he's not making anyone wait.

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Could be weighing along with Unsworth trial.

Tesla's Gigafactory Had Millions in Material Stolen From It. But Elon Musk Feared an Investigation
From that article:
It is worth noting, however, that the investigators acknowledged in the report that Tesla's cooperation with the investigation improved in 2019.

In other words this is a rehash of an old article that I even remember from a year ago. In other other words, FUD.

In my opinion, the satellite view isn't functional because it's not possible to read the street names without stopping the car and looking closely. I've looked at it a couple of times over the years, but haven't actually used it.
I think the only time I've had a useful use for it (rather than just using it to show people what it can do for the "oh wow!") was when I was attending a friend's wedding at his apartment complex's clubhouse, but they had more than one clubhouse (and attached pool) so I had him describe the shape of the pool, and was able to find the right clubhouse that way.

There was a distinct lack of useful signage or I could have simply followed the signs ...

Just as there are some that routinely wait to pump gas at Costco but who say, "I saw a line at Costco last Friday night while visiting friends in a part of town I rarely frequent so I'm thinking a gas car is not for me.

The difference is you can easily go to Joe Schmoe across the street and pay ~$0.10 more per gallon and wait less than 5 minutes. Or sometimes not at all.

There is usually one gas station in a neighborhood that is ~$0.15 more per gallon than Costco and is never full.

The difference is you can easily go to Joe Schmoe across the street and pay ~$0.10 more per gallon and wait less than 5 minutes. Or sometimes not at all.

There is usually one gas station in a neighborhood that is ~$0.15 more per gallon than Costco and is never full.
Funny thing, the place I charge is never full and never has a line. It's called my garage. Just sayin'.

You are talking edge cases. Do they happen?...yes. Are they a pain when they do?...yes. Are they the norm?...absolutely, unequivocally, not.

Dan

But people rather wait in line at Costco instead of going across the street???? Just saying

Reactions: Skryll
You posted and adopted their comparison of the Taycan to the ... Model X, and when @KarenRei challenged the apples to oranges comparison you tried to defend it - so now you cannot hide behind the "but they wrote it, not me" excuse.

... and totally not because this weird comparison of a sedan to a SUV makes the Taycan look better. :D

What's next - not considering the Cybertruck a competitor of the F-450, because they are not in the same price category?

I can try to explain the reasoning of Wetherby news if I want.

And it is not apples and oranges.

A crossover with a coupe back that is priced between $85k and $135k is not radically different than a sedan priced $105k to ~200k especially when we know Max plaid is coming next summer than increases the max price of Model X and we will get a base Taycan at about $85k. Especially so when talking about BEVs were most manufactures don't have 20 models but at most 3.

And there will be overlap between Cybertruck and F450 prices.

F450 starts at the same price as dual motor Cybertruck.