Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marco beat me by four minutes!!!!

The reason this is momentous enough to merit a post (2 posts!) in this thread is that a record nineteen SpCs along that middle stretch of the Trans-Canada opened today. That represents a distance of about 1750 kms.

On edit: twenty! Upsala Ontario showed up later in the day.

Last edited:
This guy can't wait two years.

EL1-k1QWkAAhnsO

Hi

If you had cash to deploy at a Tesla which option would you time? Shares? Options? If options what expiry and strike?

I am trying to make a plan for 2020 and since Tesla is at all time high its hard to pick a strategy.

Thanks
Shares would be the simplest / less risk.

Nobody is going to advice you on options as that is high risk and should be personal decision, so you don't feel in the future like someone else is responsible for your trouble.

As @FrankSG noted above, premiums for options are currently high and you have to have a lot of conviction to believe that SP will go much higher very soon to beat those premiums. Nobody will guarantee something like this.

BTW, anybody make anything from Musk's twitter reference to Technetium:
Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 4.33.08 PM.png

The WikiPedia entry (Technetium - Wikipedia) says: "It is a very rare example of a molecular metal oxide..."
and "When steel is immersed in water, adding a small concentration (55 ppm) of potassium pertechnetate(VII) to the water protects the steel from corrosion, even if the temperature is raised to 250 °C (523 K).[88] For this reason, pertechnetate has been used as an anodic corrosion inhibitor for steel, although technetium's radioactivity poses problems that limit this application to self-contained systems."

Maybe Tesla or SpaceX found a way around or an application where they can live with the radioactivity?

Must be disappointing that
1/22 790c were selling for $19 today

Just a couple of weeks ago @SpaceCash jumped on 1/22 640c and they were like $22 then.

Can't grab a bunch for a buck anymore like some of those 1/21 600+s were going for.

When the Jan'22 options just came out, even the $400s were trading around $25. Shortly after there was a dip in SP from $240 to $215, and there were a couple of Jan'22 $400s that sold for $16.x.

View attachment 490842

The WikiPedia entry (Technetium - Wikipedia) says: "It is a very rare example of a molecular metal oxide..."
and "When steel is immersed in water, adding a small concentration (55 ppm) of potassium pertechnetate(VII) to the water protects the steel from corrosion, even if the temperature is raised to 250 °C (523 K).[88] For this reason, pertechnetate has been used as an anodic corrosion inhibitor for steel, although technetium's radioactivity poses problems that limit this application to self-contained systems."

Maybe Tesla or SpaceX found a way around or an application where they can live with the radioactivity?
I'll take a gander at Tc's decay pattern later, but here's an idea. If the pertechnetate can be restricted to coating the vehicle's exterior, it is not at all beyond the realm of likelihood that the steel sheet would perfectly shield its occupants. I'm not saying I would be garaging the CT in my livingroom, however. Anyway, the word maven in me loves the idea of Tc on a Ct.

View attachment 490842

That’s an interesting find. I wouldn’t have thought Tc would have any industrial applications. I think it’s a bit of a stretch though just from the cost/benefit side. But I really don’t know tbh.

Tc did have an important historical role in astrophysics, however. It was detected spectroscopically in the atmosphere of red giant stars. Since red giants are much older than the longest-lived Tc isotope, this amounted to proof that heavy elements are made in red giants.

Hi

If you had cash to deploy at a Tesla which option would you time? Shares? Options? If options what expiry and strike?

I am trying to make a plan for 2020 and since Tesla is at all time high its hard to pick a strategy.

Thanks
Personally, for every $20k spare capital I have I would sell a Jan 2022 put at around 250 to pay for the Jan 2022 call I would buy around 500.
Not advice

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and abasile
Hi

Thanks

Hard to give specific advice, because nobody knows your life, investment goals, income, risk tolerance, etc, etc. You have to decide for yourself.

With that being said, all time highs are generally not a good time to buy call options. Premiums are extremely steep right now, and you have to believe stock will go MUCH higher for it to be a good idea to buy call options. If you think SP is going $800+ by early 2022, or $600+ by early 2021, by all means buy some call options, but risk/reward on them is mediocre right now imo.

If I had cash available, I would either buy shares, or sell cash covered puts and then hold the shares if they get assigned to me. You can always sell some of those shares to buy call options if SP dips back to $350 or something.

Last edited:
View attachment 490842

I just took it to mean that there's so little of it in nature, there are no applications for it... but you just blew that theory up.

View attachment 490842

Since it’s abbreviated TC, I figured this was a reference to TeslaCharts (Twitter TSLAQ leader) becoming irrelevant.

edit: similar to this earlier tweet, which could be directed at Wallstcynic or Montanaskeptic.
BAE2B6E4-4D31-4283-BA7C-4CD08F787D8C.jpeg

View attachment 490842

What is its half life?

• Helpful
Reactions: capster