Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. But long, 80'. Took me a while to make time to watch it. But good. Not all new, to us.

Fortunately doesn't need to be watched, listening is enough - there are no graphics or anything.

Just a couple of guys sitting at a table talking into microphones.

Now if it had been with Tasha Keeney, that I would have watched - no offence, Alex.

Last edited:
That's why its a bad bill.

The correct way to do this would be X number of total EVs - irrespective of the manufacturer. In no other incentive do we have a manufacturer limit - why only in cars ?

Anyway - as a separate bill not sure how this will ever get past the Senate & Trump. As a part of the budget/CR deal - possible.
Plus it should be a cash rebate, not a tax credit, as there are many potential buyers who don't pay enough tax to take advantage of the credit. A rebate would be far more effective and fair as every purchaser could take advantage. Also, while it may have been mentioned, how would it apply to a lease? A lot of new Teslas are leased instead of being purchased outright...

That's why its a bad bill.

The correct way to do this would be X number of total EVs - irrespective of the manufacturer. In no other incentive do we have a manufacturer limit - why only in cars ?

Anyway - as a separate bill not sure how this will ever get past the Senate & Trump. As a part of the budget/CR deal - possible.

I would love to see Tesla as the only manufacturer that produces the hundreds of millions of EVs that will be sold in the next two decades, but that’s not going to happen.
If the intent is to stimulate production of EV’s, the best way to do it is to make Tesla’s competition “try harder”.
The best way to make others try harder is to make the playing field level for Tesla so Tesla will continue to have the resources to keep raising the bar.

Electrek - 2 hours ago: https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/15/t...ongress-is-looking-at-renewing-ev-tax-credit/

Below is what I have most recently written to those who represent me in Congress. Others may want to do the same.

Please change the wording in the bill that proposes an expansion of Electric Vehicle (EV) tax credits. The bill could be greatly improved by providing a universal SUNSET date, or a quota for the TOTAL number of new EVs delivered in the US, rather than the currently proposed production limit per manufacturer.

The individual production limit for each manufacturer punishes the risk-taking American innovators that were first to make EVs, while giving the latecomers (including foreigners) reason to dawdle even longer.

The tax credit goes to car buyers, not the manufacturers, so it makes no sense to relate the tax credit to individual production quotas for each company. Consumers should not be forced to choose an EV based on which particular brands still qualify for tax credits.

In any event, please see that the EV tax credit expansion bill is passed in some shape or form. But do not include hybrid vehicles, which would defeat the purpose. Our prospects for a future with clean air and a non-harmful climate are depending on you.
I wonder whether the sunset date would be better linked to a target related to a goal. E.g. it ends when 20% of new vehicle sales in a year are pure EV, or when x number of cities have air quality improvements of y%.

My cybertruck RN# post was deleted by a mod? And the reply by another to calculate estimated # of orders?? Interesting.

Goodbye forever, folks. Been fun.

Mod edit: forum participants have been given warning after warning after warning to place non-market discussion of CT in appropriate site, and after one week, enforcements began.
They've been cracking down, and fair enough, it does derail the conversation.
Screenshot_20191216-084537_Chrome.jpg

I could have done without the outdated insult though. :p

In Germany the announced but not yet introduced improved EV subsidies have essentially killed all EV sales until VW is ready to sell their I.D.

Unrelated and coincidentally the improved subsidies were announced the very day Merkel was publicly attending the production start of the I.D.

This also explains the curious detail why the I.D. 3 won't be sold until the second half of 2020 despite production "having started" in October already: every month of delay is now an advantage to VW.

So the German EV shenanigans have started - at least it's not a permanent barrier like the 360 cm length limit for subsidies, a trial balloon that VW originally floated ...

This also explains the curious detail why the I.D. 3 won't be sold until the second half of 2020 despite production "having started" in October already: every month of delay is now an advantage to VW.

So the German EV shenanigans have started - at least it's not a permanent barrier like the 360 cm length limit for subsidies, a trial balloon that VW originally floated ...

Started? They have been at it for years and never finished... ;-)

If you check here: BAFA - Elektromobilität you will find the German authorities say that at this point there is nothing to be seen / nothing to be heard and people should go away until January 2nd - there is still no news about the new subsidies...

On the other hand it is not all bad: the German (federal) minister for Economic development Altmaier is offering the state of Brandenburg assistance in getting Tesla accommodated, up and running: Altmaier bietet Hilfe des Bundes für Tesla-Fabrik in Brandenburg an (a few years ago that guy famously had a public outburst when discussing with German car CEOs about when they will finally be able to offer an EV as good as Tesla - so he gets it).

The EV bill presents an interesting delima to someone about to take delivery of a Tesla in the next two weeks. Do they take delivery and guarantee the current credit which expires at the end of the quarter, or cancel delivery in the hope of getting a $7,000 credit in January, knowing that if it doesn't pass, then they just lost the expiring credit.... One in the hand, vs two in the bush.... :confused:

The way I read the bill, if they buy now and it passes in 2020, they get the $7000 amount. There is no downside to purchasers.

(1) IN GENERAL.—In the case of any new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle sold after the date of the enactment of the GREEN Act of 2019— ‘(A) if such vehicle is sold during the transition period, the amount determined under subsection (b)(2) shall be reduced by $500, and

(B) if such vehicle is sold during the phaseout period, only the applicable percentage of the credit otherwise allowable under subsection (a) shall be allowed.

(2) TRANSITION PERIOD.—For purposes of this subsection, the transition period is the period subsequent to the first date on which the number of new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles manufactured by the manufacturer of the vehicle referred to in paragraph (1) sold for use in the United States after December 31, 2009, is at least 200,000.

Luckily, the only 200k step downs occured this year. Otherwise, it would require annended returns.

I would love to see Tesla as the only manufacturer that produces the hundreds of millions of EVs that will be sold in the next two decades, but that’s not going to happen.

I wouldn't be too sure about that if I were you. I don't want to guess the exact probability of this scenario, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility imo. Thus far all of the traditional OEMs' EVs have sold pretty low volume. If the next wave of EVs (ID.3, Mach-E, etc.) disappoint in similar fashion and only manage to sell 5-digit numbers per year, and if Tesla executes on Model Y ramp and gets to a yearly production of 1M+ per year, it could start to become a very real possibility that Tesla will end up being the only player in the automotive industry. Maybe even the entire transportation industry if they do the same with autonomy.

Elon has done the exact same thing in the commercial launch services industry. In ~15 years SpaceX went from incorporation to basically making all the competition obsolete.

Up nearly $3 in premarket, though the German stocks are weird. (E) 324.15 is about 8$ less than premarket.

It isn't really: EUR/USD is 1.1123 at the moment and the Frankfurt price is €324.05/€324.35, which is $360.44/$360.77, which is closely tracking the NASDAQ pre-market price of $361.38 to within a dollar.

Last quarter (Q3) the stock initially fell on release of the production and delivery numbers. Then we got a nice ~$15 bump over the next couple of weeks (where it settled in around $255) until the financials were released. At that point, it gapped up ~$40 and continued to climb to $360.

How it plays out this quarter is anybody's guess.:cool:
The Q3 number was below the 100,000 goal set by Elon, giving shorts the opportunity to manufacture a show of market disappointment. That was short lived (so to speak) once the market digested that the number was high enough to generate lots of profit.

Q4? Maybe harder for the shorts to manipulate.

The Q3 number was below the 100,000 goal set by Elon, giving shorts the opportunity to manufacture a show of market disappointment. That was short lived (so to speak) once the market digested that the number was high enough to generate lots of profit.

Actually, the market didn't digest that outcome, and the Q3 results Tesla posted took them (and us) by complete surprise, and TLSA gapped up about $60 and is now about $100 higher than the day the Q3 results were published.

Small anecdote: when I was reading the Q3 financial report on October 23 as it was released I initially read the "$143M GAAP net income" headline as ($143m), i.e. a smaller than expected loss. I was pleasantly surprised about the narrowing GAAP loss (TMC bulls expected a -$200m-$300m GAAP loss) but thought the after-market price reaction a bit excessive.

Only when I was reading the fine-grained numbers did I realize, several minutes later, that Tesla actually posted a +$143m profit, not a -$143m loss. :D

Last edited: