Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Troy's latest delivery estimates are out:

Up from 104k to 106k and optimistic about demand.

I agree with this mostly my estimate is 105k Q4 deliveries: Fremont production was probably around 7k/week in this quarter, supporting 90k Model 3's - plus 15k S/X.

GF3 is a wildcard of maybe 2k additional deliveries.

I also like it how Troy's early estimates are close to the end-of-quarter estimates.
He meant 83,106.

@TradingInvest , you disagreed, can you explain how aero loading in a wind tunnel would be a factor of the car is strapped down to the dyno and therefore not actually pushing through the air?

It is (or at least could be)pushing through the air. You’re just looking at the wrong reference frame. It has to push through the air in order to not slow down/go backwards.

It is (or at least could be)pushing through the air. You’re just looking at the wrong reference frame. It has to push through the air in order to not slow down/go backwards.
I suspect that' it's near impossible to keep a car centered in a set of dyno rollers without being strapped down.

Last edited:
@TradingInvest , you disagreed, can you explain how aero loading in a wind tunnel would be a factor of the car is strapped down to the dyno and therefore not actually pushing through the air?
It would make sense for the dyno to measure the net (aero) drag force (it is transferred to the dyno rollers after all) and adjust the torque load accordingly. That way you can properly account for aerodynamic drag while doing controlled testing. I don't know if that's what they actually do, but it's what they should do, or an equivalent where separate wind-tunnel tests are done to record the drag force and then just play this back as additional drag on the dyno during the test.

Reactions: Dig deeper
OK, so the EPA doesn't take cars out on the road... they do their tests on a dyno. (I hope it's in a wind tunnel!!!) I can see the attraction of an on-road test though you are bound to get variances, e.g. headwinds/tailwinds due to the weather! EPA seems to have the right idea, you can't allow weather-related variances to mess with the consistency of the test.

Manufacturers have to do their own EPA testing. EPA just reviews and audits.

How Vehicles Are Tested

It would make sense for the dyno to measure the net (aero) drag force (it is transferred to the dyno rollers after all) and adjust the torque load accordingly. That way you can properly account for aerodynamic drag while doing controlled testing. I don't know if that's what they actually do, but it's what they should do, or an equivalent where separate wind-tunnel tests are done to record the drag force and then just play this back as additional drag on the dyno during the test.
Again, I doubt this is possible… keeping an accelerating car centered on rollers without straps would be very difficult.

Hence my question: How does a wind tunnel make a difference if the car is strapped down?

Last edited:
Text article: Jim Cramer: Why I Became a Tesla True Believer but Remain a Netflix Skeptic
About three months ago my eldest daughter got a chance to drive a Model 3 from Oregon to San Francisco.
But within the first 100 miles she called me - that in itself exciting - to tell me how much she loved being behind the wheel of the darned thing. She's never ever expressed even a whit of interest in a vehicle and now she's bragging about it?

I can understand a little his daughter feels. My sister-in-law law has never been a car person, but loves her Model 3 LR. I asked her recently if, after >1 year, she is still liking it, and she said she loves it even more. Teslas have a way of making car-people out of many who never would be otherwise.

@scaesare, I re-read your post, I was wrong. Air resistance is an important factor for milage, but when the car is strapped down, wind tunnel doesn't make any difference. So you are exactly right.

img_2074.jpg

Deadline Approaches for Mark Spiegel’s January 2020 Puts –– Whole Mars Catalog

ha!

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Taycan buyers are not impressed to say the least. Expect a lot of cancellations and new orders for Tesla.

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

No there’s not, I am a regular on that site and you have a lot Tesla owners making noise in that thread. Actually the Tesla owners ( own Porsches and Teslas) out number the Porsche owners on the Taycan forum.

Are the potential owners happy? No, but the number release was the number predicted though many were hoping for better.